Discuss Scratch

superstikfa
Scratcher
100+ posts

How To Train Your Dragon

I loved it once. Unfortunately, the writing style is a bit simplistic to my tastes now, but I remember it being highly humorous and a very rich viking world. I enjoyed the “bestiary” entries on the dragons.

ypsiminers
Scratcher
1 post

How To Train Your Dragon

haxcharsol wrote:

I've read the books after the movie came out just to realize that the movie might as well not be an adaption of the book considering how much they changed.
The books were kinda eh…
“Kinda eh..”? They were great, a load better than that awful “adaption”! The movie wasn't true to the book, it was generally bad and annoying, and Fishlegs is FAT! What the heck!??!?!?
haxcharsol
Scratcher
1000+ posts

How To Train Your Dragon

ypsiminers wrote:

haxcharsol wrote:

I've read the books after the movie came out just to realize that the movie might as well not be an adaption of the book considering how much they changed.
The books were kinda eh…
“Kinda eh..”? They were great, a load better than that awful “adaption”! The movie wasn't true to the book, it was generally bad and annoying, and Fishlegs is FAT! What the heck!??!?!?
Like I said, it might has well have never been an adaption.
I haven't read the books in a while and I can still think of at least five major things that the movie didn't have or changed.
I still do like the movie though, but I respect your opinion.

Last edited by haxcharsol (Feb. 25, 2014 01:14:32)

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to emit a beacon of light from my seeing orbs.
PC100
Scratcher
15 posts

How To Train Your Dragon

im watching how to your dragon 2 with B4XT3R03 today

(get it?)

hoole001
Scratcher
1000+ posts

How To Train Your Dragon

We had the first book read to us in 2nd grade/maybe 3rd grade, though I can't remember. I also REALLY love the movies.
hoole001
Scratcher
1000+ posts

How To Train Your Dragon

ypsiminers wrote:

haxcharsol wrote:

The books were kinda eh…
Aw, COME on!! It's wasn't THAT bad! I don't mean to be mean, and I respect your opinion and all, but still, it was really GREAT, even if it was a little different than the book.

Last edited by hoole001 (June 28, 2014 18:25:38)

Hiccupisawesome
New Scratcher
2 posts

How To Train Your Dragon

I am how to train your dragons number 1 fan hi
Hiccupisawesome
New Scratcher
2 posts

How To Train Your Dragon

I like the book but I just think the movie is better
hoole001
Scratcher
1000+ posts

How To Train Your Dragon

hoole001 wrote:

ypsiminers wrote:

haxcharsol wrote:

The books were kinda eh…
Aw, COME on!! It's wasn't THAT bad! I don't mean to be mean, and I respect your opinion and all, but still, it was really GREAT, even if it was a little different than the book.
Ok, a LOT different, but still, it was good.
escondido
Scratcher
1 post

How To Train Your Dragon

when is the last book,12 coming out?
Ieatcake43
Scratcher
82 posts

How To Train Your Dragon

ypsiminers wrote:

haxcharsol wrote:

The books were kinda eh…
they look weirder in httyd2. and what made ruffnut cute?I like astrids outfit though .

My starsign is Aquarius and I swear Loki is working with the kumquats that eat pe…
say [LOKI''D !!!] 
create clone of [myself]
Jump around screaming for as long as annoyingly possible .

cailynmae
Scratcher
10 posts

How To Train Your Dragon

haxcharsol wrote:

The books were kinda eh…
The books are kinda awesome! Anyway, if you compare How to Train Your Dragon the book with How to Train Your Dragon the movie you realize that they're polar opposites! Their only similarities are the fact that there are dragons and the fact that there is Hiccup and it takes place on Berk. Here is a compare and contrast thing for you: (PS: Spoiler alert!)

Takes place in:
Book: Berk | Movie: Berk
Main Character:
Book: Hiccup | Movie: Hiccup
Dragons are:
Book: Nice, trained, helpful(mostly) | Movie: Pests, mean, sheep-stealers
Hiccup's friend-ish:
Book: Fishlegs | Movie: Astrid(I think)(THEY REMOVED FISHLEGS! AND REPLACED HIM WITH A GIRL! WITH A GIRL!(Normally I have nothing against girls, being one myself. But Fishlegs is awesome!))
Toothless is a:
Book: Common-or-garden-which-thinks-he's-a-toothless-daydream-and-also-might-be-a-seadragonus-giganticus-maximus | Movie: Night Fury
Hiccup can:
Book: Speak Dragonese | Movie: Not speak Dragonese(and that's his main attribute that makes him special!)
In the end Hiccup fights:
Book: Two Seadragonus Giganticus Maximus(es?) | Movie: Big flying killer dragon thingy
Oh yeah, and in the movie? Hiccup loses a leg.

