Discuss Scratch

Sonic1012
Scratcher
51 posts

Scratch is featured in 'Hour of Code', Dec. 9 - 15

good news and bad news this is the bad news and the good news is Scratch is almost full with kids

Hai, Im sonic1012, a guy that makes projects and nobody sees them, and goes and watchs my beat up mario
technoboy10
Scratcher
1000+ posts

So awesome!

trans rights are human rights
ErnieParke
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I'm excited a lot about this! Mainly that's there's an Hour of Code and a great effort to boost people into CS, but also that Scratch is featured and really will be growing in the next couple of days. I'm expecting a activity as new Scratchers are trying to get in scope with Scratch. :)

natalie wrote:

EH7meow wrote:

Great! Will this also mean that we won't be able to welcome people on the Welcoming Committee at peak hours because of commenting being disabled?

Good question! Hopefully commenting won't have to be disabled so that the Welcoming Committee can stay active! If it is, perhaps changing project notes to explain and welcome them to come back–what do you think?

That would be good solution only for the SWC, but there are lots of other studios out there. I think a message like Turkey3 (Edit: EH7meow) suggested would be good. Kind of like the pop up message that Cloud Data gives, or an announcement in the forums.

My thoughts,

ErnieParke

Last edited by ErnieParke (Dec. 7, 2013 00:49:44)

sportsdude6
Scratcher
100+ posts

sportsdude6 wrote:

Awesome! Is there a specific way I can reach out and meet these scratchers?

CLICK IT NAO

GOLDEN GAMER INC.
darkness3560
Scratcher
100+ posts

fdreerf wrote:

I've seen you added a “Holiday” theme, but why is there nothing there?
You need to clear your cache.
turkey3_test
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ErnieParke wrote:

I'm excited a lot about this! Mainly that's there's an Hour of Code and a great effort to boost people into CS, but also that Scratch is featured and really will be growing in the next couple of days. I'm expecting a activity as new Scratchers are trying to get in scope with Scratch. :)

natalie wrote:

EH7meow wrote:

Great! Will this also mean that we won't be able to welcome people on the Welcoming Committee at peak hours because of commenting being disabled?

Good question! Hopefully commenting won't have to be disabled so that the Welcoming Committee can stay active! If it is, perhaps changing project notes to explain and welcome them to come back–what do you think?

That would be good solution only for the SWC, but there are lots of other studios out there. I think a message like Turkey3 suggested would be good. Kind of like the pop up message that Cloud Data gives, or an announcement in the forums.

My thoughts,

ErnieParke
??? I never suggested anything or my suggestions just that pristine that you assumed it was mine?

Last edited by turkey3_test (Dec. 7, 2013 00:41:03)

ErnieParke
Scratcher
1000+ posts

turkey3_test wrote:

ErnieParke wrote:

natalie wrote:

EH7meow wrote:

That would be good solution only for the SWC, but there are lots of other studios out there. I think a message like Turkey3 suggested would be good. Kind of like the pop up message that Cloud Data gives, or an announcement in the forums.

My thoughts,

ErnieParke
??? I never suggested anything or my suggestions just that pristine that you assumed it was mine?
Neither; an alien from Mars called Turkey3 walked up to me and game me the suggestion. There was also Ham3, Chicken3, RoastBeef3, and many others. I think Earth is going to be invaded one day by sandwhiches.

In truth, (and back on topic), the suggestion was from EH7meow. So thanks for pointing that out! I'm off to fix it…

Off to it,

ErnieParke

Last edited by ErnieParke (Dec. 7, 2013 00:48:38)

mario91100
Scratcher
500+ posts

Lightnin wrote:

Scratch is being featured as part of Hour of Code, an initiative to encourage students and teachers to try coding for the first time. We're expecting thousands of people new to Scratch, especially December 9 to 15. You can help by welcoming and answering questions from new Scratchers!

My teacher talked about Hour of Code in my electronics class at my school today. Sounds like fun! db

Lightnin wrote:

Also, try out the create a greeting card tutorial we made for Hour of Code. We've added new holiday images you can use in a card–or add your own. When you're finished, add your project to the Hour of Code studio here: http://scratch.mit.edu/studios/279432/

I was actually going to do that! Probably after I take a quick break for a few hours.

Lightnin wrote:

Having thousands of new users trying out Scratch all at once may put some strain on our servers. As a result, we may need to temporarily disable some features: search will get diverted to google search, and the explore page may be disabled. If we absolutely have to, we may disable commenting and forum posts during peak hours. If we do have to turn features off, once the load eases up we'll turn everything back on again - don't worry.

Scratch On!

Reaction to new users; *indifference* Well, at least a whole group of Scratchers will be quickly available to make projects with! This is actually a pretty big chance for a collab within a group of New Scratchers.

Reaction to disabling commenting/ forum posting occasionally; http://nooooooooooooooo.com

Well, anyway, sounds like a whole load of fun!
Azekeh
Scratcher
13 posts

YYY
ikes!!!!!
crazyelephant123
Scratcher
3 posts

Not working. The video keeps glitching and stopping. Please help.

say [PLEASE help. Or can I watch it somewhere else?] for (2) secs
ErnieParke
Scratcher
1000+ posts

@ilovemariokart:
Could you not post so much random scratchblocks? It can be considered spam.

crazyelephant123 wrote:

Not working. The video keeps glitching and stopping. Please help.

say [PLEASE help. Or can I watch it somewhere else?] for (2) secs
It depends on how you coded your video. Could you either show your project or code?

Asking,

ErnieParke

xlk
Scratcher
100+ posts

Have cloud variables been disabled?

Deerleg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Good, but wouldn't the new people be surprised when we switch back to normal features?

pikachew5
New to Scratch
2 posts

The more scratchers, the better! The more pokemon, the more I can catch!
pikachew5
New to Scratch
2 posts

I belive the beginers would not know how to make holiday cards, so woulden't it nit be better if scratch offered a tutorial?
turkey3_test
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ErnieParke wrote:

turkey3_test wrote:

ErnieParke wrote:

natalie wrote:

EH7meow wrote:

My thoughts,

ErnieParke
Neither; an alien from Mars called Turkey3 walked up to me and game me the suggestion. There was also Ham3, Chicken3, RoastBeef3, and many others. I think Earth is going to be invaded one day by sandwhiches.

In truth, (and back on topic), the suggestion was from EH7meow. So thanks for pointing that out! I'm off to fix it…

Off to it,

ErnieParke
It's funny because on the Wiki you recently mistook me for EH7meow.

young112aj
New to Scratch
1 post

JUST NOT NORMAL
natalie
Scratch Team
100+ posts

fdreerf wrote:

I've seen you added a “Holiday” theme, but why is there nothing there?

Oh, if your Holiday theme is blank, empty your browser's cache and they should appear!
TheCybopTwins
Scratcher
2 posts

when green flag clicked
say [YAY!!!!!!!!!] for (5) secs

when green flag clicked
forever
Eat (WeeGee) and <Bombs>
LiFaytheGoblin
Forum Moderator
1000+ posts

Awesomeeee!!! I would love to create an online-hour-of-code via Skype but I have so much schoolwork to do It's such a pity.

Deutsch, English, Français, Español, Nederlands
DACH Scratch WikiEN Scratch WikiAll Scratch WikisA Scratch Wiki in your native language