Discuss Scratch

ProdigyZeta7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Ban Permissions

When users get banned, they have no access to any resources on the website, even their own projects. Does this seem fair?

There should be at least some degree of freedom while banned, such as the following:
1. Access to My Stuff.
There is no harm in allowing banned users to make/change projects, just so long as they follow the community guidelines. This way, if a user gets banned, they can still access their unshared projects. They can't share, unshare, or delete them, though.
2. Enable/Disable Commenting (on Profiles only).
While they can't make comments, they can certainly disallow any disruptive commenting that can arise after getting banned. Like for instance, if someone hears of a user that gets banned, they might spread the word or post a comment (“Hey! You got banned! ”) and end up violating that user's privacy.

I'll think of more later.

So, what are your thoughts?

AonymousGuy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Ban Permissions

1) I support, but couldn't they just use the downloadable beta?

2) I agree. There is no need to spread the word that they got banned.
Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Ban Permissions

1. What if they wanted to continue a project that was being made online? Support.

2. Support.

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
cobraguy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Ban Permissions

Support both.
OrcaCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Ban Permissions

Support. These ideas are genius.

mathfreak231
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Ban Permissions

AonymousGuy wrote:

1) I support, but couldn't they just use the downloadable beta?
I'd say no, because of the last word in your sentence.

EDIT: I like the idea if it isn't clear enough.

Last edited by mathfreak231 (Nov. 23, 2013 19:55:44)

i have grown as a person. and ive grown, literally. none of my posts from before 2022 represent me accurately.
joshuaho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Ban Permissions

+1 for both.

Last edited by joshuaho (Nov. 20, 2013 02:08:11)

College student studying Communication and Fire Technology, communication lab tutor, guitar and piano player, perfectionist, and just some guy who regularly eats and trains physically to stay healthy.
powerboy0101
Scratcher
100+ posts

Ban Permissions

When users get banned, they have no access to any resources on the website, even their own projects. Does this seem fair?

There should be at least some degree of freedom while banned, such as the following:
1. Access to My Stuff.
There is no harm in allowing banned users to make/change projects, just so long as they follow the community guidelines. This way, if a user gets banned, they can still access their unshared projects. They can't share, unshare, or delete them, though.
+1

2. Enable/Disable Commenting (on Profiles only).
While they can't make comments, they can certainly disallow any disruptive commenting that can arise after getting banned. Like for instance, if someone hears of a user that gets banned, they might spread the word or post a comment (“Hey! You got banned! ”) and end up violating that user's privacy.

+1

-1 for nobody .

Last edited by powerboy0101 (Nov. 20, 2013 02:33:25)

Click on the picture, download file, i dare you.
k9lego
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Ban Permissions

Support! I think they should be able to access scratch completely (unless the ban is a network IP ban, just incase he/she was banned because he/she was a hacker ) but not to be able to comment, post forum posts, share any projects (I think their projects should get un-shared automatically), create and update cloud variables. 2+ k9lego

Last edited by k9lego (Nov. 21, 2013 22:39:29)

- Let's Eat  Grandma! This is a hidden advertisement for the Collab Hyper Cloud Inc. :)
- Let's Eat, Grandma!
Commas Save Lives!

Nothing Much here…

If you want to reply to me, please comment with the link to the topic “On my profile page”. thanks. k9lego
dracae
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Ban Permissions

Great idea!

2x Support!

ProdigyZeta7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Ban Permissions

bump

tcodina
Scratcher
500+ posts

Ban Permissions

I support; it's a very genius idea. I once was banned, and i couldn't make any of those, which annoyed me. Hope the Scratch Team does this, because there are probably unwanted bans (Like mine) or accidental, just like the legendary IP ban apocalypse.

ProdigyZeta7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Ban Permissions

Ben Kenobi
Underestimated
My
Power.

darkness3560
Scratcher
100+ posts

Ban Permissions

I support both ideas! I got banned before and I literally couldn't do anything on Scratch without being redirected to the “you've been banned” page.
jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Ban Permissions

I like these ideas. I think that user bans (users are only IP banned if they have demonstrated they get around bans, in which case I would say they've forfeited the right to access this site at all) should be more like what they are on the Wiki. Users banned there are blocked from editing pages, but can still read it.

Banned users should be able to view all of the website (including their unshared projects), and should be allowed to disable comments on anything. If editing projects is to be allowed, the changes should not be public until the user is unbanned.

Anyway, nice ideas. I support.

Professional web developer and lead engineer on the Scratch Wiki
Maybe the Scratch Team isn't so badWhy the April Fools' Day forum didn't work last year
Deerleg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Ban Permissions

Good ideas.

Mozzi64
Scratcher
100+ posts

Ban Permissions

Yep. If there is an ban apocalypse again we can still relax.

Last edited by Mozzi64 (Dec. 5, 2013 20:23:50)

THE POTATOES, THEY'RE EVERYWHERE
HEELLLLPPP
lol

blueservine
Scratcher
500+ posts

Ban Permissions

+1

My signature was a really funny gif of Red wiggling her eyebrows, but I left it for a few months and it got taken down. Pity.
cheddargirl
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Ban Permissions

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

1. Access to My Stuff.
It doesn't make sense for the Scratch Team to allow banned users continue to have access to the Scratch server after an account has been blocked (this is to be especially true if the user was blocked for sharing inappropriate projects on the Scratch website) - you break the Community Guidelines, you pretty much forfeit the access to your account. That is the way it is on most other sites as well where you store your media.

Sadly, my forum signature was eaten by an evil kumquat.
ProdigyZeta7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Ban Permissions

cheddargirl wrote:

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

1. Access to My Stuff.
It doesn't make sense for the Scratch Team to allow banned users continue to have access to the Scratch server after an account has been blocked (this is to be especially true if the user was blocked for sharing inappropriate projects on the Scratch website) - you break the Community Guidelines, you pretty much forfeit the access to your account. That is the way it is on most other sites as well where you store your media.
Why not have a separate block on access to unshared material? That way, if a user does make bad projects, they he/she can no longer pose a harm while those who were banned for lesser infractions can still work on their projects.