Discuss Scratch

cookieclickerer33
Scratcher
1000+ posts

more blocks [effect reporter]

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/901361598/
this is the proper workaround to color effect reporters, i have no idea what the other ones you where doing where

⠀ ⠀ I beat Mario 64 yay! ⠀⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ I love you ivy & may :3
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀ ⠀GEOMETRY DASH

medians
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cookieclickerer33 wrote:

this is the proper workaround to color effect reporters, i have no idea what the other ones you where doing where
Basically, multiple variables for the effect reporters I believe if you mean “what were we doing???”, can you clear up the last part of your post? They have labels unlike the list items, so if you use a list, it's going to get kinda annoying to keep track of which list item is which unless you have a system in your code that checks for separation characters.

Medians bamboozled by 3.0 (version 3.0): https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/979822351/
hi875230163394: You're similar to valve in that you both hate a certain number…
Scratch 0.x, 1.x, 2.x, 3.x and LogoBlocks Archives
Bamboozlement: https://scratch.mit.edu/studios/33739789
Years on internet: 15 (soon 16)
medians: Oh god not this utc - 12 thing again..
Fun_Cupcake_i81: What, were you expecting not to see the utc - 12 thing again? THE UTC - 12 THIGN ALWAYS RETURNS. ALWAYS.
medians: I knew it would happen. I was the one who started it last year.
Fun_Cupcake_i81: Well then if you didn't want it back maybe you need to time travel to last year and fix that

Oh wait if you could time travel I think we all know exactly when you would go-
user1: That picture is from 2.0. Now he’s at my house and is my pet.
user2: But this is medians we're talking about, so “from 2.0” can mean the same thing as “from five seconds ago”.

Detect Scratch version here
My other accounts: @selfexplanatory @modesties @chaircard @fireflyhero @dividendyield @colloids @radians @skeuamorphism @dihectogon @anglebisector @aau- @EditBlockColors @AdamantOrb @MoongeistBeam @festively @Ampharos_ @straightforwardness
i trolled redcat LOL

if you see this
{what method did you use::control hat
answer on profile ::motion
} ::operators
;
cookieclickerer33
Scratcher
1000+ posts

medians wrote:

cookieclickerer33 wrote:

Basically, multiple variables for the effect reporters I believe if you mean “what were we doing???”, can you clear up the last part of your post? They have labels unlike the list items, so if you use a list, it's going to get kinda annoying to keep track of which list item is which unless you have a system in your code that checks for separation characters.
the order of the list is the same as the dropdown on the grapic effect blocks

by “what are you doing” i mean alot of people are saying something like this
set [ghost effect v] to (ghost effect::looks)

medians
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cookieclickerer33 wrote:

medians wrote:

cookieclickerer33 wrote:

That's what I assumed, but my problem was that not everyone has the same memory or knowledge of the order, and I think it would be kinda annoying for some people to have to check the dropdown every single time they wanted to know what the order was on the list.

cookieclickerer33 wrote:

Okay, then I have no idea why they're doing that.

Medians bamboozled by 3.0 (version 3.0): https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/979822351/
Fun_Cupcake_i81: What, were you expecting not to see the utc - 12 thing again? THE UTC - 12 THIGN ALWAYS RETURNS. ALWAYS.
Fun_Cupcake_i81: Well then if you didn't want it back maybe you need to time travel to last year and fix that

user2: But this is medians we're talking about, so “from 2.0” can mean the same thing as “from five seconds ago”.

