Discuss Scratch

Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch to Javascript converter

Ah ha, yes, this is rejected! Both @Paddle2See and @Harakou have confirmed that it is. You can read why below.

Keep on thinking of ways to improve Scratch.

The Official List of Rejected Suggestions wrote:

2.2 Text-based syntax in Scratch
Some users wish to code Scratch not with the blocks, but with typing code instead (similar to how more advanced programming languages work). Others are interested in an option to view, convert, or download Scratch code to other programming languages. However, the Scratch Team has discussed this possibility multiple times and has decided every time that it would not be beneficial for beginners or for teachers. One amazing thing about block-based programming is that syntax errors largely do not exist. Text-based programming would introduce syntax errors which younger users might not understand, and may distract students from learning the Scratch language.

This suggestion extends to coding, viewing, converting, or downloading Scratch in any text-based language, including BBCode, Javascript, some form of pseudocode, or some other programming language. If you wish to code using another language, then you can learn it on your own, but it would have to be done outside of Scratch.

For those who are interested, it may be worth checking out Tosh. It is a text-based programming language which serves as a text editor for Scratch projects.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay