Discuss Scratch

J-man2
Scratcher
80 posts

Make Scratch Less Social Media-Like

I like Scratch for coding my own projects and seeing what I can do, and also seeing at what others have done, unfortunately Scratch is treated to be only a social media (ex. Facebook) which isn't good, all I'm asking is to somehow make Scratch less like a social media sight, not because the social part is bad because it's abused to be something terrible other than balanced conversations that aren't off-topic and/or annoying. Not to mention the fact that Scratch isn't meant to be a social media site to begin with.

to do this we probably should:

1. Remove being able to comment on profiles.

Reason: This place is where most socializing takes place, it's annoying and shouldn't be done on a website that wasn't made for that reason.

2.Also another problem is that there are to many of those annoying add-everything studios, so maybe to fix this have it where a studio can ask permission to put someone's game in their studio, if the creator of the game denies than nothing happens, if he accepts than the game gets put in the studio, and the creator can remove it from the studio anytime.

Reason: Having a game in a studio without permission could make some people mad, also add everything studios clutter and hide all the good studios.

I have nothing against the way Scratch is formatted or the people who abuse it, I think the way Scratch is formatted is abused to be like a social media, and the people who abuse it should go to a social media instead.

Supporters

<<J-man2> and <<<Cyoce> and <<<RandomPerson1789> and <<<Dave2075> and <<<AonymousGuy> and <<<Techno-CAT> >> >> >> >> >>  

<<OmnipotentPotato> and <<<mastermind1201> and <<<samanyolu> and <<<SupremeAdminThok> and <<<Teanaway> >> >> >> >>

Whew, that's a lot!

It seems people are hating on me because they disagree with my opinions, this is a free website where any opinions can be presented, if you disagree with my opinions don't be rude about it, just state why you disagree, there's no need for insulting me or others.

Last edited by J-man2 (Feb. 21, 2015 02:16:17)

Space Breach is my featured project. Do you agree Scratch being treated like a social media is bad? Go here.

when green flag clicked
repeat until <(Scratch) = [False ]>
Make awesome projects
end
Iditaroid
Scratcher
500+ posts

Please use more respectful language on this childrens website, these are little people here and calling them “pathetic” is terrible :'(
Also following users helps me discover new things i might not have seen before thru the activity feed and the different project feeds

No support!

Zro716
Scratcher
1000+ posts

that's an extreme way of thinking you have. Scratch is hardly like a social media, it's the people that treat it like one that ought to change (and not just younger kids, there are teens who take it as twitter also). the only way we can truly make Scratch social-media-free is to remove everything except qualified projects (and by qualified, I mean no chat rooms, no “updates”, no user info, no basic “make the cat jump” projects, etc…), and that would leave us with a very hollow Scratch website.

so the point here is that Scratch is fine. we're here to learn, and every bit of code helps to achieve that, even if it's so basic your pet dog/cat/whatever could make it (no offense to anyone).

so about your second idea: I agree with you that we should grant permission to have our projects added to studios, but in the context you gave it would mean we would be bombarded with requests every day.

so I thought of a compromise that could work: blacklist studios from your projects (or really, blacklisting your projects from studios). basically, you go to a studio and there'll be a checkbox in the studio that says “Disallow this studio from adding your projects”, and when you check it the members of that studio can no longer add your projects to it until you uncheck the box. this way you aren't swarmed in messages and you gain control over what studios can add your projects.

I should probably make a separate topic for that…

As a long time Scratcher, I have found new meaning to the name “Scratch”: for me, it means to “scratch that itch”, to come back again and again to realize new ideas in this toy language, even when I'm capable of creating my projects in real programming languages years later. It's a friend that helped me to pursue programming and get me to enjoy its fruit. I'm certain many others who have walked this path as well have grown fond of its importance in their life.
theonlygusti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

No Support.

I love Scratch just the way it is:
  1. Commenting on projects is a great way of receiving feedback.
  2. Commenting on profiles allows people to congratulate a user on how amazing they are.
  3. The forums are brilliant for allowing users to share ideas, achievements and ask for help.
I think having this super social side of Scratch is amazing.

TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

theonlygusti wrote:

No Support.

2. Commenting on profiles allows people to congratulate a user on how amazing they are.
  3. The forums are brilliant for allowing users to share ideas, achievements and ask for help.

As per theonlygusti.

Deerleg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

TheHockeyist wrote:

theonlygusti wrote:

No Support.

As per theonlygusti.
I agree!

RandomPerson1789
Scratcher
100+ posts

Support
See my siggy, it explains why I support
J-man2
Scratcher
80 posts

@Iditaroid I was saying how people TREAT scratch was pathetic, kids aren't pathetic, no one is pathetic, and I think agree that you can find cool things by following, but people treat it like twitter or facebook, not to mention people have no coding interests and are on scratch for the social part, so limiting the amount of social media like stuff would take these people away and give them to stuff like twitter and facebook, we don't need those people on scratch because, no offence to them, it ruins the community, I have nothing against these people but they should go on a social media instead of scratch. Also, maybe this is just me, but I would not consider “pathetic” in any way a swear word.

