Discuss Scratch

CATS10760
Scratcher
77 posts

Common and Recurring Issues List (PLEASE READ BEFORE REPORTING AN ISSUE)

Heyo I’m CAT! Ever since the new color contrast update came out I’ve not been able to see projects on phone. I see everything else except for what’s in the box in the project. The box that is the project doesn’t even show up instead there is the title and then right under it the heart and star and remix. And the instructions and notes & credits. My friend @ILOVEPANDAS1419 said that this was because of lag, but I waited 10 mins after reloading the page and the box didn’t show up. To be fair, my device is a old iPod touch 6th gen, but it was able to run projects before the update ( I was able to see the box before the update on my iPod ) but this is really weird and as far as I know, has never happened to me before. The box shows up when I play on my tablet PC though. I’m not sure if this all is because of a glitch, or something but whatever it is please fix it if you can because it’s very annoying, and scratch should be able to run at least some projects on phone. (Although most of them crash for me. ;- I have pictures if you want to see them. thank you for your time. :3

☆ ★ I have a sweet tooth :3 ★ ☆
tc2021jbp
Scratcher
1 post

Does anyone know how to fix this this problem because when I have 50-6.73 scratch says it equals 43.730000000000004 when it should be 43.73
<((50) - (6.73))=wrong answer>

Last edited by tc2021jbp (Aug. 3, 2023 13:33:12)

dylagent
Scratcher
11 posts

my costumes randomly ungroup when i click another costume.

when green flag clicked
switch costume to [dylagent]
say [Hello! Thanks for reading my comment!]
esmars26
Scratcher
100+ posts

Subject: My login details are showing up in the search bar.
Answer: This is partly an issue with Scratch. Google thinks that the search bar is a login box, because of the code, and displays the user's login information. Engineering is working on it.
Category: Community and Accounts
Forum topic: scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/706469/

Last edited by esmars26 (Aug. 26, 2023 18:13:23)

esmars26
—————————

Be high contrast

Get away you evil kumquat!
hanyulin20231218
New to Scratch
4 posts

Help ! Please!

I have just downloaded Scratch 3 for Windows and installed it.

I had an issue that when I finish coding and click the green flag, there is no animation shown on the screen , I can hear the sound though.

Pls kindly help me on this, thank you in advance!

hanyulin20231218
New to Scratch
4 posts

Help ! Please!

I have just downloaded Scratch 3 for Windows and installed it. After I started the app, the sprite is normal, but after a few seconds, it's gone!

It repeats after I restarted the app. What can I do?

Guest16661
Scratcher
43 posts

when green flag clicked
create clone of [myself v]
when I start as a clone
create clone of [myself v]
delete this clone
Why does this crash scratch?
Guest16661
Scratcher
43 posts

tc2021jbp wrote:

Does anyone know how to fix this this problem because when I have 50-6.73 scratch says it equals 43.730000000000004 when it should be 43.73
<((50) - (6.73))=wrong answer>
It's 43.269999999999996 when it should be 43.27.
Also, it's because of floating point error in coding, which is too complicated for me to explain.
<((50) - (6.73)) = [43.27]>
ilovewolves4
Scratcher
1 post

I am trying to code moving wings but all it just does is lag, could someone help me fix it??
Lelam1
Scratcher
17 posts

I found a glitch that you cant login to scratch, but no-one reported you
Nyan_Cat262
Scratcher
1 post

Hello! just wondering, sometimes when I am working on a sprite, then I try to copy, it deletes everything that is not selected. Is anyone else experiencing this?
MeIon--
Scratcher
4 posts

CheeseyLeaves43 wrote:

Anybody else not get messages or get “Oops! Something went wrong!” when trying to comment? Cause both keep happening to me and my friends.
YES!
guymanwater
Scratcher
6 posts

When i share my project why does it say unsared?

Last edited by guymanwater (Dec. 6, 2023 06:13:04)

ClevelandTheChad27
Scratcher
1 post

I can't seem to acces the “My Stuff” page, but everything else works just fine! What's happening?!
Mslyla20
New to Scratch
1 post

My projects will not save and my students cannot put anything in their backpacks. We need this for the collaborative projects.
Music2Download
Scratcher
1 post

Hello,

My comments won't load what so ever, and when I try to upload a song it gets muted out entirely. With the music thing, is it a copyright issue where if Scratch detects a song made by a known artist they would mute it or is it an issue on my end? I'm hoping it's just that I'm not an Official Scratcher and not that Scratch mutes songs like that.
birdsarecutee
Scratcher
76 posts

D-ScratchNinja wrote:

Welcome to my Common Issues List. This contains the most often experienced issues in the Scratch website and software.

This topic lists some of the most common problems experienced by Scratchers.

You can search for bug reports by following the instructions on this topic from -InsanityGames-. My project linked below also contains descriptions of some specific bugs.

How to report an issue
Since this topic simply lists some of the most common issues, it's not meant as a place to file bug reports. If you have a bug to report, either look for a topic with your issue or go back to the topic list and create a new topic.

However, if you know of a commonly reported bug that affects a decent portion of the community, and you can provide enough details, you can reply to this topic, and I'll add the bug to the list of issues inside the project linked below and maybe this forum topic. Scroll to the bottom of the post for more information on that.

Thanks for reading through the above guide. Now you know how to get started!

