Discuss Scratch

78ch3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Exponent block

Sheep_maker wrote:

Duplicate, found via searching “exponent” instead of “to the power of”
Not all duplicates are the same. Mine is easier to understand.

Yo, I’m 78ch3, I’m 21 and I like singing rickroll(?). Here is Steve, my siggy protector: . Please view these links:
The Awesome collaboration
Extrose Discussion topic
Terraria RP
Want quality items while getting friendly service? Visit ⚡️78ch3's Everything Shop⚡️!
My Browser/Operating System: PieOS 314.159.265, Hawaii 12.3, No splash version dalekeded.
Click for hacker site (nah, just game)
Clicky!
walkcycle
Scratcher
500+ posts

Exponent block

78ch3 wrote:

But yours is the same suggestion.
Sheep_maker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Exponent block

78ch3 wrote:

Sheep_maker wrote:

Duplicate, found via searching “exponent” instead of “to the power of”
Unfortunately I think duplicates are prioritised by when they were made, not by quality of the OP. Though occasionally duplicates are merged

- Sheep_maker This is a kumquat-free signature. :P
What's happening? This is my signature; it appears below all my posts. Discuss it on my profile, not the forums.
To make your own, click “Change your signature” at the bottom of the discussion home page.

Yes
.postsignature { overflow: auto; } .scratchblocks { overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: hidden; }
Charles12310
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Exponent block

Here's a workaround:

([10^ v] of ((power) * ([log v] of (base))) :: operators )

or:

([e^ v] of ((power) * ([ln v] of (base))) :: operators )

You could also do (for positive numbers):

define find (base)^(power)
set [result v] to (1)
repeat (power)
set [result v] to ((result) * (base))
end

Last edited by Charles12310 (July 17, 2017 00:46:32)

Click This Link For Some Secrets About Me!
A few internet communication companies want to corrupt the internet by getting rid of net neutrality. Stop Them!
Charles12310
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Exponent block

Charles12310 wrote:

Here's a workaround:

or:

set [result v] to (1)
repeat (power)
end

Updated:

set [result v] to (1)
repeat ([abs v] of (power))
end
if <(power) < (0)> then
set [result v] to ((1)/(result))
end

Last edited by Charles12310 (July 17, 2017 00:47:53)

A few internet communication companies want to corrupt the internet by getting rid of net neutrality. Stop Them!
Charles12310
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Exponent block

Charles12310 wrote:

Charles12310 wrote:

Here's a workaround:

or:

set [result v] to (1)
repeat (power)
end

Updated:

set [result v] to (1)
repeat ([abs v] of (power))
end
if <(power) < (0)> then
set [result v] to ((1)/(result))
end
Anyways, Support.

78ch3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Exponent block

Please don't post workabouts. I have had enough of them. It is better not to have the workabout because it merges the workabout into a smaller block, making there be more space for scripts.

Yo, I’m 78ch3, I’m 21 and I like singing rickroll(?). Here is Steve, my siggy protector: . Please view these links:
The Awesome collaboration
Extrose Discussion topic
Terraria RP
Want quality items while getting friendly service? Visit ⚡️78ch3's Everything Shop⚡️!
My Browser/Operating System: PieOS 314.159.265, Hawaii 12.3, No splash version dalekeded.
Click for hacker site (nah, just game)
Clicky!
cul8er
Scratcher
500+ posts

Exponent block

78ch3 wrote:

Please don't post workabouts. I have had enough of them. It is better not to have the workabout because it merges the workabout into a smaller block, making there be more space for scripts.
But if there is a easy workaround, it's not worth the effort for the ST to put in a new block if there's no other reason for it to be included.

Gone.
Blaze349
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Exponent block

cul8er wrote:

78ch3 wrote:

But if there is a easy workaround, it's not worth the effort for the ST to put in a new block if there's no other reason for it to be included.
There isn't an easy workaround….There could potentially be one if we had reporter functions but we don't.