Last edited by J-man2 (Oct. 18, 2014 03:46:09)

Space Breach is my featured project. Do you agree Scratch being treated like a social media is bad? Go here.

when green flag clicked
Make awesome projects
end
J-man2
Scratcher
80 posts

Zro716 wrote:

that's an extreme way of thinking you have. Scratch is hardly like a social media, it's the people that treat it like one that ought to change (and not just younger kids, there are teens who take it as twitter also). the only way we can truly make Scratch social-media-free is to remove everything except qualified projects (and by qualified, I mean no chat rooms, no “updates”, no user info, no basic “make the cat jump” projects, etc…), and that would leave us with a very hollow Scratch website.

so the point here is that Scratch is fine. we're here to learn, and every bit of code helps to achieve that, even if it's so basic your pet dog/cat/whatever could make it (no offense to anyone).

so about your second idea: I agree with you that we should grant permission to have our projects added to studios, but in the context you gave it would mean we would be bombarded with requests every day.

so I thought of a compromise that could work: blacklist studios from your projects (or really, blacklisting your projects from studios). basically, you go to a studio and there'll be a checkbox in the studio that says “Disallow this studio from adding your projects”, and when you check it the members of that studio can no longer add your projects to it until you uncheck the box. this way you aren't swarmed in messages and you gain control over what studios can add your projects.

I should probably make a separate topic for that…

I never said to remove simple projects….

when green flag clicked
Make awesome projects
end
J-man2
Scratcher
80 posts

theonlygusti wrote:

No Support.

I think it's great to, but people abuse it and make it into a social media.

when green flag clicked
Make awesome projects
end
cheddargirl
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

The title you have on this website.

J-man2 wrote:

I like Scratch for coding my own projects and seeing what I can do, and also seeing at what others have done, unfortunately Scratch is treated like a social media which is utterly pathetic, some people make one project but besides that they don't do anything with projects or code, pathetic, all I'm asking is to somehow make Scratch less like a social media and more like a easy coding tool where you can share what you've done, to do this we probably should remove following and being able to comment on profiles.
We have seen Scratch being used like as a purely social media site (mind you this has been happening waaaaaayyyyyyyy long before the release of Scratch 2.0). We've seen it often peak around the school season where students use it as a way to chat or use it as Facebook-esque (though I must mention it just so happens we're not the only site affected by this kind of malady - most other websites that have any sort of comment function are often abused this way, too). We do sometimes block users who we see chatting (or worse-case scenario, block the school network when we see all the students chatting), so in a sense enforcing the idea of “making Scratch less social-media like” is already in place….

…. That being said: Don't jump to bad conclusions on the accounts that have only one or no projects! Not everyone dives into making Scratch projects every few weeks or so, and some of our user don't share projects but just use the account to get access to Scratch resources (such as getting help with scripting, for example) or play projects and give feedback. There's no need to group them in with users who misuse our site as (nor is it nice to call users who misuse our site as pathetic, but that in itself is off-topic).

Sadly, my forum signature was eaten by an evil kumquat.
20btheilmanngohr
Scratcher
100+ posts

J-man2 wrote:

I like Scratch for coding my own projects and seeing what I can do, and also seeing at what others have done, unfortunately Scratch is treated like a social media which is utterly pathetic, some people make one project but besides that they don't do anything with projects or code, pathetic,
Ok, so I might agree with you there. There are some users who do this, but hey! Those users are just having fun.

J-man2 wrote:

All I'm asking is to somehow make Scratch less like a social media and more like a easy coding tool where you can share what you've done, to do this we probably should remove following and being able to comment on profiles.
No. Just no. Although it can get a bit annoying when there are users who only follow people, following is used to identify your friends. There should just be a 3-follower per day limit. As for commenting on profiles, and commenting on other things, there should just be a limit, like the forums.

J-man2 wrote:

Also another problem is that there are to many of those annoying add-everything studios, so maybe to fix this have it where a studio can ask permission to put someone's game in their studio, if the creator of the game denies than nothing happens, if he accepts than the game gets put in the studio, and the creator can remove it from the studio anytime.
Definitely add that feature. By the way, I wouldn't say anything negative about AE; it'll fuel the AE war.

With 2-1, no support.

You can visit my profile here.

when green flag clicked ::category operators
display [link v] [http://scratch.mit.edu/users/20btheilmanngohr/] ::extension
display [text v] [20btheilmanngohr] ::extension
display [text v] [always striving for excellence!] ::extension

mathfreak231
Scratcher
1000+ posts

As per Zro's first sentence.

i have grown as a person. and ive grown, literally. none of my posts from before 2022 represent me accurately.
gregory9
Scratcher
100+ posts

J-man2 wrote:

I like Scratch for coding my own projects and seeing what I can do, and also seeing at what others have done, unfortunately Scratch is treated like a social media which is utterly pathetic, some people make one project but besides that they don't do anything with projects or code, pathetic, all I'm asking is to somehow make Scratch less like a social media and more like a easy coding tool where you can share what you've done.

