Welcome to the Conlanging Studio, a place to discuss the creation of languages and other things to do with linguistics!
● Conlanging is the art of making constructed languages, or 'conlangs' for short. This involves making your own grammar, words, writing system, and more. For a crash course, go here: https://zompist.com/kit.html
● To construct a language, you will need to decide what linguistic features to use and then use those to create the phonology (a set of sounds), morphology (how words are made), syntax (how words are arranged), writing system (how the language is written), and lexicon (what the words are).
● RULES: This studio is for the discussion of conlanging or linguistics, so unrelated discussion and advertising should not be posted. All conlang-related projects can be added here, but be careful to not add ciphers (letter substitutions) or relexes (word substitutions), which are just encryption of existing languages. If you add non-conlang projects, your curator status will be removed. Please do not add things that aren't to do with linguistics to the description. Any further questions should be directed to the studio managers.
● If you want to curate, simply make a project about a conlang or comment that you're interested in conlanging, and you will be invited! If you’ve been active in the studio for a month or so, then you can probably be a manager too, and you could ask to become one.
● About Conlangs:
● General Guides:
● International Phonetic Alphabet:
● Language Glossing:
● Conlang Generator:
● Resource Lists:
VIDEO GUIDE SERIES
● Artifexian: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLduA6tsl3gygfiWmGAhhHb4-HAqP6I63l
● Ben DuMonde: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZ7rQ_WCICCQUaxI1BcimtClLN9NFobj-
● Biblaridion: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6xPxnYMQpqsooCDYtQQSiD2O3YO0b2nN
● Worldbuilding Notes: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLg1OMpL5Gt_UGiX-GDxiT_DcmDO12zw6Q
● David Peterson: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgJSf-fmdfUsSlcr7A92-aA/playlists
NON-GUIDE VIDEO SERIES ABOUT CONLANGING
● The Langtime Studio:
OTHER VIDEO CHANNELS ABOUT LINGUISTICS
● NativLang: https://www.youtube.com/user/NativLang/videos
● Ling Space: https://www.youtube.com/user/thelingspace/videos
● "The Art of Language Invention: From Horse-Lords to Dark Elves" by David J. Peterson
● "The Language Construction Kit" by Mark Rosenfelder
● "Advanced Language Construction" by Mark Rosenfelder
● Past Translation Challenges: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/239093658/
● Our (insane) attempt to learn Basque: https://scratch.mit.edu/studios/25655875/comments/
● Collaboration project: https://scratch.mit.edu/studios/26060641/comments/