Discuss Scratch

Rumanti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ITopic: What to do after Scratch Guide (IMPORTANT)

ProcessingJS, although inspired by Processing, is not the same as Processing. I am actually suggesting two different things.

ProcessingJS: A JavaScript library, inspired by Processing. You can learn how to make stuff (like games!) with ProcessingJS here: KhanAcademy course
Processing: An offline Java-based software, focusing on rendering computed graphics. I would compare it to Scratch's Pen feature.

Also, JavaScript is not the same as Java- as the joke says, “like car and carpet”.

Sorry for the confusion

:wq
WooHooBoy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Rumanti wrote:

ProcessingJS, although inspired by Processing, is not the same as Processing. I am actually suggesting two different things.

ProcessingJS: A JavaScript library, inspired by Processing. You can learn how to make stuff (like games!) with ProcessingJS here: KhanAcademy course
Processing: An offline Java-based software, focusing on rendering computed graphics. I would compare it to Scratch's Pen feature.

Also, JavaScript is not the same as Java- as the joke says, “like car and carpet”.

Sorry for the confusion
Not to mention there are kind of two processing.js. One is a library that converts Java code (still Java) to canvas so you can use it in a webpage without Java. You're still programming in Java.

The Processing.js that Khan uses is actually a variant and is the Processing concepts moved to Javascript. You are using JS here.

considered harmful
Rumanti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

WooHooBoy wrote:

Rumanti wrote:

Sorry for the confusion
Not to mention there are kind of two processing.js. One is a library that converts Java code (still Java) to canvas so you can use it in a webpage without Java. You're still programming in Java.

The Processing.js that Khan uses is actually a variant and is the Processing concepts moved to Javascript. You are using JS here.
There are two? Oh dear, I haven't heard about the first one.

:wq
Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Nice guide! I've added it to the list of helpful topics. Thanks for putting this together

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;
Blaze349
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Paddle2See wrote:

Nice guide! I've added it to the list of helpful topics. Thanks for putting this together
Thanks!
VoltageGames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

i just realized-
we kind of have the same thread, but with some different information.
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/78554/
(as you can tell, my thread talks about moving beyond Scratch with other drag-and-drops, and yours is about much more, like art and actual/text programming)

Last edited by VoltageGames (Nov. 4, 2015 23:26:08)

i3-6100 / r9 380 / 8 gigs ram / 1 tb hdd

Click here to inflate my ego and thank me for my posts.

9-plus-10
Scratcher
2 posts

cool! im planning to move to C++ soon

A
monIy00
Scratcher
85 posts

C# is nice because it is easier to learn than C++ (in my opinion, anyway)
comp09
Scratcher
1000+ posts

monIy00 wrote:

C# locks you into Microshaft's Visual .NET garbáge. Install Linux + GCC/G++ and learn vanilla C++. It's pretty fun!

Visit the website of Andrew Sun!

Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

comp09 wrote:

monIy00 wrote:

C# locks you into Microshaft's Visual .NET garbáge. Install Linux + GCC/G++ and learn vanilla C++. It's pretty fun!
It is!
if you don't want to install Linux you can get MinGW or Cygwin or Microsoft's Visual C++.

Not yet a Knight of the Mu Calculus.
comp09
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Jonathan50 wrote:

comp09 wrote:

monIy00 wrote:

It is!
if you don't want to install Linux you can get MinGW or Cygwin or Microsoft's Visual C++.
Two letters:
N
O

Visit the website of Andrew Sun!

Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

comp09 wrote:

Jonathan50 wrote:

comp09 wrote:

monIy00 wrote:

It is!
Two letters:
N
O
It's not that bad

Not yet a Knight of the Mu Calculus.
monIy00
Scratcher
85 posts

comp09 wrote:

monIy00 wrote:

It doesn't lock you in. It's a nice easy way of starting to learn C-like languages.
Jenekbumburum-
New to Scratch
12 posts

Blaze349 wrote:

Introduction

Scratch is a great website for beginners but what happens when you are no longer a beginner? What do you do after scratch? What do you learn next? What do you create and with what? This question is always beings asked so I decided to compile a list of the best most useful software that can further your progress.

Art
When continuing from scratch you will surely miss the easy to use art editors bundled inside of it. When you continue of scratch you will find that many premium art services cost a lot of money but luckily there are a lot of free programs out there that offer the basically the same thing as the paid versions.

