Discuss Scratch

liam48D
Scratcher
1000+ posts

•••••SCRATCH SCHOOL•••••

say [Hi, I'm liam48D!]
say [Here I teach...]
teach [boring stuff v] // WHAT? NO WAY!
teach [annoying stuff v] // Oh come on. Give me the block I need...
teach [EPIC STUFF!!! v] // THERE we go!
say [Upon becoming a student, you must be available when school periods start.]
say [If you are a member of this school, be sure to follow the post!]
say [That way you will get notified if there are any new periods!]

repeat until ( (likes) = (Infinity)
say [People who Liked:]
say [liam48D]
say [wbpx9201]
say [FlippyCatFan]
end
repeat until ( (dislikes) = ( (Infinity) * (-1) )
say [People who Disliked:]
end
forever
if <news posted>
say [The most recent news is..]
say [Added how advanced you are in the blocks - please make a post on how advanced you are if you already joined! (0 - 100)]
end
end

say [Here are the teachers...]

// All 'it's will get a gender when they fill out the submission sheet.
add [teacher v] name: [liam48D] job: [Head teacher, programming teacher] gender: [boy v] advanced: (65)
add [teacher v] name: [lilifant7253] job: [First teacher to ask to join, programming teacher] gender: [girl v] advanced: (65)
add [teacher v] name: [FalconGunner99] job: [Art teacher (Bitmap)] gender: [boy v] advanced: ()
add [teacher v] name: [wbpx9201] job: [Art teacher (Vector)] gender: [boy v] advanced: ()
add [teacher v] name: [FlippyCatFan] job: [Programming teacher] gender: [boy v] advanced: (67)
add [teacher v] name: [landrover110] job: [Forum Usage teacher] gender: [boy v] advanced: ()
add [teacher v] name: [SuperCrazy246] job: [Programming teacher] gender: [boy v] advanced: ()
add [teacher v] name: [NONE!] job: [More programming teacher] schedule: [who knows?] gender: [it v] advanced: ()

say [Here are the students...]

add [student v] name: [Scriptic] gender: [girl v] advanced: ()
add [student v] name: [Shadow_Ray] gender: [girl v] advanced: ()
add [student v] name: [scratchmatch12345] gender: [boy v] advanced: ()
add [student v] name: [crystalbeastpikachu] gender: [boy v] advanced: ()
add [student v] name: [minecraftermaster] gender: [boy v] advanced: ()
add [student v] name: [logan1313] gender: [boy v] advanced: (45)
add [student v] name: [carrieunderwood1123] gender: [girl v] advanced: ()
add [student v] name: [Spunky_Sam] gender: [boy v] advanced: ()
add [student v] name: [car1car1234] gender: [boy v] advanced: ()
add [student v] name: [extramarks] gender: [girl v] advanced: ()
add [student v] name: [Tux1] gender: [boy v] advanced: ()
add [student v] name: [NONE!] gender: [it v] advanced: ()

STUDENT SUBMISSION SHEET
1. Do you promise to be kind and not to hurt anybody in anyway? (This includes saying stuff like “Wow. Just wow. Your work is TERRIBLE!”)
2. Do you promise to try your best to do the best work you can?
3. Do you promise to share your work with others, and to help everybody learn Scratch?
IF YOU DO:
Answer these questions:
1. Are you a boy or girl?
2. Repeat after me: “I promise to be kind and not to hurt anybody in anyway. I promise to try my best and do the best work I can. I promise to share my work with others, and to help everybody learn Scratch.”
3. Please submit how advanced you are! This is from 1 - 100, where 1 is just joined and don't know anything, 100 is the most advanced scratcher I've ever seen!

TEACHER SUBMISSION SHEET
1. Do you promise to be kind and not to hurt anybody in anyway? (If your student gets an “F” or “D”…)
2. Do you promise to try your best to do the best teaching you can?
3. Do you promise to share your work with others, and to help everybody learn Scratch? (…try to help them!)
IF YOU DO:
Answer these questions:
1. What will your job be?
2. Are you a boy or a girl?
3. Repeat after me: "I promise to be kind and not to hurt anybody in anyway. I promise to do the best teaching I can. I promise to share my work with others and help everybody learn Scratch. And I promise to help Scratchers who need help!
4. Please post how advanced you are, on a scale from 1 to 100!