Here are also some more lists that should get some credit for one or more reasons:
List of common bugs from current server work by GerekRulesGwof
From Major Glitches to Coding Errors by EatNYeet

If you didn't find your issue here, I have a project called Common Issues Answered with a lot more common issues I've collected and a studio containing solutions to common problems. Remember to check through it too.

But this topic should at least show the most relevant.

I can't find my project by searching or on the Explore page
There could be one of several reasons this is happening, but it is definitely amplified by the huge number of projects shared on Scratch. There seems to be a recurring issue causing the indexing system to not work as fast as we'd like, and it takes some time to index in general too, so don't expect your project to hop onto Search right away.

The Explore page is not top priority, the Scratch Team has limited resources, and upgrading servers can be expensive, so this issue might continue recurring for a few years.

If this issue is active right now, it might even take a couple of months for the Explore page to refresh again.

Also, there actually used to be a filter that removed results in other languages, but it was changed so that those projects always get the chance to show up, no matter what language you use.

Other than that, projects that the Scratch Team considers are not for everyone (NFE), which are projects that the Scratch Team aren't completely appropriate but don't break Scratch's rules, will not show up when searching.

Projects keep freezing up momentarily
There might be some programs checking the page to keep things safe, but the downside is it hits Scratch's performance a lot. Ask the people in charge of your work, school, or managed computer and they might be able to help. If your device is managed by you, try turning off programs that monitor things.

My project randomly got wiped or reverted when I reloaded/came back
This could be caused by another tab/device autosaving, a server issue, high traffic, or other issues that make the save fail in the background. That's why you always want to download your hard work with File › Save to your computer.

As to how to stop it happening, well… test on a brand new project and see if it still happens to know if you're good, try again later, close all tabs, or check parental controls or content filters.

I don't know that much about this issue, but I have had it happen a few times and probably for one reason or another, and for either a while or just once. Fortunately, I only lost minutes of work at a time.

Sometimes when I come back to a comment I posted, it's not there
That comment section may not have refreshed properly. Try posting another comment later.

Projects and/or blocks are very blurry
I can guess that there might have been some recent changes to how browsers render graphics. Use this topic by
-medians- for a discussion on block blurriness.

My project won't save
This issue has been seen many times across the community.

Right now, Scratch is having some issues saving projects reliably, resulting in many saves showing an error message. This also affects posting comments. If this is happening to you, you'll just have to keep trying again until it works.

Maybe one of your assets exceeded the 10 MB limit for individual files. First, check sounds you added before it stopped saving. Try re-importing them or converting them to a different format, or just straight up removing them and trying other sounds.

If that doesn't work, there are some other steps shown in my project.

I was muted for no reason
Technically, there is always a reason for setting off the filter, but you may not notice what's wrong with your comment or it may have thought that something looked potentially like a problem but was actually okay. No filter is 100% accurate, so if you've found an issue and want to report it, there's this topic.

Here are some common reasons you may get muted that
you might not know:
• Social media and communication apps - Many people try to share this info, and blocking social media names outright is a better solution to this.
• Browser extensions - This rule, announced in 2017, means that you cannot advertise these.
More

If you want to help out and add an answer to a problem that I didn't cover, just reply. Here's what info you can include:
  • A brief subject for the problem
  • the answer (the what, why, and hows of the issue)
  • a category for it (from my project)
  • and a forum topic regarding the issue
Remember, this is if you're reminding me about a common issue I haven't talked about yet, not any bug. If you have a lesser-known bug to report, create a topic.
i have a problem every time i look at my profile or some one else's it says comments loading but they never load and the what ive been doing section is blank when it shouldn't be and i also can not see any of my projects now for some reason

——————–>ˏˋⓑⓘⓡⓓⓢⓐⓡⓔⓒⓤⓣⓔⓔˊˎ- has left the chat
MabonBaladevaKain
Scratcher
100+ posts

The My Stuff page is broken. It is all whited out except the links on the left and those do not work at all when clicked.
Lots of people are having this issue apparently too. I can't access my unshared projects and that is where I do most
of my work and learning at. Is there any way to directly access my own unshared while logged in without need of the glitched blanked out My Stuff page?
miilki-
Scratcher
62 posts

MabonBaladevaKain wrote:

The My Stuff page is broken. It is all whited out except the links on the left and those do not work at all when clicked.
Lots of people are having this issue apparently too. I can't access my unshared projects and that is where I do most
of my work and learning at. Is there any way to directly access my own unshared while logged in without need of the glitched blanked out My Stuff page?
You can search for the project through your history.

★ she/they
addicted to sonic (and soda)
ADHD and social anxiety
Generation VIII (8): the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your sig in the scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment.
321wyett123
Scratcher
15 posts

I think this is just my computer, but every time since December 3rd (i think) when i try to open the “my stuff” thing on my school computer (that's faster than my home computer), even though I have 34 projects, it doesn't show any of them. (and clicking on the sorters or alternative button to see my stuff it still doesn't show it either). I would like to know if anyone knows how to fix it or not. resetting my computer doesn't work and refreshing the page doesn't work. it is beyond me how to fix this and I would be most grateful if anyone knows how to fix this. (also, the “quote” button doesn't work for me now. I am becoming mentally unstable )

Last edited by 321wyett123 (Dec. 9, 2023 22:04:07)