2 ^ of something (11 I think).
(((((((((((2) * (2)) * (2)) * (2)) * (2)) * (2)) * (2)) * (2)) * (2)) * (2)) * (2))
walkcycle
Scratcher
500+ posts

Exponent block

Blaze349 wrote:

There isn't an easy workaround….
Sure there is. They are posted in this thread and in the earlier threads linked from this thread.

Blaze349 wrote:

There could potentially be one if we had reporter functions but we don't.
3.0, fingers crossed.
cul8er
Scratcher
500+ posts

Exponent block

Blaze349 wrote:

cul8er wrote:

78ch3 wrote:

There isn't an easy workaround….There could potentially be one if we had reporter functions but we don't.
-snip-
But if there was, hypothetically, an easy workaround for a block with no redeeming features, then the block would be pointless and wouldn't be added.

switch backdrop to [previous v]

Gone.
Sheep_maker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Exponent block

Even if it has a workaround, that doesn't mean it should never be implemented; it just means the ST should prioritise other suggestions above the workaroundable ones

Also, this is still a duplicate.

- Sheep_maker This is a kumquat-free signature. :P
What's happening? This is my signature; it appears below all my posts. Discuss it on my profile, not the forums.
To make your own, click “Change your signature” at the bottom of the discussion home page.

Yes
.postsignature { overflow: auto; } .scratchblocks { overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: hidden; }
Charles12310
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Exponent block

Sheep_maker wrote:

Even if it has a workaround, that doesn't mean it should never be implemented; it just means the ST should prioritise other suggestions above the workaroundable ones

Also, this is still a duplicate.
Yeah, read sixth suggestion: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/215499/

DownsGameClub
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Exponent block

Is there a function in other programming languages that calculates exponents? I have a feeling the ^ symbol may cause a bit of confusion if there is a different function input, as already with the == (which is pretty easy to memorize though)…

Last edited by DownsGameClub (July 17, 2017 06:20:54)

MClovers
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Exponent block

I think there could be a workaround for that.
Just too lazy to make one

kenny2scratch
Scratcher
500+ posts

Exponent block

78ch3 wrote:

Please don't post workabouts.
Refusing to look at workarounds is not acceptable. If there is a good and reliable workaround to the block, then use the workaround instead of suggesting the block.

78ch3 wrote:

It is better not to have the workabout because it merges the workabout into a smaller block, making there be more space for scripts.
In this particular case, there were two tiny workarounds that worked absolutely fine:

Charles12310 wrote:

They're small enough that they take almost no extra script space.

Honestly, refusing workarounds is not going to get you any support. If there's a workaround, use it! New blocks are exceedingly rare (although a bunch are being added in 3.0) and most suggestions don't come through.

post brought to you by the preview links bug and the uploads site bug. 看一下中文 Scratch 維基想參加?請參考這頁
Join the Scratch Wiki!
Made by Scratchers, for Scratchers, since December 6, 2008

Blaze349
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Exponent block

DownsGameClub wrote:

Is there a function in other programming languages that calculates exponents? I have a feeling the ^ symbol may cause a bit of confusion if there is a different function input, as already with the == (which is pretty easy to memorize though)…
Most of the languages that I have used, have this function in their math library.
kenny2scratch
Scratcher
500+ posts

Exponent block

DownsGameClub wrote:

In Python it's ** instead of ^… is that what you wanted?~~~~

post brought to you by the preview links bug and the uploads site bug. 看一下中文 Scratch 維基想參加?請參考這頁
Join the Scratch Wiki!
Made by Scratchers, for Scratchers, since December 6, 2008

DownsGameClub
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Exponent block

kenny2scratch wrote:

DownsGameClub wrote:

Blaze349 wrote:

DownsGameClub wrote:

Most of the languages that I have used, have this function in their math library.
Yeah… @kenny2scratch what does ^ do in Python then?

cul8er
Scratcher
500+ posts

Exponent block

DownsGameClub wrote:

kenny2scratch wrote:

DownsGameClub wrote:

Blaze349 wrote:

DownsGameClub wrote:

Yeah… @kenny2scratch what does ^ do in Python then?
Google says ‘bitwise xor’ whatever that means.

Gone.