Discuss Scratch

OmnipotentPotato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

--->"How do I join the Scratch Team?" You might be disappointed... <---

__init__ wrote:

OmnipotentPotato wrote:

I don't think the 18+ rule is very fair. If you're just volunteering your time to help Scratch, why should they care if your 2 as long as you know what you're doing?
I don't think there's anyone who's 2 and knows what they're doing
Yeah, I was just using that as an absurd example. Point being that they shouldn't care. Anyways, this is pretty old and I sort of agree with the rule now that I realize it is considered a real job.
HappyLamb12345
Scratcher
26 posts

darn it im like about 9 years younger than 18
Rumanti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

HappyLamb12345 wrote:

That means you still have 9 years to learn programming etc, so you have bigger chance of joining the Scratch Team than older peoples who have the same programming experience as you. :-)

:wq
KrIsMa
Scratcher
100+ posts

Rumanti wrote:

HappyLamb12345 wrote:

That means you still have 9 years to learn programming etc, so you have bigger chance of joining the Scratch Team than older peoples who have the same programming experience as you. :-)

good way of thinking about that!
yeah! 9 years to learn programming is a lot (maybe you'll pick up some interesting/hard programming languages, too!)

Fellow Wikian.
Marshymarsh
Scratcher
100+ posts

colorfulrainbow12 wrote:

I've always wanted to join the scratch team, but even if I was 18+ (and I'm nowhere near it) I wouldn't be able to because I live in the UK.
It's 10 years for me

Click here for my profile
http://scratch.mit.edu/users/Marshymarsh

Hi there! My name is Marshymarsh, I have a second account (find it yourself, lol) and I….um………I'm scared (bloop)
Anyways, I joined this land of dreams a month ago, and I already have done a lot! I made a life simulator and stuff.
Marshymarsh
Scratcher
100+ posts

mathfreak231 wrote:

Has being on the Scratch Team been your lifelong dream? You may have to wait a little longer. Here are some of the requirements for joining the Scratch Team:
  • Must be 18 or older
  • For some jobs, must be able to commute to the MIT Media Lab @ Cambridge, MA
Also, the jobs they have open right now all have to do with advanced programming, so you'd better know your stuff.

Sorry if this let you down, but maybe it's be a great job opportunity when you grow up!
Scratch will probably be dead before I turn 20…..

Click here for my profile
http://scratch.mit.edu/users/Marshymarsh

Hi there! My name is Marshymarsh, I have a second account (find it yourself, lol) and I….um………I'm scared (bloop)
Anyways, I joined this land of dreams a month ago, and I already have done a lot! I made a life simulator and stuff.
Molly3595
Scratcher
6 posts

Alright….I understand the 18+ rule but it wouldn't be fair if we grew up to be 18+ and still play scratch (It could happen) but can't change are age on scratch!
PrincessPanda_test_
Scratcher
1000+ posts

You're right about the programming jobs part.

TheMatrixKid
Scratcher
100+ posts

Odd..I thought anyone could volunteer and I'm pretty sure that the Scratch Team is nonforprofit.

I'm a CDR! Born under CONSes!
cheddargirl
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

TheMatrixKid wrote:

Odd..I thought anyone could volunteer and I'm pretty sure that the Scratch Team is nonforprofit.
We are nonprofit (after all, we do give Scratch out for free!).

There are some positions that are volunteer-based, but those are usually other positions along the site (such as being part of the Scratch Wiki staff, or a manager of a major studio such as Scratch Design Studio or Scratch Welcoming Committee, for example). It's only the Scratch Team positions are paying - after all, they end up usually being tougher and more demanding.

Sadly, my forum signature was eaten by an evil kumquat.
TheMatrixKid
Scratcher
100+ posts

cheddargirl wrote:

TheMatrixKid wrote:

We are nonprofit (after all, we do give Scratch out for free!).

There are some positions that are volunteer-based, but those are usually other positions along the site (such as being part of the Scratch Wiki staff, or a manager of a major studio such as Scratch Design Studio or Scratch Welcoming Committee, for example). It's only the Scratch Team positions are paying - after all, they end up usually being tougher and more demanding.

Thanks for the clarification.

mazin_hamsters
Scratcher
36 posts

The 18+ rule isn't fair! I want to be with the scratch team! I want to be with the scratch team now!
Soundmotion
New to Scratch
16 posts

mazin_hamsters wrote:

The 18+ rule isn't fair! I want to be with the scratch team! I want to be with the scratch team now!
The Scratch Team has to deal with some very mature things that you can't legally view until you are 18+ anyway.
CosmicHamster
Scratcher
100+ posts

Well, I might as well start my Scratch Team training.

I'm just a little cosmic hamster from Planet NO, which is in another dimension. Are you, too?
(I'm also a forum lurker…)
#PrayForParis
Check out my games, if you want to. I make sure to share a cool variety, but even though I haven't shared much, I try to make each one count, but they can only count to 7 so far.

Coins ~ Ninety Degrees ~ Spiked Walls ~ Colourz ~ Bubble Popper ~ Candy Thief ~ Gameplace
The_Scratch_Squad
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Soundmotion wrote:

mazin_hamsters wrote:

The Scratch Team has to deal with some very mature things that you can't legally view until you are 18+ anyway.

Good point.

REMEMBER! Clicky That Sticky AND Read it Carefully before making new topics.
Get the Worlds Fails on Math!!!
friendship2468
Scratcher
100+ posts

Marshymarsh wrote:

colorfulrainbow12 wrote:

I've always wanted to join the scratch team, but even if I was 18+ (and I'm nowhere near it) I wouldn't be able to because I live in the UK.
It's 10 years for me
Me too I'm 8

I love HARRRYYYYY POTTTEEERRRR
I am LGBT, panromantic
I code on my iPad mostly
Melanie
popcorn62
Scratcher
9 posts

friendship2468 wrote:

Marshymarsh wrote:

colorfulrainbow12 wrote:

It's 10 years for me
Me too I'm 8
Me to
getbent
Scratcher
500+ posts

I'm only 12

┠ ᎶεᎿъεהե ┥
➲ Longtime Scratcher, coder and optimist
➲ Helps out in the forums, the SDS, and rest of the Scratch community
➲ New to Scratch? Ask me any questions you may have!

Check out my latest project!
TheMatrixKid
Scratcher
100+ posts

Hahaha! 13! :p

PrincessPanda_test_
Scratcher
1000+ posts

OmnipotentPotato wrote:

I don't think the 18+ rule is very fair. If you're just volunteering your time to help Scratch, why should they care if your 2 as long as you know what you're doing?
Lol
If that was allowed, there will be so much babies wandering around the lab crying and chewing on computer mouses mice.

Last edited by PrincessPanda_test_ (May 24, 2015 14:12:06)