Discuss Scratch

zuwel
Scratcher
500+ posts

LocoHouse - general discussion page

PintOfMilk wrote:

zuwel wrote:

I think a real time battle with projectiles (canons) could be feasible. If I have the time, I'll see if I can make a small prototype.
With my equation?
Once I get the basic framework done, I'll add the xp/leveling system. What is the effect of levels on a ship?

BirdLover198
Scratcher
100+ posts

PintOfMilk wrote:

zuwel wrote:

I think a real time battle with projectiles (canons) could be feasible. If I have the time, I'll see if I can make a small prototype.
With my equation?

you want a battle ship game right?

This is Jeff, protector of my currently unknown signature.
He seems a little suspicious of you at the moment

Vector artist for LocoHouse!
zuwel
Scratcher
500+ posts

BirdLover198 wrote:

PintOfMilk wrote:

zuwel wrote:

With my equation?

That's the idea

BirdLover198
Scratcher
100+ posts

zuwel wrote:

BirdLover198 wrote:

PintOfMilk wrote:

zuwel wrote:

With my equation?

That's the idea
well I need the vote to finish so we can start working on one of the games. It seems to me like you and PintofMilk want a battle ship game, am I right? (Then we can spam all over scratch MWAHAHAHAHA! Wait, did I say that out loud?)

You saw nothing!

Last edited by BirdLover198 (Jan. 30, 2018 17:24:43)

Locomule
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Prototypes are always a good idea. If you aren't a coder, just mockup of a game screen is a goo idea. Links to a game similiar to what you want to make are good.

My idea for our first few games is to start with a simple game style and then make that cool.
simple games..
1. simple card match game
2. horizontal jumper
3. Little Alchemy type game
4. simple puzzle platformer
5. vertical dodger/shooter

examples of ideas for them..
1. make a smart gui system that resizes cards and layout as difficulty increases and more cards are introduced, although that might knock this out of the “simple” category
2. with good physics and a clever graphics theme these are always popular, a good “build simple and build up” type game
3. example requires planning, lots to draw but easy to code
4. by simple I mean a 1 room “get to the exit” type game that gradually adds traps etc as the difficulty increases
5. You are flying up, thing are coming at you, some you can shoot. A simple game to build with placeholders and wrap graphics and a limited story around. Could be a space theme, rpg, superhero, whatever. Maybe build it first then brainstorm on a really unique idea?

Anyway, those ideas ideas are just examples of taking one of those simple game forms and making something fun from them. Once we get some simple games done, we will branch out more into sharing prototypes and building prototypes based on ideas we come up with. Not to say don't do them now. Just don't expect us to build complex games quite yet, other than our ongoing Shadowlands RPG project.

Last edited by Locomule (Jan. 30, 2018 18:24:28)

BirdLover198
Scratcher
100+ posts

Locomule wrote:

Prototypes are always a good idea. If you aren't a coder, just mockup of a game screen is a goo idea. Links to a game similiar to what you want to make are good.

My idea for our first few games is to start with a simple game style and then make that cool.
simple games..
1. simple card match game
2. horizontal jumper
3. Little Alchemy type game
4. simple puzzle platformer
5. vertical dodger/shooter

examples of ideas for them..
1. make a smart gui system that resizes cards and layout as difficulty increases and more cards are introduced, although that might knock this out of the “simple” category
2. with good physics and a clever graphics theme these are always popular, a good “build simple and build up” type game
3. example requires planning, lots to draw but easy to code
4. by simple I mean a 1 room “get to the exit” type game that gradually adds traps etc as the difficulty increases
5. You are flying up, thing are coming at you, some you can shoot. A simple game to build with placeholders and wrap graphics and a limited story around. Could be a space theme, rpg, superhero, whatever. Maybe build it first then brainstorm on a really unique idea?

Anyway, those ideas ideas are just examples of taking one of those simple game forms and making something fun from them. Once we get some simple games done, we will branch out more into sharing prototypes and building prototypes based on ideas we come up with. Not to say don't do them now. Just don't expect us to build complex games quite yet, other than our ongoing Shadowlands RPG project.
ok

zuwel
Scratcher
500+ posts

I have a pretty dynamic gui system that I've been working on every now and then. It works similar to HTML and can be expanded upon. I haven't added any user interaction yet though. I might share it later today.

Last edited by zuwel (Jan. 30, 2018 18:48:47)

zuwel
Scratcher
500+ posts

Here is the first prototype of this battleship game. The camera system is able to position and scale itself automatically to fit any number of target positions in the frame. The movement system works okay in its current bare bones state, though we should consider other options as well.

Battleship Game Prototype

BirdLover198
Scratcher
100+ posts

Well, I think everybody want's to do a battle ship game right? What do you think Loco?

Locomule
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BirdLover198 wrote:

Well, I think everybody want's to do a battle ship game right? What do you think Loco?

Once again, I think it is a great idea for the games we will make later. As I posted and you quoted just a few posts back, we need to pick one or two basic game forms and build up from there. Letting our enthusiasm cause us to abandon the team plan of “start simple” is exactly what happened with our first project and what we are supposed to be in the course of correcting with these simple projects now.

