Discuss Scratch

Ham19-01-2011
Scratcher
1000+ posts

12 vs. 24 Hours

historical_supa wrote:

Why not? Some people, especially younger kids, would not even know how to convert between the two!
But is the amount of younger kids on Scratch sufficient to implement this?

You are expected to know how to convert between 12-hour-time and 24-hour-time when you are 8-9 years of age. At the age of 8 or 9, you probably would not be too familiar with this idea (since you would have just learnt it).

According to the Scratch statistics page, about 4 million Scratchers are 9 years old.

The Scratch Wiki states that “less than 1% of Scratchers use the Scratch Discussion Forums.” So only 1% of 9-year-olds (about 40,000 people) use the forums and very few of them would need to know the date of a post, let alone the time.

If this was implemented, it would not be used much because not many people would actually need it. Besides, learning how to tell 24-hour-time is a skill that should be practised.

FemaleRavenclawAvid reader and writerMaths enthusiastForumer
SuggestionerQaS-erHarry Potter fanMonopoly fan

❝ I'm not superstitious but I am a little stitious
- Michael Scott
imfh
Scratcher
1000+ posts

12 vs. 24 Hours

Ham19-01-2011 wrote:

-snip-

If this was implemented, it would not be used much because not many people would actually need it. Besides, learning how to tell 24-hour-time is a skill that should be practised.
How many people who use Scratch live in the US? In the US 24 hour time is pretty much never used, so most people would prefer to have 12 hour time on the forums even if they don’t strictly need it.

Scratch to Pygame converter: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/600562/
Ham19-01-2011
Scratcher
1000+ posts

12 vs. 24 Hours

imfh wrote:

Ham19-01-2011 wrote:

-snip-

How many people who use Scratch live in the US? In the US 24 hour time is pretty much never used, so most people would prefer to have 12 hour time on the forums even if they don’t strictly need it.
The Statistics page says that 36.39% of Scratch live in the United States while the percentage from all other countries is generally around 3%.

Reconsidering this, this would be very useful seeing as most Scratchers are from the US (and the US does not use 24-hour-time a lot). Thanks for telling me, this was because of my lack of knowledge about different countries.

Last edited by Ham19-01-2011 (April 12, 2022 13:12:23)

- Michael Scott
SomeoneOnThelnternet
Scratcher
1000+ posts

12 vs. 24 Hours

I'd actually really like this feature, along with a way to select your timezone, because for example, the post above me was made today at 09:11:56 which is confusing because for me it's 8:30 AM.

male | he/him | forumer | PST | 2000+ posts |

LINKS:

profile | 2000th post | scratching the surface six | more coming soon…

comment “bongis” on skadoodly's profile please
CoconutGator
Scratcher
1000+ posts

12 vs. 24 Hours

Support. There's already a relatively low amount of options to change how to forums work for yourself personally, so I don't see why not. It wouldn't add much clutter to the options.

Guess I should use the signature for explaining myself rather than Skyrim quotes. So hi. I'm Gator.

Metal albums I like:
* From Mars to Sirius - Gojira
* Citadel - Ne Obliviscaris
* With All Their Might - Dyscarnate
* Ghost Reveries - Opeth
* Monarchy - Rivers of Nihil

Recommend me more (please)
imfh
Scratcher
1000+ posts

12 vs. 24 Hours

SomeoneOnThelnternet wrote:

I'd actually really like this feature, along with a way to select your timezone, because for example, the post above me was made today at 09:11:56 which is confusing because for me it's 8:30 AM.
That’s another good reason to add an option for 12 hour time. If somebody is used to 12 hour time and lives in a different time zone, they don’t have to just subtract 12 hours. You also have to figure out how much time to add or subtract to get the time zone right.

Although I think Scratch does sometimes work with different time zones? I’m not sure.

Scratch to Pygame converter: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/600562/
TheAnimalKingdom42
Scratcher
1000+ posts

12 vs. 24 Hours

I would support only if you could toggle between the two. If I could only choose one, I would choose the 24 hour time we have now. It works well for its purpose here and I prefer it for the forums even though it's not the standard in my country.

MagicCoder330
Scratcher
500+ posts

12 vs. 24 Hours

BlueCrayfish wrote:

No support. Minor inconvenience.

How would this be an inconvenience? it would probably be what it is already by default.

Hello, this is my signature! it goes under every post I make and isn't part of it. shift control down and such to see more

Misconceptions about the Scratch Room

* Low floor: It should be easy to climb in and get started with Scratch - even for Scratchers who have no experience programming. - This does NOT mean complex things shouldn't be added. Making the ceiling higher or the walls wider doesn't make the floor harder to get on.
* Wide walls: Scratchers should be able to make all kinds of things with Scratch - not just animations and games, but news programs, science experiments, things we can't even imagine. - Wide walls means that some things that may be unconventional or odd or “useless” at first glance may still be worthwhile to add, because some people may find them useful for making new unique things.
* High Ceiling: Even though it's easy for someone who is new to programming to get started with Scratch, it should still be possible to make complex stuff. - Although the floor is there, many forumers just look up at the ceiling rather than thinking about the floor. They say “this would be too complicated, new Scratchers wouldn't understand it” without considering the fact that it can be worked up to with the handy floor we have.

((( OwO :: #DC381F) :: #FFCC00)  :: #FFCC00)
This is Georgie the evil grapefruit. He is much larger, stronger, more nutritious and scarier than a kumquat. Donate your soul to him at my profile to help him gain power to overthrow the kumquats and claim his position as the best signature eater!

