Discuss Scratch

redglitter
Scratcher
1000+ posts

✧Get Computer Help✧Scratch Computer Support Group✧

I just wrote about four tutorials:

How to Make Thumbnails For Projects

Using this basic script, you can set any Scratch Sprite to the icon of your project!
when green flag clicked
show
set [ghost v] effect to (100)
go to front

Firefox – Problem Loading Page

When you load Firefox after you’ve just logged on, straight away, does it say ‘problem loading page’?
If it does, after you’ve logged on, wait for the little blue circle on your cursor to stop going round before opening.

Virus or Not?

Once, I experienced a virus where when you log onto your PC and open something, the whole thing shuts down. Here are some simple steps to see whether it’s a virus – or just you.

• Open it up again.
  • Make sure you’re not leaning/ touching the keyboard or hard drive.
  • Click on any program. Does it shut down again?

If the answer is yes, then I’m afraid it’s probably a virus, but if no, you were probably just leaning on keyboard or hard drive and accidentally pressed something! Whoops!

Are you experiencing Pop Ups?

Are you getting pop ups when you’re using the internet?

Are you using Internet Explorer 11?

If so, there is a simple solution.

1. Download a new browser. I recommend Firefox, Waterfox or Chrome.
    2. Open the new browser once downloaded.
    3. Do you get a pop up asking you to set your new browser to the default browser? If so, click yes.

And now you won’t have any more pop ups!!

Are these good??

dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hey, I'm working on a computer tutorial project series called dude341 PC Tutorials. I am planning to get the first episode finished, uploaded and shared to Scratch today. Would you like to add these projects to your Tutorials post?

Last edited by dude341 (Feb. 16, 2017 16:07:06)

Placeholder
card100
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dude341 wrote:

Hey, I'm working on a computer tutorial project series called dude341 PC Tutorials. I am planning to get the first episode finished, uploaded and shared to Scratch today. Would you like to add these projects to your Tutorials post?
Sure

redglitter wrote:

-snip-
Are these good??
Yes. I will reformat them later today so that we can individually link them

-card100
redglitter
Scratcher
1000+ posts

card100 wrote:

dude341 wrote:

Sure

redglitter wrote:

-snip-
Are these good??
Yes. I will reformat them later today so that we can individually link them
Thanks!

dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

card100 wrote:

dude341 wrote:

Sure

redglitter wrote:

I won't be able to complete it today: please wait until Saturday.

Last edited by dude341 (Feb. 16, 2017 19:55:18)

Placeholder
card100
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dude341 wrote:

card100 wrote:

dude341 wrote:

Sure

redglitter wrote:

I won't be able to complete it today: please wait until Saturday.
Take your time

-card100
dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Just to help out: here is a tutorial (not part of my dude341 PC Tutorials series, so if you add this, please group them separately)
How to fix “Unspecified” devices (that have just been plugged in) in Devices and Printers:

Note: This tutorial will only work for devices that have just been plugged in and installed to the computer. I may consider making a tutorial in my dude341 PC Tutorials series about devices that have just started doing that randomly.

Step 1: Reboot the computer. Close any open programs and save your work before doing this.
Step 2: Wait for your computer to boot Windows.
Step 3: Once it is at the desktop, wait a couple of seconds until you see the same pop-up you saw when you first plugged in the device (Installing device driver software). Be patient for the device to install.
Step 4: Now check Devices and Printers. You should see your device not grouped in “Unspecified”, but grouped with the rest of your devices. It should also have the correct icon, and if your device was not functioning when it was grouped in “Unspecified”, it should work now.

If this didn't work, the problem must be caused by something else that this tutorial cannot help with.
Hope this works for you!
Yeah, kind of short. The dude341 PC Tutorials project series will be longer. I hope you can add this.

Placeholder
dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Also I recommend copying our tutorials to the post, rather than linking them. It would make a long post, but it would be convenient.
EDIT: By tutorials, I mean tutorials we post here, if it's a project just link it (I don't know how you would copy a project to a post! .)

Last edited by dude341 (Feb. 16, 2017 22:49:50)

Placeholder
card100
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dude341 wrote:

Also I recommend copying our tutorials to the post, rather than linking them. It would make a long post, but it would be convenient.
EDIT: By tutorials, I mean tutorials we post here, if it's a project just link it (I don't know how you would copy a project to a post! .)
I have a table of contents

-card100
dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

redglitter wrote:

Virus or Not?

Once, I experienced a virus where when you log onto your PC and open something, the whole thing shuts down. Here are some simple steps to see whether it’s a virus – or just you.