My other accounts: @selfexplanatory @modesties @chaircard @fireflyhero @dividendyield @colloids @radians @skeuamorphism @dihectogon @anglebisector @aau- @EditBlockColors @AdamantOrb @MoongeistBeam @festively @Ampharos_ @straightforwardness
i trolled redcat LOL

if you see this
;
cookieclickerer33
Scratcher
1000+ posts

medians wrote:

cookieclickerer33 wrote:

medians wrote:

cookieclickerer33 wrote:

That's what I assumed, but my problem was that not everyone has the same memory or knowledge of the order, and I think it would be kinda annoying for some people to have to check the dropdown every single time they wanted to know what the order was on the list.

cookieclickerer33 wrote:

Okay, then I have no idea why they're doing that.
i could make it variables but that would just get cluttered fast
if we had dictonaries this wouldnt be an issue

medians
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cookieclickerer33 wrote:

Yeah I know, I wish we did for reasons like these, but we don't have dictionaries :-/

i trolled redcat LOL

if you see this
;
cookieclickerer33
Scratcher
1000+ posts

medians wrote:

cookieclickerer33 wrote:

Yeah I know, I wish we did for reasons like these, but we don't have dictionaries :-/
removing custom reporter blocks is one of if not the most detrimental and confusing change the scratch team have ever made to this platform. having those would make scratch truely a full programming language. abstraction is the core and one of the most important parts of almost every programming language, and without it scratch is severly limited for no reason. if we had those basically every block sugguestion would be easy to implement and use. custom return functions are so important that adding them would change the face of scratch as a whole and probobly bring many new people to the platform. its clearly in high demand and it fits scratches design goals. hell not having them actually doesnt fit scraches design goals at being an introductory language by not having one of the most important things in any other language.

later versions should be better and more feature complete than earlier versions, but with scrach thats just not the case

sorry for the rant i just wanted to say what needed to be said

medians
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bringing this topic up.

i trolled redcat LOL

if you see this
;
medians
Scratcher
1000+ posts

medians wrote:

Bringing this topic up.

i trolled redcat LOL

if you see this
;
Wonkymoon8
Scratcher
100+ posts

great idea! but the “mosaic effect” option would be the new most useless block. The ghost effect and brightness effect will be good especially!

define Wonkymoon8
A true up and coming scratcher! :D
Dont forget to follow me!
Wii For Scratch! https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/928218023/
MagicCoder330
Scratcher
500+ posts

I agree with most of the points made. This seems like a good suggestion, and even if there is a workaround I would be happy if it were added.

Hello, this is my signature! it goes under every post I make and isn't part of it. shift control down and such to see more

Misconceptions about the Scratch Room

* Low floor: It should be easy to climb in and get started with Scratch - even for Scratchers who have no experience programming. - This does NOT mean complex things shouldn't be added. Making the ceiling higher or the walls wider doesn't make the floor harder to get on.
* Wide walls: Scratchers should be able to make all kinds of things with Scratch - not just animations and games, but news programs, science experiments, things we can't even imagine. - Wide walls means that some things that may be unconventional or odd or “useless” at first glance may still be worthwhile to add, because some people may find them useful for making new unique things.
* High Ceiling: Even though it's easy for someone who is new to programming to get started with Scratch, it should still be possible to make complex stuff. - Although the floor is there, many forumers just look up at the ceiling rather than thinking about the floor. They say “this would be too complicated, new Scratchers wouldn't understand it” without considering the fact that it can be worked up to with the handy floor we have.

((( OwO :: #DC381F) :: #FFCC00)  :: #FFCC00)
This is Georgie the evil grapefruit. He is much larger, stronger, more nutritious and scarier than a kumquat. Donate your soul to him at my profile to help him gain power to overthrow the kumquats and claim his position as the best signature eater!

This is a social experiment, comment and you MIGHT get curator

Get games off the other categories!
Epsilon_3
Scratcher
500+ posts

Epsilon_3 wrote:

starlightsparker wrote:

there could be some sort of code that countinuisly changes it in the backround.

