Discuss Scratch

hankninja
Scratcher
9 posts

Update the bad word detector

GamesGuyTV wrote:

I think the bad word detector needs an update

1. Ok when someone types in a bad word in a project the bad word detector does appear but it leaves it here on when someone leaves the project without removing it, it's still there So have it automatically censor it if they leave the project without removing the bad word.

Phase 1: Bad Word detector appears on project (Goes to Phase 2 if user puts a bad word like, 5 times)
Phase 2: Alert is sent to user
Phase 3: lose the privilege to edit your project's description/credits (For 15 minutes)
Phase 4: A one week ban (Ban time doubles if you continue to make bad words)
I've been thinking that phase 3 time doubles up based ion how many times you've been banned/i]

I also been thinking that If you put like 10 swear words into your description instead of going to phase 1, it just goes straight to phase 2 but if more than 10, it goes to

Here is a mock-up image for phase 2:

2. Remove the X button on the bad word detector because people could use that as a way to get rid of it So have it always display so no one can forget about it until they remove it.

This is what I'm talking about

3. When the bad word detector appears, it makes a sound to tell you that you typed in a bad word.

4. Have the bad word detector go off if they say “Get rid of the Extensions policy!!!!” or anything related to it.

5. Add any known links leading to browser extensions..

6. Make the bad word detector go off if you type in something like B** W***.
I do not think
pandacorn_owl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

GamesGuyTV wrote:

1. Ok when someone types in a bad word in a project the bad word detector does appear but it leaves it here on when someone leaves the project without removing it, it's still there So have it automatically censor it if they leave the project without removing the bad word.
I don't see a point censoring unpublished projects for one so if this were to be a feature it should only be in effect if you pressed publish

GamesGuyTV wrote:

Phase 1: Bad Word detector appears on project (Goes to Phase 2 if user puts a bad word like, 5 times)
Phase 3: lose the privilege to edit your project's description/credits (For 15 minutes)
I've been thinking that phase 3 time doubles up based ion how many times you've been banned/i]
Of course, phase 1 currently happens and that's perfectly fine. Phase 2 seems a tad unnecessary but I'm ok with it. Phase 3 seems silly how are you supposed to fix your description if you can't edit it. For phase 3 I suppose a mute would be ok in line with the muted you get on the rest of the site (which didn't exist when this was suggested). Phase 4 is far too extreme though I think you should just stick with mutes though they're annoying if you didn't know a word is censored it can easily just be waited out.

GamesGuyTV wrote:

I also been thinking that If you put like 10 swear words into your description instead of going to phase 1, it just goes straight to phase 2 but if more than 10, it goes to phase 3 instead

It would also be nice if the bad word detector bans the user if they post to many bad words in a short period of time
I don't think there are many people out there who are just spamming swear words on Scratch but I suppose they should be banned but not by a bot by a ST member instead

GamesGuyTV wrote:

2. Remove the X button on the bad word detector because people could use that as a way to get rid of it So have it always display so no one can forget about it until they remove it.
I think this has been implemented

GamesGuyTV wrote:

3. When the bad word detector appears, it makes a sound to tell you that you typed in a bad word.
I think a large box is obvious enough and this could scare someone as it would be out of nowhere

GamesGuyTV wrote:

4. Have the bad word detector go off if they say “Get rid of the Extensions policy!!!!” or anything related to it.
I think others have explained why this is bad.

GamesGuyTV wrote:

Sounds like it would already be true and if it's not it seems like a fine suggestion

GamesGuyTV wrote:

What about people making an aesthetic title like this ********Hello*********
Edit: I can't be bothered to make this not in italics so I guess we all have to deal with it

Last edited by pandacorn_owl (Nov. 21, 2021 18:27:02)

Hello I'm a human who used to be active on the forums but sometimes reappears for fun and stuff. I can't be bothered to make a cool signature right now so umm here's a smiley face
kat-coder
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Massive support. This will make Scratch safer for the little ones…

-kat-coder

(1000 Posts. (✔::operators)(❌::variables)(❌)(❌)(❌) 5000 Posts! 

Useful Links:

To advertise your Scratch project, Go Here!
To play around with ScratchBlocks, Go Here!
To contact the Scratch Team, Go Here!
To check out my latest Scratch project, Go Here!
Jackson49_test
Scratcher
100+ posts

Bump
Enderman280001-B
Scratcher
1 post

I do not think that Discord is a bad word, it is just an application
Nooby_the_noob675
Scratcher
32 posts

GamesGuyTV wrote:

I also been thinking that If you put like 10 swear words into your description instead of going to phase 1, it just goes straight to phase 2 but if more than 10, it goes to phase 3 instead

It would also be nice if the bad word detector bans the user if they post to many bad words in a short period of time

Here is a mock-up image for phase 2:

This is what I'm talking about

support, sometimes the bad word detector needs to be fixed for many reasons such as the bad word detector going of even thought you did not type a bad word

Oh no! noobys freinds have been caught and its up to YOU to save them!
PLAY THE DEMO NOW! https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/872558753/
if ur here before real game shoutout to u
Crispydogs101
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Enderman280001-B wrote:

It is an application but it's 13 to 16+ and has unmoderated chatting.

Hey! Look at this DTA!
Hej! My username is @Crispydogs101. I like listening to music, playing games, and more!
Sarah and duck, Pete the cat, Pegboard nerds, Tokyo machine, FORZA FAN!! Be High contrast Blue Be rich
Elijah999999
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Enderman280001-B wrote:

It isn't moderated and it's easy to share personal information, both of which the ST hates, also, it's age rating is like triple what Scratch's is. Citation needed.

Last edited by Elijah999999 (July 21, 2023 23:32:10)

No longer using the forums unless necessary.

Go to the sound library, find the sound called “Ya” and hit reverse :0

Really, stop with the “support/no support” thing. I don't care if you give a reason. If you have a reason you don't need to add this to your post in the first place. Stop acting like your opinion makes a difference. It doesn't. Opinions were never the point. The point is whether or not it's a good suggestion. If you can give a good reason at why this is a good idea or point out a flaw, do it, but don't take sides.
This is not sarcasm.