Discuss Scratch

CodeQueen16
Scratcher
37 posts

How can I be more popular on Scratch?

I'm just a regular Scratcher, and I hate that. How do I get more points on the Popular-O-Meter? In addition, I'm kind of jealous of my friend @Nether_before too. Here's some MORE DESCRIPTIVE questions:

1: How do I make a project good enough to be featured?
2:How do I get more followers?
3: How do I use a Famous Friend to become famous myself? (Now closed. It's a bad idea.)
4: How do I answer in a way that makes people want to talk to me?
5: How do I stop being jealous?
And most importantly:
HOW DO I MAKE A QUALITY PROJECT????

Last edited by CodeQueen16 (Oct. 28, 2015 00:30:12)

Keep FNAF on Scratch!
-The Fazbear Gang and CodeQueen16
DerAxeEffekt
Scratcher
100+ posts

1: Hard work, and uh, dedication… something like that, inspirational stuff, you know.
2: I guess… er… act nicer to people? If you're already acting nice with others, we can go deeper, yes, you can be the very ethalon of niceness.
3: No idea, really, not familiar with such things.
4: Talk in ROT13, so that people will make comments on your profile, asking what you said.
5: No idea, but for some reason, I imagined the sentence “Stop getting what you want, start wanting what you got.” Don't ask how I imagied it.
And most importantly:
REFER TO ANSWER #1!!!!

P.S. Does a person who has read the Harry Potter books (all of ‘em) and considers them good - but isn’t a fanatic - count as a Potterhead?

(insert oversized quotation mark) If it is on the internet, it must be true. (insert another oversized quotation mark)
-Abraham Lincoln
MegaApuTurkUltra
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CodeQueen16 wrote:

You don't need to be featured to be popular.

CodeQueen16 wrote:

Primarily, by making good projects. Forum posts and comments and stuff don't really matter.

CodeQueen16 wrote:

3: How do I use a Famous Friend to become famous myself?
Don't. That sort of scheme is bound for failure.

CodeQueen16 wrote:

Use correct spelling and grammar first of all (which you do; congrats, your posts are more readable than 99.99% of Scratchers').
Be helpful, don't repeat what anyone already said, be friendly, etc. (Which you are also doing. Honestly I'm not sure why “people don't want to talk to you”)

CodeQueen16 wrote:

I deal with jealousy by just avoiding griffpatch's projects whenever possible

CodeQueen16 wrote:

And most importantly:
You need to have 2 of the following: good art, good scripts, good sounds, creativity, originality.
More specifically, you should actually put effort into your project. This took me at least 2 weeks / 24 hours.
Note that you don't need something overly complicated to be good. I cater to the AT community but most Scratchers' standards are pretty low.
Lastly, make sure to give credit to resources you may have used from other Scratchers. I can't describe how annoying it is when someone rips someone off with no credit given.

$(".box-head")[0].textContent = "committing AT crimes since $whenever"
Epicness123
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Okay, first of all, popularity doesn't matter on Scratch. Just saying.

CodeQueen16 wrote:

And most importantly:

1. Projects aren't featured randomly. They're suggested by people to be featured.
2. By making good projects.
3. You don't. Using a friend to become popular won't really get you popular.
4. Don't know.
5. Try to stop being jealous.
6. It takes a lot of time to make a quality project (At least 5 hours of work)
You can't just try to make a quality project in 30 minutes or less.

Sadly, my kumquats were eaten by an evil forum signature.
CodeQueen16
Scratcher
37 posts

Any ideas for complicated projects?

Keep FNAF on Scratch!
IronBit_Studios
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CodeQueen16 wrote:

Any ideas for complicated projects?
…And that goes in the Requests forum even though nobody goes there
Plus, Scratch is about learning programming. Do you go to school to become popular, or to get an education?

liam48D
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CodeQueen16 wrote:

I believe Paddle2See said somewhere that original art is much more likely to get featured than using a tilemap downloaded from Google Images. That's just a tip of course - there's much more to it than just that! Just try your best is the best advice I can think of.

CodeQueen16 wrote:

Make good projects. The point of following is to be notified when the followed person makes more projects so if you keep making good projects people will want to follow you.

CodeQueen16 wrote:

Bad idea.

CodeQueen16 wrote:

Use proper grammar and punctuation. A good example of bad punctuation and grammar is basically any reply on an announced forum thread - and this post is much easier to read than any of those!

CodeQueen16 wrote:

MATU wrote:

Stay away from griffpatch
But also DadOfMrLog!

CodeQueen16 wrote:

And most importantly:
Try your best?

202e-202e-202e-202e-202e UNI-CODE~~~~~
xxLlamasForeverxx
Scratcher
4 posts

“how to become famous”
the way i got alot of followers is i remixed a featured project. other ways is to follow more people, enter contests, comment on featured projects (or any projects :p)
it simply takes time.
a way to make people want to talk to you is to be kind.

“I thought music was boring, until i heard Owl City.”
-XxLlamasForeverxX
CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

liam48D wrote:

MATU wrote:

Stay away from griffpatch
But also DadOfMrLog!
but matu is good at scratch

xxLlamasForeverxx wrote:

“how to become famous”
the way i got alot of followers is i remixed a featured project. other ways is to follow more people, enter contests, comment on featured projects (or any projects :p)
it simply takes time.
a way to make people want to talk to you is to be kind.
Many remixes of featured projects are just exact copies, in an attempt to get as popular as possible.

bottom text
arman516
Scratcher
500+ posts

Epicness123 wrote:

Okay, first of all, popularity doesn't matter on Scratch. Just saying.