Epsilon_3 wrote:

You could just remember what you set it to.
when green flag clicked
forever
change [effect v] by (0)
set [ v] effect to (efefct)
end

so then

([] effect::looks) 

==

(effect)

╭━━━╮╱╱╱╱╱╱╭╮╱╱╱╱╱╱╭━━━╮
┃╭━━╯╱╱╱╱╱╱┃┃╱╱╱╱╱╱┃╭━╮┃
┃╰━━┳━━┳━━┳┫┃╭━━┳━╮╰╯╭╯┃
┃╭━━┫╭╮┃━━╋┫┃┃╭╮┃╭╮┳╮╰╮┃
┃╰━━┫╰╯┣━━┃┃╰┫╰╯┃┃┃┃╰━╯┃
╰━━━┫╭━┻━━┻┻━┻━━┻╯╰┻━━━╯
╱╱╱╱┃┃
╱╱╱╱╰╯
starlightsparker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Full support, I need this block bc I tried the variable workaround and it didn’t work

✮˚. ᵎᵎ ?彡⋆。˚ starlight !! * ੈ✩‧₊˚ ✧˖° female !! ⋆。°✩ s.her !!‧˚₊ muslim !!✶ .ᐟ
︶꒦꒷order at star's cafe! served w/ love꒷꒦︶
star's cafe is a store to order banners, pfps, and more!
! attention ! my only account is @starlightsparker. if anyone pretends to be me, pretends to be a “secret alt” of mine, or anything like that, they are lying. I’m putting this message here in light of recent events.
(rounded) 1000th post | (actual) 1000th post | first post
~ pakistani muslim ~ ~ born in arabia ~ palestine supporter! ~
stop the Islam hate!useful custom blockslatest projectcomment herePython Learning History
Scratch inspired me to want to become a programmer when i grow up. I plan on learning python :>
starlightsparker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Oh and some may want the screen to show the effects but in purple not orange

✮˚. ᵎᵎ ?彡⋆。˚ starlight !! * ੈ✩‧₊˚ ✧˖° female !! ⋆。°✩ s.her !!‧˚₊ muslim !!✶ .ᐟ
︶꒦꒷order at star's cafe! served w/ love꒷꒦︶
star's cafe is a store to order banners, pfps, and more!
! attention ! my only account is @starlightsparker. if anyone pretends to be me, pretends to be a “secret alt” of mine, or anything like that, they are lying. I’m putting this message here in light of recent events.
(rounded) 1000th post | (actual) 1000th post | first post
~ pakistani muslim ~ ~ born in arabia ~ palestine supporter! ~
stop the Islam hate!useful custom blockslatest projectcomment herePython Learning History
Scratch inspired me to want to become a programmer when i grow up. I plan on learning python :>
medians
Scratcher
1000+ posts

medians wrote:

medians wrote:

Bringing this topic up.

i trolled redcat LOL

if you see this
;
medians
Scratcher
1000+ posts

medians wrote:

medians wrote:

medians wrote:

Bringing this topic up.

i trolled redcat LOL

if you see this
;
mao2000
Scratcher
15 posts

ExtremeLogic wrote:

(ghost effect)//category=looks
(mosaic effect)//category=looks
(pixelate effect)//category=looks
(brightness effect)//category=looks
(color effect)//category=looks
(whirl effect)//category=looks
Or just a dropdown.
Use:
when green flag clicked
set [ghost v] effect to (0)
repeat until <(ghost) = [99]>

move (3) steps
turn right (3) degrees
change [ghost v] effect by (3)
end
Except it's not a variable. It's a “Looks” block.
↔↔↔↔↔17 SUPPORTERS!!↔↔↔↔↔
thank you that's what I want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
medians
Scratcher
1000+ posts

medians wrote:

medians wrote:

Bringing this topic up.

i trolled redcat LOL

if you see this
;
Person_Official
Scratcher
23 posts

Support, this is a block we all need.
bababadibot8
Scratcher
100+ posts

300th post! btw I see many people agreeing.

((Tabah::custom-arg) joined (Tabahania::undefined)::grey)
events @greenFlag :: events hat // And this is my normal signature
control {@turnLeft motion @turnRight :: motion
looks :: looks
sound-music :: sound
pen :: pen
sensing-videosense :: sensing
variables @delInput (operators :: operators) @addInput :: variables
list :: list
custom (custom-arg :: custom-arg) :: custom
undefined ({extension :: extension} grey :: grey ring) :: undefined stack} @loopArrow :: control

This is my signature if you are still scrolling down my posts and wonder “whats this cool blocks doing here?”.