Discuss Scratch

• Discussion Forums
  • » Suggestions
  • » Remove "Next Backdrop/Costume" Block and make the "Switch Costume To [ ]" the same as its backdrop counterpart. [RSS Feed]
Letsgopitt
Scratcher
500+ posts

Remove "Next Backdrop/Costume" Block and make the "Switch Costume To [ ]" the same as its backdrop counterpart.

Doodle-cats wrote:

Letsgopitt wrote:

PrincessPanda_test_ wrote:

No support
1. New scratchers can handle this
2. This would be helpful for optimizing the animation scripts
I guessing you meant that new Scratchers can't handle it but…
Seriously, if new scratchers used the dropdown the questions forum would have a lot less people asking how to do “Previous Costume” and there would be less confusion over that.
Also, can't animators do this:

when green flag clicked
forever

switch costume to [next costume v]
wait (x) secs
end
actually, that's only for backdrops.
Actually, you are right. I think that “Switch Costume To” should be made like the Backdrop one, and the “next costume” block should be deleted. But yes, @Doodle-cats, you are right and I am wrong.
The_Scratch_Squad
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Remove "Next Backdrop/Costume" Block and make the "Switch Costume To [ ]" the same as its backdrop counterpart.

next costume

Are you talking about this scratch block above?

Or This one vvv
switch costume to [ v]
and
switch backdrop to [ v]

If the second one, No support.

What happened to needing to skip ones from one costume to another?

REMEMBER! Clicky That Sticky AND Read it Carefully before making new topics.
Get the Worlds Fails on Math!!!
Letsgopitt
Scratcher
500+ posts

The_Scratch_Squad wrote:

next costume

Are you talking about this scratch block above?

Or This one vvv
switch costume to [ v]
and
switch backdrop to [ v]

If the second one, No support.

What happened to needing to skip ones from one costume to another?
No, what I am saying is the
next costume
block shouldn't exist because it is redundant.
PrincessPanda_test_
Scratcher
1000+ posts

You ruined the whole world of animation.

Letsgopitt
Scratcher
500+ posts

No, no I didn't. I want to remove the independent “Next Costume” block! The function is still found in the dropdown. This would make for less confusion about a previous costume button.
Epicness123
Scratcher
1000+ posts

No support! The Next Costume block is an essential to animations.
If it was just a dropdown in Switch to Costume, then what's the point in moving it?

Sadly, my kumquats were eaten by an evil forum signature.
The_Scratch_Squad
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Letsgopitt wrote:

No, no I didn't. I want to remove the independent “Next Costume” block! The function is still found in the dropdown. This would make for less confusion about a previous costume button.

Epicness123 wrote:

If it was just a dropdown in Switch to Costume, then what's the point in moving it?
Well… @PrincessPanda_test_ has a point…

I can't support… It would be confusing.

Letsgopitt
Scratcher
500+ posts

Epicness123 wrote:

It is just an extra block, pretty much a shortcut to the dropdown. It makes sense to get rid of it.
Peppy777878
Scratcher
17 posts

That would make animating take forever
Letsgopitt
Scratcher
500+ posts

Peppy777878 wrote:

No, no it wouldn't! As I've been saying, it would be added to the dropdown because having the block is redundant. Please read the entire discussion before posting your thoughts.
TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

No support - useful for New Scratchers, also used so often. You'll crash Scratch if you remove the block.

Last edited by TheHockeyist (March 11, 2015 01:09:02)

ShinySkarmory227
Scratcher
100+ posts

Letsgopitt wrote:

Peppy777878 wrote:

No, no it wouldn't! As I've been saying, it would be added to the dropdown because having the block is redundant. Please read the entire discussion before posting your thoughts.
Letsgopitt, I think you've lost this argument. You're using the same idea over and over, it's literally the only reason you have. We have more than one reason, it will ruin animating, a lot of scratchers use the block, it's useful for new scratchers, etc. You've lost, and really should stop wasting your time, arguing for something that will be more harm than help.

Please tell me why I like this Chara-cter?
CLick the image to go to the creator's deviantart.
Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Perhaps we should reshape this suggestion to “Add Next/Previous Costume” to “Switch to Costumer” so as to be consistent with backdrops? Then, perhaps in the future, we can consider removing the Next Costume button if it makes sense?

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;
The_Scratch_Squad
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Paddle2See wrote:

Perhaps we should reshape this suggestion to “Add Next/Previous Costume” to “Switch to Costumer” so as to be consistent with backdrops? Then, perhaps in the future, we can consider removing the Next Costume button if it makes sense?

Switch to Costumer…? What is that?

NoxSpooth
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Paddle2See wrote:

Like this?

switch costume to [previous costume v]
Looks good to me, since we already have these:

switch backdrop to [next backdrop v]

switch backdrop to [previous backdrop v]
The_Scratch_Squad
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I never knew we had those blocks…

I support this:

NoxSpooth wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

Like this?

Letsgopitt
Scratcher
500+ posts

NoxSpooth wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

Like this?

This is pretty much what I was thinking.

ShinySkarmory227 wrote:

Letsgopitt wrote:

Peppy777878 wrote:

Letsgopitt, I think you've lost this argument. You're using the same idea over and over, it's literally the only reason you have. We have more than one reason, it will ruin animating, a lot of scratchers use the block, it's useful for new scratchers, etc. You've lost, and really should stop wasting your time, arguing for something that will be more harm than help.
Okay, I may be using only one reason, but none of the reasons you just listed were valid. I can counter all of those with my reason. It won't ruin animating because the function will still be there, Scratchers will still be able to use the block because the function would still be there, and New Scratchers could still use the function from the dropdown (which would also prevent suggestions for a “Previous” block).
Also please please don't say literally.
ShinySkarmory227
Scratcher
100+ posts

The_Scratch_Squad wrote:

I support this:

NoxSpooth wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

Like this?

We don't, at least not for sprite costumes.

ShinySkarmory227
Scratcher
100+ posts

Letsgopitt wrote:

Okay, I may be using only one reason, but none of the reasons you just listed were valid. I can counter all of those with my reason. It won't ruin animating because the function will still be there, Scratchers will still be able to use the block because the function would still be there, and New Scratchers could still use the function from the dropdown (which would also prevent suggestions for a “Previous” block).
Also please please don't say literally.
I never said, “literally”. And, no, your agrument doesn't! Sure, animations and things would still be possible but everyone who has already used the block will have to change it, because you removed it! I don't think scratch has the time to change the block over from
next costume
to
if it happened!

Letsgopitt
Scratcher
500+ posts

ShinySkarmory227 wrote:

The_Scratch_Squad wrote:

I support this:

NoxSpooth wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

Like this?

We don't, at least not for sprite costumes.
This is exactly what I'm saying–we should make the Switch Costume To block the same as the Switch Backdrop To block. Henceforth, the Next Costume block should be deleted because it is redundant. It would not kill animation because the function would still exist, and when (New) Scratchers look under the Switch Costume To block they'd see that you can do Next and Previous as well.
Basically I want the Costume blocks to conform to the backdrop blocks format.
  • Discussion Forums
  • » Suggestions
  • » Remove "Next Backdrop/Costume" Block and make the "Switch Costume To [ ]" the same as its backdrop counterpart. [RSS Feed]