Discuss Scratch

Prince_Wolf1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

a suggestion - filterbot specificness

TheOneAndOnlySnx wrote:

100% support. Simply highlighting or underlining the bad words would make it so the kids wouldn't know how to use them properly, meaning that they'd have to look them up, shifting the blame off of Scratch. If parents don't want to use Scratch because it tells their kids what not to say, it's not that big of a deal– Scratch isn't a paid service.
Yes it is.scratch is used in schools.they don’t want a bunch of schools complaining it’s showing bad words
It would still be scratches fault, because they would hav taught the word in the first place and made them want to look it up.

Do you like dogs?
I'm a 12 year old girl who spends most of her time on scratch on the forums.I like Warrior Cats, Percy Jackson, and WW2 books.I love music and I like AJR, BoyWithUke, And Hamilton.

you'll mostly see me in Suggestions, Questions About Scratch, and a little in Bugs And Glitches.I'm also in Things I'm Reading And Playing a little bit.i might be in Warrior Cats and School Computers

remix this with what color you think would be good for scratch’s dark mode!/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Spentine
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support! Once I posted my HSL to RGB on median’s profile and I got muted. It contained “8))+(h” in a math equation represented in scratchblocks somewhere. It was so confusing!

pls dont comment “a” on my profile

also my connect 4 AI
medians
Scratcher
1000+ posts

There was a duplicate, so bringing this up.

Spentine wrote:

Support! Once I posted my HSL to RGB on median’s profile and I got muted. It contained “8))+(h” in a math equation represented in scratchblocks somewhere. It was so confusing!
I mean, that's kind of stupid to block, but at the same time, this might cause kids to learn bad words.
Also I'm not sure if this would just show you the “word” it happened in since if that's the case, it could detect things next to each other as well.

Medians bamboozled by 3.0 (version 3.0): https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/979822351/
hi875230163394: You're similar to valve in that you both hate a certain number…
Scratch 0.x, 1.x, 2.x, 3.x and LogoBlocks Archives
Bamboozlement: https://scratch.mit.edu/studios/33739789
Years on internet: 15 (soon 16)
medians: Oh god not this utc - 12 thing again..
Fun_Cupcake_i81: What, were you expecting not to see the utc - 12 thing again? THE UTC - 12 THIGN ALWAYS RETURNS. ALWAYS.
medians: I knew it would happen. I was the one who started it last year.
Fun_Cupcake_i81: Well then if you didn't want it back maybe you need to time travel to last year and fix that

Oh wait if you could time travel I think we all know exactly when you would go-
user1: That picture is from 2.0. Now he’s at my house and is my pet.
user2: But this is medians we're talking about, so “from 2.0” can mean the same thing as “from five seconds ago”.

Detect Scratch version here
My other accounts: @selfexplanatory @modesties @chaircard @fireflyhero @dividendyield @colloids @radians @skeuamorphism @dihectogon @anglebisector @aau- @EditBlockColors @AdamantOrb @MoongeistBeam @festively @Ampharos_ @straightforwardness
i trolled redcat LOL

if you see this
{what method did you use::control hat
answer on profile ::motion
} ::operators
;
Elijah999999
Scratcher
1000+ posts

WindOctahedron wrote:

CatGuyAnimates wrote:

I do NOT support. If one accidentally typed a bad word and the filter said “NO! No say BLANK!” Then bam, the child learned a new bad word. Now he/she/they cannot use Scratch because of the very reason the filter exists.
Learning that something is inappropriate ≠ using something inappropriate. In fact, if you knew that something is forbidden and you could get punished for doing that, you would avoid it, wouldn't you? And if you didn't know that there are rules, wouldn't the chance of you breaking them increase?
The main point, telling children inappropriate words is bad.
At least they would know what not to say. Sure, they can misuse the warning and speak rudely, but that's why the report button was created - to tell the Scratch Team that they broke the rules, and let them stop the user.
But they still learned it. Even if they don't use it, they still had to see it, and that's not okay.

Quit.
Kokonaroshi
Scratcher
55 posts

Pros:
  • You'll know if you got muted unfairly
  • You'll know what not to say on Scratch
Cons:
  • Children could learn words that are bad/have an inappropriate meaning
  • Children could look up the word they got muted for and find some bad/inappropriate stuff online

Alright, now for the hard part: finding a somewhat permanent signature
Kokonaroshi
Scratcher
55 posts

Jactheminecrafter wrote:

I was wondering about the video sensing thing. I was using a Chromebook and I also made sure to give Scratch permission to use my camera/webcam. I made sure to double check in the chromebook settings and it's still not working I think. So does anyone know how to fix this problem(s)?
This is unrelated to this topic.

