Discuss Scratch

wWSunPandaWw
Scratcher
1000+ posts

What will happen to Scratch if Net Neutrality is killed?

Alright, I've been on Netflix, Webkinz (a reaalllllly old website with ads), Animal Jam, Hulu, YouTube, and Scratch and so far haven't seen any changes. I'm not 100% sure what my ISP is though, but i'm pretty sure it's Comcast.

I moved to BelieverGirlSun
paws48
Scratcher
500+ posts

wWSunPandaWw wrote:

Alright, I've been on Netflix, Webkinz (a reaalllllly old website with ads), Animal Jam, Hulu, YouTube, and Scratch and so far haven't seen any changes. I'm not 100% sure what my ISP is though, but i'm pretty sure it's Comcast.
Same here, but mine is Cable One. I haven't been on Webkinz though because that site is ANCIENT. I've also been on a few other websites that i don't really go on regularly though.
UltimatePink
Scratcher
100+ posts

paws48 wrote:

wWSunPandaWw wrote:

Same here, but mine is Cable One. I haven't been on Webkinz though because that site is ANCIENT. I've also been on a few other websites that i don't really go on regularly though.

Wow, I should probably check Webkinz too.

Hi, I'm UltimatePink! (But you can call me Pinkie.)
I am a superhero with Spider powers. My sister (and best teammate) is @UltimateBlue, and four of my best friends are @Brodie_dude, @3Dweevils, @SassyJazzy, and @Dynesta!
I love cupcakes, glitter, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, LEGO Ninjago, reading, saving the world, taking care of pets, and baking!
Laphatize
Scratcher
41 posts

Honestly, nothing will happen. Scratch is non-profit, and companies get tax-cuts, if they hep out non-profits and things like that.

YubNubEwok
Scratcher
1000+ posts

UltimatePink wrote:

paws48 wrote:

wWSunPandaWw wrote:

Wow, I should probably check Webkinz too.
Same! I don't think anything has changed on it, I mean Webkinz is generally slow.

Hello! I'mYubNubEwok!
YubNubEwok | Star Wars Nerd | Marvel Fan | Hunger Games Fan | #1 Wisconsin cheese Fan | Female | Christian | Webkinz user/collector | 2000+ posts | Philippians 4:13, Colossians 3:23 |
-Stuff to check out-
TheJediMasters
Ⓒⓡⓔⓐⓣⓘⓥⓔ Bᴜᴍᴘs
Right now I challenge you to: go to my profile, follow me, and check out my featured project (it's important!)

;
adsuri
Scratcher
1000+ posts

UltimatePink wrote:

-Xynth- wrote:

Lets clear up some things for those who don't really understand what will happen.

People outside of the US… nothing will happen unless your country decides to follow in the footsteps of the United States and allow internet service providers to throttle or block certain sites.

People in the US… Some people might not see a change. This may be due to the fact that you are with a service provider that does not wish to block sites and throttle your internet. It may also be that there is too much competition in your area and doing this would hurt the company. Others, might see a drastic change. Sites ARE NOT SHUTTING DOWN. Scratch will not close their doors, neither will Google or any other major company. Companies like Spectrum (formerly BrightHouse Networks), AT&T, Comcast, Xfinity, Verizon, etc. have stated MULTIPLE TIMES that they will be changing their service because of the repeal of the Obama-era Net Neutrality law under the Trump Administration. The latency to certain websites may be higher. This means that some websites will load slower. Also, certain pages/websites can and will be blocked by ISPs. (Yes, this is censorship… I know). You may be required to pay for certain sites to access them. This fee could be anywhere from $0.01 (1 cent) to $1000/mo. Now, we don't know if and when sites like Scratch will be blocked. It is not the end of the internet. Its the end of guaranteed access to the internet. (Unless you remember how Verizon and other ISPs got sued for throttling during the era of NN).

Now there is a solution. Ethical or not I will not be listing them here.

I use ATandT and so far today Scratch seems okay
Mediacom doesn't discriminate websites.

H                                                                                    He
Li Be B C N O F Ne
Na Mg Al Si P S Cl Ar
K Ca Sc Ti V Cr Mn Fe Co Ni Cu Zn Ga Ge As Se Br Kr
Rb Sr Y Zr Nb Mo Tc Ru Rh Pd Ag Cd In Sn Sb Te I Xe
Cs Ba Hf Ta W Re Os Ir Pt Au Hg Tl Pb Bi Po At Rn
Fr Ra Rf Db Sg Bh Hs Mt Ds Rg Cn Nh Fl Mc Lv Ts Og

La Ce Pr Nd Pm Sm Eu Gd Tb Dy Ho Er Tm Yb Lu
Ac Th Pa U Np Pu Am Cm Bk Cf Es Fm Md No Lr

FireBolt2
Scratcher
47 posts

Still here.
paws48
Scratcher
500+ posts

FireBolt2 wrote:

Still here.
Yep. This happened last time too.
jromagnoli
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Who cares about this. But why doesn't anyone care about the EU effectively banning memes?!

