Discuss Scratch

Scratch12300
Scratcher
500+ posts

Put all rules into the community guidelines

(removed by moderator- please don't spam with meaningless posts)
Last edited by Paddle2See (Yesterday 9:27:6)

Scratch12300
Scratcher
500+ posts

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

Here's a mock-up that took me an hour to make in Paint:

What do you guys think?
I LOVE IT!

joshuaho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

What do you guys think?
You forgot another rule that is really important:
When reporting problems in forums, don't use specific names as it may bring negative attention.

College student studying Communication and Fire Technology, communication lab tutor, guitar and piano player, perfectionist, and just some guy who regularly eats and trains physically to stay healthy.
PERCE-NEIGE
Scratcher
100+ posts

Copying is allowed, as far as it's under the remix form or with credits. The unallowed thing is stealing, and claiming the projects as your own, not copying. This should be strictly unallowed, but for now, the thing I do is to put a link toward the real project and the real author, when I meet a stolen project.
Not letting people remix your project is also unallowed, and is written in the community guideline, but I found a lot of people claming their projects can't be remixed, I wonder what they do here…

No chatrooms, as far as I understand, is not allowed for now, but it could change in the future, one day… You are warned EVERY TIME you use a cloud data, so, it's already clear.

joshuaho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

PERCE-NEIGE wrote:

Copying is allowed, as far as it's under the remix form or with credits. The unallowed thing is stealing, and claiming the projects as your own, not copying. This should be strictly unallowed, but for now, the thing I do is to put a link toward the real project and the real author, when I meet a stolen project.
Not letting people remix your project is also unallowed, and is written in the community guideline, but I found a lot of people claming their projects can't be remixed, I wonder what they do here…

No chatrooms, as far as I understand, is not allowed for now, but it could change in the future, one day… You are warned EVERY TIME you use a cloud data, so, it's already clear.

Copying= Downloading a project and sharing it without making any changes.
Downloading a project and sharing it without making any changes = stealing.

If you remix something, that is called remixing, not copying.

College student studying Communication and Fire Technology, communication lab tutor, guitar and piano player, perfectionist, and just some guy who regularly eats and trains physically to stay healthy.
ProdigyZeta7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

joshuaho wrote:

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

What do you guys think?
When reporting problems in forums, don't use specific names as it may bring negative attention.
I never heard that one before.

dracae
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

joshuaho wrote:

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

What do you guys think?
Yeah, like moderators sometimes remove usernames from posts.

“USER (removed by moderator) IS SUCH A HORRIBLE PERSON. MAKE SURE YOU INSULT THEM”

Unless you're being sarcastic…

joshuaho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dracae wrote:

“USER (removed by moderator) IS SUCH A HORRIBLE PERSON. MAKE SURE YOU INSULT THEM”

It doesn't just say “removed by moderator”, it also adds something like this note below:

"User (username removed by moderator- please don't attack others)

The “mod note” above was added by me, not that a moderator edited my post.

That added stuff in italics can well, bring some negative attention. It all starts with a scratcher not knowing the rules.

Last edited by joshuaho (July 14, 2013 00:59:04)

mathfreak231
Scratcher
1000+ posts

joshuaho wrote:

That added stuff in italics can well, bring some negative attention. It all starts with a scratcher not knowing the rules.
that's the point of having them read the guidelines first

i have grown as a person. and ive grown, literally. none of my posts from before 2022 represent me accurately.
joshuaho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

mathfreak231 wrote:

joshuaho wrote:

that's the point of having them read the guidelines first
Not sure what you mean… but ok.

joshuaho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

Ok… have you seen stuff like these on people's posts?
(removed by moderator- please don't attack others)
(removed by moderator- just flag the projects please)
(removed by moderator- please don't name and shame in the forums)

That's not all the notes, but they pretty much mean the same thing: Don't mention names when reporting problems in forums.

Last edited by joshuaho (July 14, 2013 22:05:50)

Mokat
Scratcher
100+ posts

dracae wrote:

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

joshuaho wrote:

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

What do you guys think?

MOKAT IS SUCH A HORRIBLE PERSON. PLZ INSULT HER.
lol jk

lightsong1
Scratcher
60 posts

+1

Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

joshuaho wrote:

PERCE-NEIGE wrote:

Actually, as long as they give credit, it's fine.

On another note, they're guidelines, not rules. There should be a separate rules page.

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
joshuaho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Firedrake969 wrote:

joshuaho wrote:

PERCE-NEIGE wrote:

On another note, they're guidelines, not rules. There should be a separate rules page.
But I thought that the guidelines were also rules, because I heard that anything against the guidelines would be removed.

jh1234l
Scratcher
100+ posts

joshuaho wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

joshuaho wrote:

PERCE-NEIGE wrote:

But I thought that the guidelines were also rules, because I heard that anything against the guidelines would be removed.

The problem is, there is no separate rules page. That's why we should make a full rules page/elaborate on the guidelines.

Two Advertising and sharing groups:
Scratch Cat's Hideout: Home Page / Advertise! / Members / Write A Review / Read A Review / FAQs
Scratching fame:

curiouscrab
Scratcher
500+ posts

joshuaho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

jh1234l wrote:

joshuaho wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

joshuaho wrote:

PERCE-NEIGE wrote:

The problem is, there is no separate rules page. That's why we should make a full rules page/elaborate on the guidelines.
Yes, +1

jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

As I have done on so many suggestions, I am going to express my opinion on this idea.

This website prides itself on having short terms of use, so that people will actually read them (in fact, they're called “Community guidelines” for that reason!). However, some users in the past have explained that the CG are very vague and they would like a list of rules, so one user suggested making an extended version containing the specific rules (check out what's on Mod Share for an example of what I think that would be like).

A bunch of posters on this topic also appear to share that opinion, and I also feel that would be a good idea. It helps to know exactly what the rules are. While I've been here for quite a while and have figured them out, new users are not in the same situation.

Professional web developer and lead engineer on the Scratch Wiki
Maybe the Scratch Team isn't so badWhy the April Fools' Day forum didn't work last year
joshuaho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

jvvg wrote:

As I have done on so many suggestions, I am going to express my opinion on this idea.

This website prides itself on having short terms of use, so that people will actually read them (in fact, they're called “Community guidelines” for that reason!). However, some users in the past have explained that the CG are very vague and they would like a list of rules, so one user suggested making an extended version containing the specific rules (check out what's on Mod Share for an example of what I think that would be like).

A bunch of posters on this topic also appear to share that opinion, and I also feel that would be a good idea. It helps to know exactly what the rules are. While I've been here for quite a while and have figured them out, new users are not in the same situation.
Yes, you are right! +1000000000