1.To do this we probably should remove following
2. and being able to comment on profiles.
3. Also another problem is that there are to many of those annoying add-everything studios, so maybe to fix this have it where a studio can ask permission to put someone's game in their studio, if the creator of the game denies than nothing happens, if he accepts than the game gets put in the studio, and the creator can remove it from the studio anytime.

I have nothing against the way Scratch is formatted or the people who abuse it, I think the way Scratch is formatted is abused to be like a social media, and the people who abuse it should go to a social media.

Supporters

<<J-man2> and <<<Cyoce> and <RandomPerson1789>> >>
I reformatted the quote for convenience.
1.no support because that allows people to get updates when someone shares a project
2.no support It is very useful for collaborations
3.suppport

Use DuckDuckGo instead of Google, Bing, or Yahoo

Check out Coursacado, and SBX Share!

I am gw90 on GitHub
turkey3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The way I think of it is that Scratch has such a diverse amount of activities, from coding to chatting and artwork, that I find it to be an all-around place to go for nearly every bit of fun.

Wow that could be quoted on front page.

J-man2
Scratcher
80 posts

turkey3 wrote:

The way I think of it is that Scratch has such a diverse amount of activities, from coding to chatting and artwork, that I find it to be an all-around place to go for nearly every bit of fun.

Wow that could be quoted on front page.

The main point of scratch originally is a education tool to teach people (of all ages) how to solve problems, I agree with artwork, but chat stays on actual social medias, or at least it should.

when green flag clicked
Make awesome projects
end
J-man2
Scratcher
80 posts

gregory9 wrote:

J-man2 wrote:

I like Scratch for coding my own projects and seeing what I can do, and also seeing at what others have done, unfortunately Scratch is treated like a social media which is utterly pathetic, some people make one project but besides that they don't do anything with projects or code, pathetic, all I'm asking is to somehow make Scratch less like a social media and more like a easy coding tool where you can share what you've done.

1.To do this we probably should remove following
2. and being able to comment on profiles.
3. Also another problem is that there are to many of those annoying add-everything studios, so maybe to fix this have it where a studio can ask permission to put someone's game in their studio, if the creator of the game denies than nothing happens, if he accepts than the game gets put in the studio, and the creator can remove it from the studio anytime.

I have nothing against the way Scratch is formatted or the people who abuse it, I think the way Scratch is formatted is abused to be like a social media, and the people who abuse it should go to a social media.

Supporters

<<J-man2> and <<<Cyoce> and <RandomPerson1789>> >>
I reformatted the quote for convenience.
1.no support because that allows people to get updates when someone shares a project
2.no support It is very useful for collaborations
3.suppport

im confused if I should add you as a supporter or not…. plz say if you want to be one.

when green flag clicked
Make awesome projects
end
J-man2
Scratcher
80 posts

cheddargirl wrote:

The title you have on this website.

J-man2 wrote:

I like Scratch for coding my own projects and seeing what I can do, and also seeing at what others have done, unfortunately Scratch is treated like a social media which is utterly pathetic, some people make one project but besides that they don't do anything with projects or code, pathetic, all I'm asking is to somehow make Scratch less like a social media and more like a easy coding tool where you can share what you've done, to do this we probably should remove following and being able to comment on profiles.
We have seen Scratch being used like as a purely social media site (mind you this has been happening waaaaaayyyyyyyy long before the release of Scratch 2.0). We've seen it often peak around the school season where students use it as a way to chat or use it as Facebook-esque (though I must mention it just so happens we're not the only site affected by this kind of malady - most other websites that have any sort of comment function are often abused this way, too). We do sometimes block users who we see chatting (or worse-case scenario, block the school network when we see all the students chatting), so in a sense enforcing the idea of “making Scratch less social-media like” is already in place….

…. That being said: Don't jump to bad conclusions on the accounts that have only one or no projects! Not everyone dives into making Scratch projects every few weeks or so, and some of our user don't share projects but just use the account to get access to Scratch resources (such as getting help with scripting, for example) or play projects and give feedback. There's no need to group them in with users who misuse our site as (nor is it nice to call users who misuse our site as pathetic, but that in itself is off-topic).

I don't think the people are pathetic, I think the way they're treating the site is pathetic, I would never, ever call someone pathetic on the internet, and I only hold something against social media crud, not small users who have little to no projects, speaking of which I should probably word that differently on the OP.

when green flag clicked
Make awesome projects
end
LimitedImagination
Scratcher
100+ posts

No support, on my old account I made several great friends on scratch.