Discuss Scratch

DotDash
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I think I found out why Scratch 2.0 lags; and I think I know how to fix it!

Support

My browser / operating system: MacOS Macintosh X 10.8.5, Chrome 29.0.1547.76, Flash 11.8 (release 800)
dusty22
Scratcher
100+ posts

So Scratch team, you guys have anything to say about this? Comments? Questions? Scolding?

Also, check out this topic, where me and some other Scratchers discuss other reasons for bad performance in the project player, and I complain about Scratch not having hardware acceleration .

Last edited by dusty22 (July 18, 2013 13:55:21)

Like the Megaman X series? Want to make Megaman games in Scratch? Check out my studio here, The Megaman X Scratch Engine.
savaka
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The point of it is so you can see inside and get in where you were when you were viewing the project.
Tierage
Scratcher
500+ posts

Uhm, TL;DR?
jkreadthrough

dusty22
Scratcher
100+ posts

Maybe it could be an option for the user, whether they want the editor and project pages loaded separately.

Have them load at the same time if you're doing a bunch of editing and want to quickly jump back and forth. Or separately when you want the best play experience.

Like the Megaman X series? Want to make Megaman games in Scratch? Check out my studio here, The Megaman X Scratch Engine.
Tierage
Scratcher
500+ posts

I support.

ST FIX DIS

dusty22
Scratcher
100+ posts

Why does Scratch Team always like to play the “no comment” card on threads I'm interested in?

turkey3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dusty22 wrote:

Why does Scratch Team always like to play the “no comment” card on threads I'm interested in?
They already did. John m already posted here and Paddle told me he was looking into it (either paddle, cheddar, or lightnin, can't remember who).

TM_
Scratcher
1000+ posts

johnm wrote:

Hi, Turkey3.

I believe there may be several different lag problems. One problem that I've been able to reproduce (but not solve yet) seems to be specific to Chrome (or possibly the version of Flash built into Chrome). The symptom is slow/delayed/jerky response to keyboard events, such as you find in many games. But the lag only appears in certain projects and I haven't yet figured out what's special about those projects that causes it.

I noticed, that all big projects with stamps/Drawing-Blocks cause lags on chrome, if you press a key. For example Planet Defense and Interxptor (A good project to test lag-power on different browser).I noticd it also on many other Projects with stamps and drawing. And i think all of this projects had drawing-blocks in a script, which runs without screen refresh. Maybe is there the bug? Because on projects with these scripts it lags always a bit, but extremely on chrome.

Last edited by TM_ (July 27, 2013 15:34:30)

My YouTube-Account: TM_ (TMtheScratcher)
Join the Google+ Community “Persist” and test the latest Alpha-versions and get news about the desktop-game! Persist
mrsrec
Scratcher
500+ posts

This Seems To Be The Ten Thousandth Topic.
ProdigyZeta7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

mrsrec wrote:

This Seems To Be The Ten Thousandth Topic.
Well gosh, I never knew, thank you for your helpful necropost.

MechaDragon1204
Scratcher
64 posts

UPDATE

This could be (potentially) fixed!
The Scratch Team's recent release of the Beta off-site editor could mean that Scratch will eventually become off-site again!
This would, quite simply, nullify and need for the current editor. Therefore, it would not be on the same page, and the lag would virtually disappear.

You're wasting your time. The post is up there!
lisafireball
Scratcher
100+ posts

NoxSpooth wrote:

Sure thing. Support.

EDIT: This seems to be the 10,000th topic on the new Forums! Look at the URL.
Omg! Your right!!
turkey3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MechaDragon1204 wrote:

UPDATE

This could be (potentially) fixed!
The Scratch Team's recent release of the Beta off-site editor could mean that Scratch will eventually become off-site again!
This would, quite simply, nullify and need for the current editor. Therefore, it would not be on the same page, and the lag would virtually disappear.
I was saying how the project editor lags the project page. It's not the project page that lags the project editor; the whole solution was a way to make projects on the project page lag less, not in the editor.

ZacDeC
Scratcher
3 posts

I've just been wondering if the lag will be fixed in a future update. Sometimes my projects run fine, while other times it doesn't. 1.4 definitely worked better than 2.0 in my opinion.
jpcreeper13
Scratcher
9 posts

Can someone tell me why this project lags?

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/35043160/#player

when green flag clicked
if <[jpcreeper13] = [awesome]> then

say [AWW YEAH]
end
Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

jpcreeper13 wrote:

Can someone tell me why this project lags?

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/35043160/#player
It's probably best to start a new topic of your own about your problem - this topic is very old and the information may no longer be accurate.

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;