Last edited by Locomule (Jan. 30, 2018 23:54:39)

BirdLover198
Scratcher
100+ posts

Locomule wrote:

BirdLover198 wrote:

Once again, I think it is a great idea for the games we will make later. As I posted and you quoted just a few posts back, we need to pick one or two basic game forms and build up from there. Letting out enthusiasm cause us to abandon the team plan of “start simple” is exactly what happened with our first project and what we are supposed to be in the course of correcting with these simple projects now.

ok, how about a simple uh, uh, I have no idea

Last edited by BirdLover198 (Jan. 30, 2018 23:59:43)

Locomule
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Combine both of your ideas.

stage 1. No graphics, just cooldown producer buttons. The player starts shipwrecked on an island. They must use found resources to tend a fire, build tools, build a hut, then more huts to attract other shipwrecked people. eventually, you build a boat and become a pirate.

stage 2. this opens access simple top view screen much like the ascii map from your second linked idea
the player must use their island generated resources to fuel their exploration of the world map.

I finished the game you linked. It has a cool twist by the end, you have to find and use resources to pilot an ascii spaceship off the planet while ascill meteors fly down from the top of the screen. I'm not saying copy that, but I do like the idea of weaving in stuff.

Anyway, this would be a cool way to start simple and build up. The main action is handled by the cooldown buttons so we could drop in artwork all over the place without being obligated to anywhere.
Just one idea.

Here is another game idea.. Take that simple puzzle platformer idea of mine and make it a fan game. For instance, we could make it a Zelda spinoff, create art based on actual game art, use locations and mythos from the game, base some of our traps and player resources on stuff from the game, etc.

Here is another.. make a card match game that uses profile icons from famous Scratchers and Scratch Team members.

Here is another.. remake Missile Command, Boothill, or some other old, very simple but ‘popular in its day’ computer game.

Last edited by Locomule (Jan. 31, 2018 16:28:00)

Locomule
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Another idea is to search Scratch for simple, fun projects that we can remake into a similar but different game. Mainly, this is supposed to be the time we all search and brainstorm for simple game ideas, not just pick another project. We will compile our ideas and use them in the future.

And the focus is supposed to be on simple-to-build games for now

Last edited by Locomule (Jan. 31, 2018 17:30:14)

PintOfMilk
Scratcher
1000+ posts

zuwel wrote:

PintOfMilk wrote:

zuwel wrote:

With my equation?
Once I get the basic framework done, I'll add the xp/leveling system. What is the effect of levels on a ship?
You know Pokémon it uses a similar equation to that. The stronger a level the higher the ship. Thus Level will be necessary in the attack equation.

Does n!+1=m^2 have interger solutions apart from n=4,5,7?
BirdLover198
Scratcher
100+ posts

Ok, I know this isn't a “old” game, but it's popular and might do well with your love of pixel art. <Insert bad drum-roll here> Minecraft

(WARNING: Huge minecraft fan )

Last edited by BirdLover198 (Jan. 31, 2018 18:14:22)

Locomule
Scratcher
1000+ posts

simple game ideas…
1. a vertical shooter
2. a side scrolling jumper
3. a mostly text game
4. a puzzle platformer
5. a card matching memory game
6. remake a popular old but simple game

game themes for these ideas…
1. bullet heck space battle
2. something like this
4. Zelda theme with original story based on game story
5. use famous Scratchers profile pics for cards
6. missile command

more complex game ieas…
a pirate themed action/adventure
a short metroidvania like this

Last edited by Locomule (Jan. 31, 2018 19:34:35)

BirdLover198
Scratcher
100+ posts

Locomule wrote:

simple game ideas…
1. a vertical shooter
2. a side scrolling jumper
3. a mostly text game
4. a puzzle platformer
5. a card matching memory game
6. remake a popular old but simple game

game themes for these ideas…
1. bullet heck space battle
2. something like this
4. Zelda theme with original story based on game story
5. use famous Scratchers profile pics for cards
6. missile command

more complex game ieas…
a pirate themed action/adventure
a short metroidvania like this

ok, I have an idea, a angry bird type game Except you control a rocket using the arrow keys or wasd, if you touch anything you explode. Like angry birds you have multiple types of rockets and multiple one too. There could be different modes like nuclear and story. Nuclear is you are given 1 nuclear bomb that is insanely powerful and have to destroy a city. And story mode you have to destroy enemy basses or something like that. Then when you finish story mode you could have a free-play where you are given a massive city to destroy at your own will with a reset button of course. It will let people let out their inner madman … *cough* totally didn't blow up a city once *cough*
Also the card game sounds like a good idea. By battling CPUs you could earn cards to collect, that would be very fun!

Last edited by BirdLover198 (Jan. 31, 2018 21:10:35)

BirdLover198
Scratcher
100+ posts

also does anyone here wrote/ have written a book?

BirdLover198
Scratcher
100+ posts

and pint of milk, it can be pokemon themed Imagine a Yveltal nuclear bomb :O

PintOfMilk
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BirdLover198 wrote:

also does anyone here wrote/ have written a book?
When I was young kid.

BirdLover198 wrote:

and pint of milk, it can be pokemon themed Imagine a Yveltal nuclear bomb :O
Aah

Does n!+1=m^2 have interger solutions apart from n=4,5,7?