Welcome to the Writers World of Scratch! We are Scratchers who enjoy sharing our songs, poems, novels, short stories, and more with the world!
Give us new QOTWs, Writing Prompts, Writing Tips, and Author and Book Recommendations!
Which POV (point of view) do you prefer to write in?
mostly 1st (1)
mostly 2nd (0)
mostly 3rd (5)
Just ask to join, and we'll add you! Please only add your writing. If you have a tutorial on writing, that may also be added. I will make a point to try to read it!
- *insert name* was searching through the rubble left by the tornado, looking for *his/her* *bro/sister* when...
WRITER OF THE WEEK: (WOW)
BOOK OF THE WEEK: (BOW)
~ Until We Fade - a novella
✏ WRITING TIP OF THE WEEK:
- Don't be overly descriptive!
"The warm lining in the jacket warmed her so the bitter cold of the Arctic was driven away."
- NOT -
"The black and blue cotton lining of her jacket warmed her up so the freezing, killing cold, snow, and ice of the chilly Arctic no longer held her captive."
We already know the Arctic is chilly, so eliminate that. We don't really need to know the lining color, and we all know that "cold" in the Arctic is snow and ice.
✏ WRITING TIPS:
- If you can't imagine yourself in the story, then add more detail!
- Pretend you are the character you are writing about. If you can't, use more description. Unless they aren't important.
- I often don't start with knowing what will happen in the middle, just the start and the last sentence or two. If you get stuck in the middle, brainstorm the last chapter, and see where you're headed -- the middle has to get you there! Remember, after you've written the middle, the end may change to fit the middle -- don't be afraid to change it no matter how much you like it! I always have a document full of beginnings, middles, and ends that I had to rework to fit the story, in case I want to use one later. ( @mistyhorse)
- Show, don't tell!
- Jennifer A Nielson (young adult)
- Melanie Dickerson (young adult)
- E.D. Baker (10+)
- Trenton Lee Stewart (10+)
- Mary Connealy (Christian adult historical romance)
- Elizabeth Camden (Christian adult historical romance)
- Kate O'Hearn
- Stuart Gibbs
- James Patterson (the younger books)
- Eoin Colfer
- Shannon Messenger
- Bryen O'Riley
- Erin Hunter
- Inbali Iserles
= Fairy Tale Romance Series,
= Ascendance Trilogy,
Jennifer A Nielson
= The Mysterious Benedict Society,
Trenton Lee Stewart
= Hope and Glory series,
(only Book 1 has been published, Book 2 is coming June 2 2020)
= The Scourge,
Jennifer A Nielson
= Artemis Fowl series,
= Keeper of the Lost Cities series,
= The Chronicles of Quat,
= Warriors Series,
= Foxcraft Series,
View our other thumbnails at https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/323611416/ !