***Please read description before commenting***
Troll comments will be ignored or reported depending on the severity.
Feminism is different to egalitarianism. By definition:
Egalitarianism is the doctrine that all people are equal and deserve equal rights and opportunities, while feminism is the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes.
Very often, women aren’t offered the same rights or opportunities as a man or are treated differently because of their gender.
Feminism aims to give women equal rights and opportunities in places where they are disadvantaged.
By supporting equal rights for women, we can make all genders equal. This studio aims to promote feminism and all that it stands for.
If you have any questions, opinions, thoughts or experiences you'd like to share, please don’t hesitate to do so in the comments. This studio promotes the ability of free speech, however please be prepared for debate depending on the circumstances of your post. Troll comments will be ignored or reported depending on the severity.
“Feminism is the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the genders; the belief that men and women should have equal rights”. It is not synonymous with man-hating. In the words of Emma Watson, “Fighting for women's rights has too often become synonymous with man-hating, and this has to stop.”
Feminism = women + men
NOT women > men
▶︎ Why be a feminist?
You may not realise it, but there is so much sexism in the world. In some countries, girls are sold off as child brides, can't get proper education.
Men are also affected by the patriarchy, but feminism focuses more women's rights than men's is that women tend to be more severely affected.
The small, everyday phrases we use, such as, "I can't believe you let a girl beat you," or "don't leave a girl alone with money at the mall" show that our society is still both consciously and unconsciously sexist.
Feminism promotes the idea that both genders can be strong and that 'feminine' does not equal weak. But, unfortunately, research says sexism will still be lasting after a century and more, even with our best efforts. So we can't totally eradicate all sexism, but what we can do is try to decrease the general amount of it.
Everyone who agrees that any kind of women should have equal rights and opportunities to men is a type of feminist. Just remember, your voice may seem quiet, but if we all use our voices and shout at the same time, we can make a difference. We can enforce change. We can fight for equal rights, for what we believe in.
We can make the world a better place!
▶︎ Try These!
• Check out the Girls Who Code studio!
• Watch Emma Watson's feminism speech: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/youtube/cuUDQzNF9OE/
• Answer this questions by yourself or with a feminist friend: https://sealpress.com/2014/10/discussion-questions-for-full-frontal-feminism/
• See or hear someone being sexist? Confront them (as long as this doesn't threaten your or anyone else's safety)
• Read or watch informative books and videos about feminism
• Add or create any empowering projects about feminism and leave a link so we can add it to the studio
• Spread one of our hashtags (down the bottom) on any feminism areas, without advertising or spamming
▶︎ Curating and Managing
• If you'd like to curate, first follow the studio, then ask and a manager will invite you! If you are invited and you don't agree with feminism, then don't feel pressured to accept or comment anything that could be considered rude.
• Managing: sorry, managing slots are closed.
▶︎ Studio Stats
Studio created: May 2017
Total members: 400+
(last updated Jan 14 / 2019)
• The thumbnail belongs fully to Holly Bourne.
• Everyone in the world who is a feminist.