CodeQueen16 wrote:

And most importantly:

1. Projects aren't featured randomly. They're suggested by people to be featured.
2. By making good projects.
3. You don't. Using a friend to become popular won't really get you popular.
4. Don't know.
5. Try to stop being jealous.
6. It takes a lot of time to make a quality project (At least 5 hours of work)
You can't just try to make a quality project in 30 minutes or less.
read Epicness123 reply, and my suggestion is hard work and being active on the forums!

Scratch is programming, Programming is math, Math makes you smart, Being smart is good, and being good is great!

Links!
l Community Guidlines l Advertise Here l Need Help? l Create A Project! l Recent Featured Project By applepiesleth l This link doesn't actually do anything… l ¿Hablas español? l Discuss Your Goals On Scratch! I

Blaze349
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Uh don't seek fame but instead make what you enjoy
lionkingrafiki
Scratcher
37 posts

Remix popolar projects!
Do you want know how it can help?

Last edited by lionkingrafiki (Oct. 27, 2015 19:30:41)

MegaApuTurkUltra
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Blaze349 wrote:

^
^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

$(".box-head")[0].textContent = "committing AT crimes since $whenever"
ChocolatePi
Scratcher
1000+ posts

FAME DOESN'T MATTER ON SCRATCH I WANT YOU TO STAY UNKNOWN FOREVER!

Just kidding! I am very tired of hearing this myself. It is a very worn out phrase.

Some advice:

Take your time on your projects. Make them good. Make them really good. Remake them if you think they're not good enough.

Don't try to make people look at your projects. If you make them well enough and invest enough time, people will come and look at them.

Work at what you are best at. If you have your dreams set on a giant 3d multiplayer platformer, try starting small. Make a puzzle game.
IronBit_Studios
Scratcher
1000+ posts

lionkingrafiki wrote:

Remix popular projects!
That's not good if you don't change anything.

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

Blaze349 wrote:

^
^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^

lionkingrafiki
Scratcher
37 posts

IronBit_Studios wrote:

lionkingrafiki wrote:

Remix popular projects!
That's not good if you don't change anything.

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

Blaze349 wrote:

^
^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^
I know!
CodeQueen16
Scratcher
37 posts

Bump

Keep FNAF on Scratch!
DrKat123
Scratcher
1000+ posts

It's not about fame ! It's about coding !

ChocolatePi wrote:

Some advice:

Take your time on your projects. Make them good. Make them really good. Remake them if you think they're not good enough.

Don't try to make people look at your projects. If you make them well enough and invest enough time, people will come and look at them.

Work at what you are best at. If you have your dreams set on a giant 3d multiplayer platformer, try starting small. Make a puzzle game.
Just to remind you, Scratch is not about fame

Moving from Scratch? Don't learn C or Java, try Snap!
it haz OOP
DrKat McKatFace
First of all I'm 100% human and humans does not have a cat face
and second, the Boaty McBoatFace/Parsey McParseFace madness has just begun

λ
Sharp, my new Scratch mod
Is my post/siggy worthy for an internet?
iamlink1
Scratcher
70 posts

CodeQueen16 wrote:

I'm just a regular Scratcher, and I hate that. How do I get more points on the Popular-O-Meter? In addition, I'm kind of jealous of my friend @Nether_before too. Here's some MORE DESCRIPTIVE questions:

3: How do I use a Famous Friend to become famous myself? (Now closed. It's a bad idea.)
And most importantly:

Ok, first of all, being famous on Scratch isn't even the point of Scratch. If you enjoy these competitive environments, be on social media. Scratch is about programming, having fun, and making stuff the way you want.

1: Hard work. Not every project will be featured, of course. But projects with phenomenal coding, amazing graphics, and lovely instructions get feature. There are a few requirements, of course. They can be viewed on the first post here.
2: Be a good friend to people. Be nice to others, and make stuff that people will enjoy.
3: Uh… so you want to manipulate a friendship with a great person, to try to make yourself popular? You're right, it was a horrible idea.
4: Answer with polite responses, of course. Be engaging with your responses.
5: Uh… you just do? See something awesome? Strive to do something equally awesome. You can't go far in life if you get jealous over everything. Just ignore it, and go on.

To make a quality project, first check out projects you think are awesome. Get inspired, and set your mind to it. Include flawless graphics and great code. That's the best advice I can give.

For more reading, this is an awesome guide.

Last edited by iamlink1 (Oct. 28, 2015 05:01:00)

NO my signature did not get eaten by a kumquat. It … uh … er … see … funny story …

it got eaten by a kumquat.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite 10.10.4, Flash 18.0 (release 0)
Zro716
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I consider myself well known throughout the community but it's not like I asked for it. The reason why we all say “Scratch isn't for fame” is because a lot of people think of Scratch as a social place more than a learning place. Sure you can make friends here, but the important thing to recognize is that you're here to learn the usefulness of programming.

You have to give yourself an incentive to work in Scratch, other than “getting famous”, because you will get tired of working and never get satisfaction if you do. My incentive was that I had lots of big ideas to make, and Scratch helped bring them to reality. For example, I've always wanted to make a sudoku puzzle solver, and I successfully did! It may not have gotten as popular as some projects, but the true reward was the satisfaction of solving a problem.

You don't always have to make mind-blowing projects. Just make the projects that you enjoy, but also take the time to understand how to solve problems through programming. People appreciate intellectual projects more than anything.

As a long time Scratcher, I have found new meaning to the name “Scratch”: for me, it means to “scratch that itch”, to come back again and again to realize new ideas in this toy language, even when I'm capable of creating my projects in real programming languages years later. It's a friend that helped me to pursue programming and get me to enjoy its fruit. I'm certain many others who have walked this path as well have grown fond of its importance in their life.