An invasive species is when a life form is introduced to a new environment, reproduces, and causes problems for the environment and/or people there.
Invasives can even cause extinction, like brown tree snakes on Guam.
Ways you can help:
- Never release pets.
- Wash boots after going in a cave.
- Clean boats, fishing, and hunting gear after using it.
- Never release fishing bait.
- Do not plant plants invasive in your area.
- Buy firewood within 30 miles of were you burn it.
Picture is a Burmese Python. This snake is native to southeast Asia, and is now invasive in Florida, where it eats pretty much every animal it comes across, including humans.
you can change the picture, as long as you include the common name of the animal, plant, fungus, or virus, where it is native to, and where it is invasive. OR, change it to a logo of an organization that helps stop invasives. Include the name of the organization.
Animals extinct because of invasive species:
- Guam Flycatcher
- Guam Flying Fox
- Achatinella abbreviata snail
- Yunnan Lake Newt
- All five Oo species
- Colombian Grebe
- Atiltlan Grebe
- Rabbs' Fringe-Limbed Tree Frog
- Golden Toad
- Bermuda Saw-Whet Owl
- Mysterious Starling