Discuss Scratch

CStafford-14
Scratcher
100+ posts

What will happen to Scratch if Net Neutrality is killed?

Wahsp wrote:

RPMO45 wrote:

CStafford-14 wrote:

Alright. Let's come clean here. Net Neutrality is a really big deal. It's literally the freedom to browse the web! On December 14th, 2017, the FCC will vote to get rid of Net Neutrality - for good.

Not concerned yet? By killing off Net Neutrality, certain websites will be blocked by your ISP (Internet Service Provider - Where you get your WiFi), or even worse, Scratch may become gone - also, for good. That means either no more Scratch for the rest of your life, or you will need to pay for it. The same situation applies to every website in existence.

What the real question is, is what will happen to scratch if The FCC kills Net Neutrality?

Additional Links
Battleforthenet.com is the official protest page for Net Neutrality's repeal. Join the movement!

jeez, are people really that greedy for money? or do they just want us to go back to the freaking stone age?
oh it's money (because 174K a year isn't enough for Congress, people)

And you are 100% correct, 0% incorrect! The U.S. Government is greedy, stubborn, rude, insensitive, and it deserves more insults than what I just typed.

CStafford-14 Founder of Azetrico Inc.
I lost the game. Learn more…

CStafford-14
Scratcher
100+ posts

-ShadowOfTheFuture- wrote:

KingOfAwesome58219 wrote:

Congress members get paid $30,000 - $80,000 a year to keep their opposing stance on net neutrality.
Wow, the government's really that corrupt?

Yes. And what's worse is that congressmen get to PICK their salaries. That $80,000 is the legal limit for ANYONE that isn't an employer.

KingOfAwesome58219
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CStafford-14 wrote:

Wahsp wrote:

RPMO45 wrote:

CStafford-14 wrote:

Alright. Let's come clean here. Net Neutrality is a really big deal. It's literally the freedom to browse the web! On December 14th, 2017, the FCC will vote to get rid of Net Neutrality - for good.

Not concerned yet? By killing off Net Neutrality, certain websites will be blocked by your ISP (Internet Service Provider - Where you get your WiFi), or even worse, Scratch may become gone - also, for good. That means either no more Scratch for the rest of your life, or you will need to pay for it. The same situation applies to every website in existence.

What the real question is, is what will happen to scratch if The FCC kills Net Neutrality?

Additional Links
Battleforthenet.com is the official protest page for Net Neutrality's repeal. Join the movement!

jeez, are people really that greedy for money? or do they just want us to go back to the freaking stone age?

And you are 100% correct, 0% incorrect! The U.S. Government is greedy, stubborn, rude, insensitive, and it deserves more insults than what I just typed.
Lets not turn to anarchy. Too much of the U.S. government is corrupt, greedy, stubborn, but not all of it. We need it but its not doing well in every aspect.

CStafford-14
Scratcher
100+ posts

CStafford-14 wrote:

Wahsp wrote:

RPMO45 wrote:

CStafford-14 wrote:

Additional Links

Lets not turn to anarchy. Too much of the U.S. government is corrupt, greedy, stubborn, but not all of it. We need it but its not doing well in every aspect.

Good point. But out of the most of it, then yes. (I explained that wrong, didn't I? I'm so bad at explaining…)

KingOfAwesome58219
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CStafford-14 wrote:

Congress members get paid $30,000 - $80,000 a year to keep their opposing stance on net neutrality.

Yes. And what's worse is that congressmen get to PICK their salaries. That $80,000 is the legal limit for ANYONE that isn't an employer.
Correction, $5,000 to $200,000 a year. And that's not even their salary, just the amount they're paid by telecom companies.
Check out this article for more on this

CStafford-14
Scratcher
100+ posts

CStafford-14 wrote:

Correction, $5,000 to $200,000 a year. And that's not even their salary, just the amount they're paid by telecom companies.

Is that before or after they repeal Net Neutrality?

KingOfAwesome58219
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CStafford-14 wrote:

CStafford-14 wrote:

Not quite sure. The article I linked was how much they were paid for a different but related decision made by Congress.

CStafford-14
Scratcher
100+ posts

CStafford-14 wrote:

CStafford-14 wrote:

Not quite sure. The article I linked was how much they were paid for a different but related decision made by Congress.

Either way, they get more money.

venyanwarrior
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hold on, why don't we just get the ST to advertise this in a featured project or a pop-up or something? No net neutrality would almost certainly reduce scratch's population. Plus, the ST will probably have to pay even MORE to run scratch, and from what I've heard, they don't get paid very much. And I would hate for scratch to have ads.

If you're seeing this signature, that means I've come out of my social anxiety hole.

Also, I edit the Scratch Wiki. Check it out sometime it's cool I guess.
Wahsp
Scratcher
1000+ posts

venyanwarrior wrote:

Hold on, why don't we just get the ST to advertise this in a featured project or a pop-up or something? No net neutrality would almost certainly reduce scratch's population.
They definitely won't put up a pop-up, it just wouldn't fit the site. I really can't see them doing anything about it (because how many users would actually do something?) though I'm certain they have concern over it.

​I am Wahsp

Formerly pretty active on the forums, probably mostly retired now…
If you see one of my posts send me a hello!

We're doomed, hooray

​I am Wahsp

If net neutrality is killed I'm going to sue the FCC.

not rly but that's how I feel.

If you're seeing this signature, that means I've come out of my social anxiety hole.

Wahsp
Scratcher
1000+ posts

venyanwarrior wrote:

If net neutrality is killed I'm going to sue the FCC.

not rly but that's how I feel.

Plus, if they make us pay extra to visit competitors sites, ACLU and other organizations could potentially sue them for breaking the Sherman Antitrust act and monopolizing the industry, which would be a step towards bringing net neutrality back.

​I am Wahsp

Wahsp wrote:

Plus, if they make us pay extra to visit competitors sites, ACLU and other organizations could potentially sue them for breaking the Sherman Antitrust act and monopolizing the industry, which would be a step towards bringing net neutrality back.

YASSSSS

CStafford-14
Scratcher
100+ posts

venyanwarrior wrote:

Hold on, why don't we just get the ST to advertise this in a featured project or a pop-up or something? No net neutrality would almost certainly reduce scratch's population. Plus, the ST will probably have to pay even MORE to run scratch, and from what I've heard, they don't get paid very much. And I would hate for scratch to have ads.

Something like Wikipedia ask for donations?

Wahsp
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CStafford-14 wrote:

venyanwarrior wrote:

Something like Wikipedia ask for donations?
I think Wikipedia has something about net neutrality as well, but I don't think it belongs on Scratch

​I am Wahsp

I still think scratch should support net neutrality. I would REALLY hate to see ads on the site.

Wahsp
Scratcher
1000+ posts

venyanwarrior wrote:

I still think scratch should support net neutrality. I would REALLY hate to see ads on the site.
Oh it definitely should, if they want people on their site. Whatever ends up happening, I don't think Scratch will turn to advertisements

Last edited by Wahsp (Dec. 12, 2017 22:50:35)

​I am Wahsp

can someone please post the ruling as soon as they know (and before our greedy ISPs take away the sire?)

Generation 381: the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your sig in the scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment.
if <<you want a follow> or <i'm feeling adventurous>> then
go to [my profile v]
ask [for a follow] and wait
end
Wahsp
Scratcher
1000+ posts

rivques wrote:

can someone please post the ruling as soon as they know (and before our greedy ISPs take away the sire?)
We'll find out on the 14th
The site will still be here, it's just either Scratch will have to pay for it to be viewed or the users will have to pay to view Scratch

​I am Wahsp