Bad Power - ENRON 2001
Making money on Global Warming
Summer 2001 ENRON manipulated power markets and caused California power outages.
A series of events allowed ENRON to shutdown grid.
1. Low NW snowloads and NW hydro caused California power shortage
2. Deregulation of California electric markets
3. FERC (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission) replaced by Bush admin.
4. A hot summer causing air conditioning loads to overwhelm power operators
5. ENRON used coal plant outages to manipulate California power market
6. Governor Gray Davis was forced by ENRON as proxy for Bush Administration out of office
7. ENRON went bankrupt and Ken Lay was indicted
8. California voted in Arnold Shwarzenegger as Republican Governor
9. George Bush won reelection
10. Play the Jack My Price Up! game by ENRON.