Studio URL: scratch.mit.edu/studios/255839/projects/

if <you think this is awesome>:
if <you think you can follow all the rules>:
if <you still think its awesome>:
JOIN!
HAPPY LEARNING!

Last edited by liam48D (Oct. 19, 2013 15:35:31)

202e-202e-202e-202e-202e UNI-CODE~~~~~
liam48D
Scratcher
1000+ posts

•••••SCRATCH SCHOOL•••••

Sigh. I WOULD have made an assignment half an hour ago, but there are no students yet…

Scriptic
Scratcher
1 post

•••••SCRATCH SCHOOL•••••

1) I am female.
2)I promise to be kind and not to hurt anybody in anyway. I promise to try my best and do the best work I can. I promise to share my work with others, and to help everybody learn Scratch.
liam48D
Scratcher
1000+ posts

•••••SCRATCH SCHOOL•••••

Scriptic wrote:

1) I am female.
2)I promise to be kind and not to hurt anybody in anyway. I promise to try my best and do the best work I can. I promise to share my work with others, and to help everybody learn Scratch.
Awesome! See you in a couple hours!

liam48D
Scratcher
1000+ posts

•••••SCRATCH SCHOOL•••••

Last edited by liam48D (Sept. 27, 2013 08:40:38)

liam48D
Scratcher
1000+ posts

•••••SCRATCH SCHOOL•••••

Anybody here? Its Day 1 Session 1! I'm on of your programming teachers, and today we will learn about the block…
 move (10) steps 

Last edited by liam48D (Sept. 27, 2013 10:08:19)

liam48D
Scratcher
1000+ posts

•••••SCRATCH SCHOOL•••••

Do you have any questions about the block move 10 steps? Well, your questions will be answered! Please open the scratch editor. To open it, then there are 2 ways…

1: ONLINE EDITOR:
• Step 1: Right-click the button “create” on the top of the screen.
• Step 2: Click “Open in new tab”.

2: OFFLINE EDITOR:
• Step 1: Open finder or whichever search tool you use for your computer.
• Step 2: Search “Scratch 2” (its an app)
• Step 3: Click the application that it showed you!

liam48D
Scratcher
1000+ posts

•••••SCRATCH SCHOOL•••••

Well, I'm guessing that if anybody is doing this now, they've opened their Scratch editor. Hmm.. IS anybody doing this? Anyways, lets continue.

You know how you have your sprite called ‘Sprite1’? He looks like a cat. Well, make sure you are in the scripts tab, and that you have the Motion block category selected. If you do, continue.

Scroll down the collection of blue motion blocks. You should see a round blue block called ‘x position’, with a checkbox beside it. Well, click the checkbox.

A grey box should appear on the screen which says “Sprite1 x position” then “0” highlighted in blue. If you do, great job! Well, the next step is to go back up to the top of the motion block category, and click the block ‘move 10 steps’.

liam48D
Scratcher
1000+ posts

•••••SCRATCH SCHOOL•••••

Well, if you did the previous steps, than the x position box should have increased by 10! It should now say ‘10’ instead of ‘0’. Plus, Sprite1 moved a little bit too! Awesome!

So that is pretty cool. But it isn't at all interactive. What we will do is make it so that we can rotate and move too! Click the Events category. It is brown.

Now we will make our first script!!! Drag the block called…
when [space v] key pressed
into your script area. Bring in 2 more of the same block! Then, click on the box inside each of the 2 others. Set them to ‘left arrow’ and ‘right arrow’.
when [left arrow v] key pressed
when [right arrow v] key pressed
Great job, if it worked!

liam48D
Scratcher
1000+ posts

•••••SCRATCH SCHOOL•••••

Go back to the motion section. Drag the..
 turn right (15) degrees 
block onto the
so that it makes
turn left (15) degrees
And drag the counter-clockwise turning block onto the left-key block, so that it makes..
 when [left arrow v] key pressed
turn right (15) degrees

Last edited by liam48D (Sept. 27, 2013 10:48:18)

liam48D
Scratcher
1000+ posts

•••••SCRATCH SCHOOL•••••

Last step! Drag the
move (10) steps
onto the
so that it makes
move (10) steps
Now to test…