See? Book is way better! I haven't even seen the new How to Train Your Dragon movie, but I have read all the available books in the series!

Last edited by cailynmae (Feb. 25, 2015 20:50:27)

matey1234
Scratcher
1000+ posts

How To Train Your Dragon

IKR the books are way better

cailynmae wrote:

haxcharsol wrote:

The books were kinda eh…
The books are kinda awesome! Anyway, if you compare How to Train Your Dragon the book with How to Train Your Dragon the movie you realize that they're polar opposites! Their only similarities are the fact that there are dragons and the fact that there is Hiccup and it takes place on Berk. Here is a compare and contrast thing for you: (PS: Spoiler alert!)

Takes place in:
Main Character:
Dragons are:
Hiccup's friend-ish:
Book: Fishlegs | Movie: Astrid(I think)(THEY REMOVED FISHLEGS! AND REPLACED HIM WITH A GIRL! WITH A GIRL!(Normally I have nothing against girls, being one myself. But Fishlegs is awesome!))
Toothless is a:
Book: Common-or-garden-which-thinks-he's-a-toothless-daydream-and-also-might-be-a-seadragonus-giganticus-maximus | Movie: Night Fury
Hiccup can:
Book: Speak Dragonese | Movie: Not speak Dragonese(and that's his main attribute that makes him special!)
Book: Two Seadragonus Giganticus Maximus(es?) | Movie: Big flying killer dragon thingy

See? Book is way better! I haven't even seen the new How to Train Your Dragon movie, but I have read all the available books in the series!
Fishlegs was in the movie, but, the books are better. I agree with you.

| Artist | Gamer | Roleplayer | Weirdo | Lazy |

BaconAndEggs1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

How To Train Your Dragon

ypsiminers wrote:

haxcharsol wrote:

The books were kinda eh…
If you have any problems with the “awful” adaptation, consult T. J. Miller immediately. Besides, it's an adaptation. They're going to change things. That's why Lord of the Rings was considered “the unfilmable book”.

Last edited by BaconAndEggs1 (March 1, 2015 02:52:54)

Cinderella2006
Scratcher
11 posts

How To Train Your Dragon

I'm a number 1 fan of How to train your Dragon.
happygoat432
Scratcher
100+ posts

How To Train Your Dragon

ypsiminers wrote:

haxcharsol wrote:

The books were kinda eh…
Okay, the movies were a lot different from the books. It's best to accept the two as separate, seeing as the only real similarity between the two is names; names of people, names of places, etc.

The movies and the books each have their own plus and minuses. The books are highly humorous, feature lots of interesting characters and amazing dragons, and there are tons of them to read. However, their writing style is a bit “young” for me, which shouldn't necessarily be a downside, as it's merely a matter of personal preference.

The movies, though they stray quite far from the original plotline, do a spectacular job with the visuals and physics of the dragons, something which I as an artist appreciate greatly. Despite their obvious differences, both versions of HTTYD provide interesting portrayals of dragons as friends as opposed to foes.

The loveliest lies of all~
Ieatcake43
Scratcher
82 posts

How To Train Your Dragon

Hiccupisawesome wrote:

I am how to train your dragons number 1 fan hi
that was my job !

My starsign is Aquarius and I swear Loki is working with the kumquats that eat pe…
say [LOKI''D !!!] 
create clone of [myself]

Ieatcake43
Scratcher
82 posts

How To Train Your Dragon

cailynmae wrote:

haxcharsol wrote:

The books were kinda eh…

Takes place in:
Main Character:
Dragons are:
Hiccup's friend-ish:
Toothless is a:
Hiccup can:

GOOD COMPARISONS

say [LOKI''D !!!] 
create clone of [myself]

Ieatcake43
Scratcher
82 posts

How To Train Your Dragon

IM DREAMING ABOUT IT A LOT THESE DAYS
WEIRD HUH!?

say [LOKI''D !!!] 
create clone of [myself]

dragonwysper
Scratcher
6 posts

How To Train Your Dragon

Cinderella2006 wrote:

I'm a number 1 fan of How to train your Dragon.
me too.