Blender is an opensource 3d creation software. Its been around for a long time and so boast impressive features while the learning curve is not high at all. Some places to learn Blender.

Autodesk is mostly known for their world class products like MAX and MAYA and CAD but they also have a basic raster program in the form of Sketchbook( it does have a premium version) Sketchbook is significantly better if you possess a tablet for sketching. Autodesk's most famous programs boat blinding price tags but there is a nifty way to get them free but it only works if you are a student registered in an official education facility in your country.

First you have to head over to the Autodesk Education Communityand sign up for it then you have all the software at your disposal.

But be careful.
You can only use the software for non-profit noncommercial projects.

Serif DrawPlusStarter is a free watered down version of their award winning DrawPlus. Its downside is that it is only for windows.

4. Gimp

Gimp is seen as a free replacement to the more expensive Photoshop. Gimp is an excellent program but is a little hard to grasp.

5. Inkscape
Inkscape is a professional vector editing tool. It rivals industry standard illustrator in some parts.But Inkscape's fault lies in its GUI. Its User Interface looks abominable for a program focused on creating clean art. But if you can get past this u
you'll find an excellent program hidden underneath.

That concludes our Art section it is time to move unto the best game engines and coding languages after scratch.

1. Javascript and HTML+CSS
These three coding languages power the internet world. Most websites are written in them including Scratch. The provide a way to make online games and are relatively simple to learn. The folks at Codecademy have a great course written specifically for this.

Some good libraries:
jquery
processing.js(Thanks Rumanti)

Helpful places:
s2js(thanks waimate01)

2. Python
Pretty similar to Javascript except in syntax. Can be learned at Codecademy

3. C++

The most widely used for creating applications. C++ is a must learn if you are planning to code without an engine.

Game Engines

Here we reach the climax of our topic…What engines to use after Scratch.

For this we'll be looking at two world-class free software and comparing them.

Lets start

[

The above video pretty much demonstrates the capabilities of unreal engine. Unreal Engine used to cost 750,000 dollars then to make it more affordable they made it 18 dollars per month and now it is completely free(except for royalties when you make over 3000). You heard me correctly. The entire 750,000 dollar worth program with all thve to include their splash screen. Unity makes you code shaders with words rather than nodes and it is all very complex and inefficient.

That concludes the first guide
GDevelop? (It's an app for making Native and HTML5 games without code)

Go here for something awesome! - http://bit.ly/1O7C9ng

I RICKROLLED YOU!!!
KryptykFun
Scratcher
2 posts

Isn't the free version of Unity basically the same as the paid, minus features like custom splash-screens, Unity cloud, etc.?

I could be wrong, but from what I gather, the free version of the Unity engine comes with all features.
BunnyTales
Scratcher
29 posts

Snap! is a lot like scratch it just has more blocks.
BunnyTales
Scratcher
29 posts

JavaScript, Css and HTML can also be taught at Khan academy along with an animation intro.
SuperNicky
Scratcher
100+ posts

*Mentions game engines*
*Doesn't mention Source Engine*

Last edited by SuperNicky (March 13, 2017 21:07:06)

HappyParakeet
Scratcher
100+ posts

I am learning Python, and I seriously recommend it to anyone wishing to continue on with Scratch knowledge because you apply every single scratch concept in Python!
I also recommend Maya and SketchbookPro, I have made professional animations with them, and continue to. Maya is hard to learn on your own but super fun!

Hi, I'm HappyParakeet. I make small, creative games and programs and have been front-paged six times. I'm also a Scratch wiki editor and a college student. Check out my page here. Follow my github!

If you are responding to me, please leave a comment on my profile! I do not follow discussions :)
HappyParakeet
Scratcher
100+ posts

BunnyTales wrote:

Snap! is a lot like scratch it just has more blocks.
Snap is also quite annoying if you are used to Scratch stuff, because it has many cheats and doesn't have some Scratch blocks, and on the whole, I find Scratch better.

Hi, I'm HappyParakeet. I make small, creative games and programs and have been front-paged six times. I'm also a Scratch wiki editor and a college student. Check out my page here. Follow my github!

If you are responding to me, please leave a comment on my profile! I do not follow discussions :)