Alright, now for the hard part: finding a somewhat permanent signature
sonic__fan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

No support, this could tell people what words to bypass or teach kids swear words.

This is my signature. It is not a part of this post and it appears under every post I make.
Sonic Says
Every world has its end. I know that's kinda sad, but, that's why we have to live life to the fullest in the time we have. At least… that's what I figure.
Hey there, I'm sonic__fan. I just look for good suggestions to add to Scratch.
TECHNOBLADE NEVER DIES
Walimimi
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sorry, I made a mistake

Last edited by Walimimi (May 27, 2023 18:37:37)

Hi! I'm Walimimi, but you can call me Mimi!
I am fluent in English, French and Russian!
I love reading, drawing, and the book series Warrior Cats!
My favorite character in Warrior Cats is Jayfeather!
I 200% support lgbbbttqqiaappn+!
Walimimi
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sorry, this is the original

Last edited by Walimimi (May 27, 2023 18:38:12)

CT-OfficialScratcher
Scratcher
500+ posts

Walimimi
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I confused it with another topic, sorry! I'm really sorry, I thought it was a duplicate, but this one is the original!

Last edited by Walimimi (May 27, 2023 18:38:36)

Zydrolic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bump because of 2 dupes total

Suggestions
SDS Helper reqs should be upped - Show/hide via context menu - Revise “ask the community” - Browser not supported - Empty comment contrast
Other
a bit of trolling (i asked before putting it here) - tamaNOTchi
- This account's usage is irregular

stop posting about kumquats, im tired of seeing it, my friend comments saying “oh hey your post was eaten by a kumquat” STOP a kumquat is freaking fruit just eat it utp ojtishglkmkjhgaoeimrlV,5KU9MOIL3K5GP,Ő AHTAHGTARET SOTP positing ABJTOUT IT (parody & sarcasm)

bad joke:

Most of this is now going to become a meme storage.

thank you ajskateboarder

This dialouge box has more than one sentence to say!

mumu245
Scratcher
1000+ posts

WindOctahedron wrote:

Learning that something is inappropriate ≠ using something inappropriate. In fact, if you knew that something is forbidden and you could get punished for doing that, you would avoid it, wouldn't you? And if you didn't know that there are rules, wouldn't the chance of you breaking them increase?
I second this. I really hate how vague the Scratch rules are. They should make it clear where they are drawing the line, and this is a good way. The filter should not mute for a very simple reason: other langauges.

Last edited by mumu245 (Aug. 5, 2023 14:46:15)

select this text then press Ctrl+Shift+Down to read more
Horsekatto
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CatGuyAnimates wrote:

WindOctahedron wrote:

CatGuyAnimates wrote:

I do NOT support. If one accidentally typed a bad word and the filter said “NO! No say BLANK!” Then bam, the child learned a new bad word. Now he/she/they cannot use Scratch because of the very reason the filter exists.
The main point, telling children inappropriate words is bad.
At least they would know what not to say. Sure, they can misuse the warning and speak rudely, but that's why the report button was created - to tell the Scratch Team that they broke the rules, and let them stop the user.
Think of it from the point of view of a parent. Would you want your child learning bad words? Learning its inappropriate may cause some children to want to use it even more. Teaching children bad words when they accidentally type them may cause some parents to think Scratch is not friendly for children.
Most kids already learn bad words from their parents or school anyway accident or not.

All hail Starscream. If you don't know who Starscream is look at this: https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Main_Page
KnockScream forever!
yes No I'm not a Lute simp! I d-don't know what you mean! *sweats nervously*
I mostly post Transformers stuff. And I like HH but that shows not appropriate for scratch so I'll probably post my ocs and not much else.
“”I'd rather be alone than unhappy.“ - Whitney Houston. ”All your jokes land flat, you got a stupid hat
And frankly, that bow tie doesn't suit you."- Discord (MLP) roasting Bill Cipher.
sf97ahgf
Scratcher
100+ posts

Support.
Anyone saying that a kid might have learned a bad word, very unlikely.
For one, kids know most bad words around age 6. And I don't think anyone below that age should be interacting with strangers online.

“It seems I am not the only spy.”
“Spy in our midst!”
“Spy, gentlemen!”
“Spy among us!”
“That Scout is a Spy.”
“The Soldier is a Spy.”
“The Pyro is a Spy.”
“The Demoman is a Spy.”
“The Heavy is a Spy.”
“The Engineer is a Spy.”
“The Medic is a Spy.”
“The Sniper is a Spy.”