Last edited by liam48D (Sept. 27, 2013 10:47:58)

liam48D
Scratcher
1000+ posts

•••••SCRATCH SCHOOL•••••

Try pressing the left and right arrow keys! They should turn your cat. Then press the space key. They should turn him.

liam48D
Scratcher
1000+ posts

•••••SCRATCH SCHOOL•••••

OK, but how does it work? Well, when you press the left or right keys, it rotates him because it activates the turning blocks. And when you press space, it moves him 10 steps, because it activated the move steps button! Sound good?

liam48D
Scratcher
1000+ posts

•••••SCRATCH SCHOOL•••••

Here's your homework (lol, yeah I had to give you some. Don't worry, its not hard. )
HOMEWORK:
Try experimenting with the blocks we used today! Maybe change the numbers, or or make them move with different keys!
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/12722803/

Shadow_Ray
New to Scratch
1 post

•••••SCRATCH SCHOOL•••••

I want to join as a student, girl. I promise to be kind and not to hurt anybody in anyway. I promise to try my best and do the best work I can. I promise to share my work with others, and to help everybody learn Scratch.
liam48D
Scratcher
1000+ posts

•••••SCRATCH SCHOOL•••••

Shadow_Ray wrote:

I want to join as a student, girl. I promise to be kind and not to hurt anybody in anyway. I promise to try my best and do the best work I can. I promise to share my work with others, and to help everybody learn Scratch.
Sounds good! I'll add you to the students list. Also, Scriptic is the other of our current only students, and lilifant7353 is our other teacher. Happy learning!

wbpx9201
Scratcher
100+ posts

•••••SCRATCH SCHOOL•••••

I really like the idea of this, so I would like to become a teacher.
1. What will your job be? You already have 2 programming teachers, so I can be a Vector Art Teacher.
2. What will your schedule be? 4:30 Melbourne Time
3. Are you a boy or a girl? Boy
I promise to be kind and not to hurt anybody in anyway. I promise to do the best teaching I can. I promise to share my work with others and help everybody learn Scratch. And I promise to help Scratchers who need help!

liam48D
Scratcher
1000+ posts

•••••SCRATCH SCHOOL•••••

wbpx9201 wrote:

I really like the idea of this, so I would like to become a teacher.
1. What will your job be? You already have 2 programming teachers, so I can be a Vector Art Teacher.
2. What will your schedule be? 4:30 Melbourne Time
3. Are you a boy or a girl? Boy
I promise to be kind and not to hurt anybody in anyway. I promise to do the best teaching I can. I promise to share my work with others and help everybody learn Scratch. And I promise to help Scratchers who need help!
Awesome! Now I just have to figure out what time that is in eastern Canada…

liam48D
Scratcher
1000+ posts

•••••SCRATCH SCHOOL•••••

Uhh, thats something like 5:00 in the morning. Earlier than I wake up (5:30 - 6:30)! Woah! Guess I can't expect people to actually be here when the class happens..

FalconGunner99
Scratcher
1000+ posts

•••••SCRATCH SCHOOL•••••

1. Do you promise to be kind and not to hurt anybody in anyway? (If your student gets an “F” or “D”…) Yes
2. Do you promise to try your best to do the best teaching you can? Yes
3. Do you promise to share your work with others, and to help everybody learn Scratch? (…try to help them!) Yes
IF YOU DO:
Answer these questions:
1. What will your job be? Bitmap Graphics
2. What will your schedule be? Must be at least an hour after or before any other period. I can do it any time of day, really. I'm in EDT
3. Are you a boy or a girl? Do I have to answer that?
4. Repeat after me: “I promise to be kind and not to hurt anybody in anyway. I promise to do the best teaching I can. I promise to share my work with others and help everybody learn Scratch. And I promise to help Scratchers who need help!” I promise to be kind and not to hurt anybody in anyway. I promise to do the best teaching I can. I promise to share my work with others and help everybody learn Scratch. And I promise to help Scratchers who need help!

Last edited by FalconGunner99 (Sept. 27, 2013 20:49:20)

; Oh this? This is just my semicolon. I got it a long time ago, it's quite innocuous. Don't worry about it.

You —> http://i.imgur.com/iVHfwLc.gifv