ROAD TO 10,000 POSTS
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 64%

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!
hehehe!Mytiptopsecrettopicidentifier!ahjdgggfhjadggahjsahasgdjfsdjfga

dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

jromagnoli wrote:

Who cares about this. But why doesn't anyone care about the EU effectively banning memes?!
That's not gonna happen. Even though it has passed 1 stage, it needs to go through several stages. It's not gonna get through, it's too stupid of a copyright law, they know what they are doing.

Placeholder
ScratchDiogoh
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dude341 wrote:

jromagnoli wrote:

That's not gonna happen. Even though it has passed 1 stage, it needs to go through several stages. It's not gonna get through, it's too stupid of a copyright law, they know what they are doing.
wow, that's cool

Last edited by ScratchDiogoh (June 23, 2018 20:17:20)

+1700 Bad Posts
dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ScratchDiogoh wrote:

dude341 wrote:

jromagnoli wrote:

wow, that's cool
Stupid isn't a swear word
And I said the law was stupid, not the people who passed it. The people at the final stage will most likely reject it, the law is too silly.

Last edited by dude341 (June 23, 2018 20:50:46)

Placeholder
FireBolt2
Scratcher
47 posts

adsuri wrote:

UltimatePink wrote:

-Xynth- wrote:

Lets clear up some things for those who don't really understand what will happen.

People outside of the US… nothing will happen unless your country decides to follow in the footsteps of the United States and allow internet service providers to throttle or block certain sites.

People in the US… Some people might not see a change. This may be due to the fact that you are with a service provider that does not wish to block sites and throttle your internet. It may also be that there is too much competition in your area and doing this would hurt the company. Others, might see a drastic change. Sites ARE NOT SHUTTING DOWN. Scratch will not close their doors, neither will Google or any other major company. Companies like Spectrum (formerly BrightHouse Networks), AT&T, Comcast, Xfinity, Verizon, etc. have stated MULTIPLE TIMES that they will be changing their service because of the repeal of the Obama-era Net Neutrality law under the Trump Administration. The latency to certain websites may be higher. This means that some websites will load slower. Also, certain pages/websites can and will be blocked by ISPs. (Yes, this is censorship… I know). You may be required to pay for certain sites to access them. This fee could be anywhere from $0.01 (1 cent) to $1000/mo. Now, we don't know if and when sites like Scratch will be blocked. It is not the end of the internet. Its the end of guaranteed access to the internet. (Unless you remember how Verizon and other ISPs got sued for throttling during the era of NN).

Yes, other countries will also see changes. If Scratch since its located in the U.S., they might have to add ads to the site. They have already said that they don't receive many donations. They would make more profit by doing to pay the ISP, so their site stays up. When you make an account, you also make web pages. Every project and studio is a web page. The more users that the ISP sees going to this site, the more money they will tax Scratch. Therefore, others will see changes. Also AT&T never said that they will be throttling with the internet. Verizon said that they will see if it will be more profitable to them.

Last edited by FireBolt2 (June 23, 2018 22:44:34)

cul8er
Scratcher
500+ posts

dude341 wrote:

jromagnoli wrote:

I made a thread on this very subject.

Gone.
CStafford-14
Scratcher
100+ posts

YouTube is noticeably slower.

CStafford-14 Founder of Azetrico Inc.
I lost the game. Learn more…

TheAdriCoolManDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I think we won. Nothing happened to me.

Whatsfordinner77
Scratcher
100+ posts

Nothing Is Really Happening!

GANGSTER
UltimatePink
Scratcher
100+ posts

FireBolt2 wrote:

adsuri wrote:

UltimatePink wrote:

-Xynth- wrote:

Yes, other countries will also see changes. If Scratch since its located in the U.S., they might have to add ads to the site. They have already said that they don't receive many donations. They would make more profit by doing to pay the ISP, so their site stays up. When you make an account, you also make web pages. Every project and studio is a web page. The more users that the ISP sees going to this site, the more money they will tax Scratch. Therefore, others will see changes. Also AT&T never said that they will be throttling with the internet. Verizon said that they will see if it will be more profitable to them.

Too bad most Scratchers are children without jobs and can't donate to Scratch.

Hi, I'm UltimatePink! (But you can call me Pinkie.)
I am a superhero with Spider powers. My sister (and best teammate) is @UltimateBlue, and four of my best friends are @Brodie_dude, @3Dweevils, @SassyJazzy, and @Dynesta!
I love cupcakes, glitter, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, LEGO Ninjago, reading, saving the world, taking care of pets, and baking!
paws48
Scratcher
500+ posts

CStafford-14 wrote:

YouTube is noticeably slower.
That must just be you, because Youtube is fine for me, if not, faster!
Scratch---Cat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Problem solved - Net Neutrality is not killed.
Please close this topic.

Download Scratch 2.0 | Check your messages | Check my messages
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you want to subscribe to this forum topic, please click the
{} Follow Discussion :: ring sensing
button below this forum post! Thanks!