This is a social experiment, comment and you MIGHT get curator

Get games off the other categories!
Twinklespeak
Scratcher
100+ posts

12 vs. 24 Hours

Support. I hate having to look up a 24-to-12-hour time converter when I wanna know the time of something.
I never learned to read 24-hour time even though my dad uses it for some reason. X_X

“The color of infinity inside an empty glass…”
Not very active on Scratch anymore. More likely to be seen on the forums than the main site.
7salad3salad
Scratcher
1000+ posts

12 vs. 24 Hours

Though it is pretty easy to convert, this would just be good for the people who dont know how.

Forumer Post Count Bar Graph! (inspired by AIGamesDeveloper)
Project: Forummon by randomguy3513
hi, contrast
JUST BECAUSE THERES A WORKAROUND ISNT A GOOD REASON TO NOT SUPPORT!!!

dont call me 7salad
dont call me 7salsa lol
just simply “Salad” will do.

:]::#00289A// This is my pet Noobles! He protects my signature from [i]unwanted guests[/i]

B){

}::#800080//This is Noobles' big brother, Probles. He has returned and Noobles is happy to see him!
//oh, yeah, he is also cool so he wears sunglasses.

:P::cap sensing//This is their little brother, Doobles

old banner thnng
Ham19-01-2011
Scratcher
1000+ posts

12 vs. 24 Hours

MagicCoder330 wrote:

BlueCrayfish wrote:

How would this be an inconvenience? it would probably be what it is already by default.
They are saying it is only a minor inconvenience now and that it should not be implemented due to its insignificance.

- Michael Scott
whenthesilly
Scratcher
100+ posts

12 vs. 24 Hours

This would be useful! Support!

meow
CIinomania
Scratcher
77 posts

12 vs. 24 Hours

Support.
There's no reason not to.

hiiiii smiles at youse,,,,,, :}}}}} hiiiiiii helloo
randomguy3513
Scratcher
1000+ posts

12 vs. 24 Hours

bump

(Male) (He/Him) (2000+ posts) (4 Years)
Banner by depresso-boiyo, check him out!
Ctrl+shift+down to check out my projects!

Thanks for scrolling; if you like what I do, please follow me!
xz-Blaze
Scratcher
1000+ posts

12 vs. 24 Hours

bump! support, that will make it easier for you to see what time it was when it was posted. (not necropost)

if one more person comments "Blaze" on my profile... | water
i ate an evil kumquat before it ate me!!!
DO NOT attempt to eat my- CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP!!!
you'll never take me alive, evil thing! credit to cheddargirl.
the 2016 Sing topic
;
sonic__fan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

12 vs. 24 Hours

Support if it's an option.

This is my signature. It is not a part of this post and it appears under every post I make.
Sonic Says
Every world has its end. I know that's kinda sad, but, that's why we have to live life to the fullest in the time we have. At least… that's what I figure.
Hey there, I'm sonic__fan. I just look for good suggestions to add to Scratch.
TECHNOBLADE NEVER DIES
inom5962dojo
Scratcher
100+ posts

12 vs. 24 Hours

MathlyCat wrote:

BlueCrayfish wrote:

Good, I'm not gonna be a lone fish!

No support:

MOST of the world uses 24-Hour
Even though I use 12-Hour, 24 Hour is much more understandable
It's just a wasteful bunch of code to make an AM/PM system

You can just subtract 12, it’s not that hard, plus, you memorize it after you’ve been doing it for a while.

Last edited by inom5962dojo (Feb. 7, 2023 20:47:38)

when green flag clicked
wait until <(signature) = (nearby)> = [true]
if <(username) = <not <inom5962dojo>>> then
repeat until < <(signature) = (nearby)> = [false] >
play sound [CHOMP v] until done
eat singnature
end
end
when green flag clicked
forever
if <<(evil kumquat) = (nearby)> = [true]> then
repeat until (<(evil kumquat) = (nearby)> = [false])
attack kumquat
say [Leave]
end
end
end
ScratchCatHELLO
Scratcher
1000+ posts

12 vs. 24 Hours

Twinklespeak wrote:

Support. I hate having to look up a 24-to-12-hour time converter when I wanna know the time of something.
I never learned to read 24-hour time even though my dad uses it for some reason. X_X

you don’t have to look up a converter. if the hour is 12 or more it’s PM. otherwise it’s AM. if it’s PM, subtract 12 from the hour. more annoying is the lack of timezone selection.

ScratchCatHELLO
I have 5600+ posts, I've been on scratch for 5 1/2 years, I'm a Forum Helper™ and I have a Scratch Wiki account!
I like: Python, CSS, Javascript, Rust

Python 3 Text Adventure
cool new browser game - cursed laughing-crying emoji - Illuminati - you know waterbenders, but do you know stock-imagebenders? - snek - vibin' - Bump song (vevo) - Speed bump - yee - fred - m i c k e y
Crow_Boy08
Scratcher
1000+ posts

12 vs. 24 Hours

Blank

Last edited by Crow_Boy08 (Feb. 7, 2023 21:37:45)

<OUO> :: motion  // this is gary he protects my siggy from evil kumquats 

(( ( •) ) _ (( •))    :: #000000   // this is Michael incase gary cant defeat the kumquats
Post your fakemon! (I would like to see your fanmade pokemon)
bring back the uploads image host
Website
Please post on fakemon forum.
BFAVRH 1
ToastRoastBoast
Scratcher
500+ posts

12 vs. 24 Hours

bump cuz dupe

ihfeifiebifbri