• Open it up again.
  • Make sure you’re not leaning/ touching the keyboard or hard drive.
  • Click on any program. Does it shut down again?

If the answer is yes, then I’m afraid it’s probably a virus, but if no, you were probably just leaning on keyboard or hard drive and accidentally pressed something! Whoops!
I recommend renaming the title of that tutorial as it is a bit misleading. If you know the name of the virus use “Do I have the <insert virus name> computer virus?” or if you don't know the name, “I think I have a computer shutdown virus - how can I check?”

Placeholder
dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

card100 wrote:

dude341 wrote:

I have a table of contents
OK.

Placeholder
dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Just a question - why are we partners with BOOM! Music Store and Music Sheet Inc? They are about music; not sure how they can help us?
(No offence)

Placeholder
card100
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Show Thumbnails When Project is Stopped

There are two methods two this:

Method 1
Using this basic script, you can set any Scratch Sprite to the icon of your project!
when green flag clicked
show
go to front
Troubleshooting:
  1. Make sure that no where else in your project has the command
    go to front 
    If so you can solve this by changing the script to
    when green flag clicked
    show
    forever
    go to front
    wait (1) secs
    end
________________________________________________________________________________________

Method 2
Method 2 offers a way to keep running scripts after the project is stopped. This allows for animation or “logging out” of a cloud variable.
Note: This will not work if you need the timer in other parts of the project
Blocks
when green flag clicked
forever
reset timer
end

when [ timer] > (0.1)
show
go to front

Created by @redglitter and edited by @card100

-card100
dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

card100 wrote:

snip
Does this mean my tutorial I posted will be edited too? I don't mind, just wondering. Also if you edit redglitter's “Virus or Not Tutorial” you should rename it

dude341 wrote:

“I think I have a computer shutdown virus - how can I check?”

Placeholder
card100
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Problems Loading Pages
Related: Internet Not Working
Here is some common web browsers and how to handle them

Firefox

Problem Loading Page error

Wait for the little blue circle on your cursor to stop going round before opening Firefox

-card100
card100
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dude341 wrote:

Just a question - why are we partners with BOOM! Music Store and Music Sheet Inc? They are about music; not sure how they can help us?
(No offence)
For advertising

dude341 wrote:

card100 wrote:

snip
Does this mean my tutorial I posted will be edited too? I don't mind, just wondering. Also if you edit redglitter's “Virus or Not Tutorial” you should rename it

dude341 wrote:

I will edit it for grammar mistakes and to make it more user friendly.
I think I will just name it Viruses

-card100
dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

card100 wrote:

dude341 wrote:

(No offence)
For advertising

dude341 wrote:

card100 wrote:

snip

dude341 wrote:

I will edit it for grammar mistakes and to make it more user friendly.
I think I will just name it Viruses
OK, thanks for telling me.

Placeholder
card100
Scratcher
1000+ posts

How to fix “Unspecified” devices (that have just been plugged in) in Devices and Printers

Note: This tutorial will only work for devices that have just been plugged in and installed to the computer. I may consider making a tutorial in my dude341 PC Tutorials series about devices that have just started doing that randomly.

Step 1: Reboot the computer. Close any open programs and save your work before doing this.
Step 3: Once it is at the desktop, wait a couple of seconds until you see the same pop-up you saw when you first plugged in the device (Installing device driver software). Be patient for the device to install.
Step 4: Now check Devices and Printers. You should see your device not grouped in “Unspecified”, but grouped with the rest of your devices. It should also have the correct icon, rather than the “generic device” icon (for example: your device is supposed to show a picture of a camera but it shows the “generic device” icon instead.), and if your device was not functioning when it was grouped in “Unspecified”, it should work now.

If this didn't work, the problem must be caused by something else that this tutorial cannot help with.

Last edited by card100 (Feb. 16, 2017 23:37:43)

-card100
dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

card100 wrote:

How to fix “Unspecified” devices (that have just been plugged in) in Devices and Printers

Step 4: Now check Devices and Printers. You should see your device not grouped in “Unspecified”, but grouped with the rest of your devices. It should also have the correct icon, and if your device was not functioning when it was grouped in “Unspecified”, it should work now.

Thanks

Placeholder
dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Could you edit this part in my tutorial:
It should also have the correct icon
to this?
It should also have the correct icon, rather than the “generic device” icon (for example: your device is supposed to show a picture of a camera but it shows the “generic device” icon instead.)

Placeholder