Discuss Scratch

Maltese_Falcon
Scratcher
100+ posts

Is this really necessary?

I don't think they're very necessary. I've been seeing those a lot.
TreasureChest
Scratcher
54 posts

They are a good way of sharing your videos. Lots of people go on the studio so loads of people see your vids.

Last edited by TreasureChest (June 28, 2013 20:49:47)

I am TreasureChest, I make remixes and animations. Instead of being like most remixers where they just add the character and that is that I try to make mine detailed as possible.
Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

I'm not a big fan of “add everything” studios. They don't help people find projects with a particular theme - because they have no theme and accept anything. It's possible, though, that they might serve a social purpose, if they can attract enough people interested in seeing the studio grow larger. It doesn't cost the site much to host them - just a few more thousand rows in the project-studio relationship table. And there is nothing in the Community Guidelines that says that a studio needs to have a specific theme - so they might as well enjoy their project collections

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;
curiouscrab
Scratcher
500+ posts

Paddle2See wrote:

I'm not a big fan of “add everything” studios. They don't help people find projects with a particular theme - because they have no theme and accept anything. It's possible, though, that they might serve a social purpose, if they can attract enough people interested in seeing the studio grow larger. It doesn't cost the site much to host them - just a few more thousand rows in the project-studio relationship table. And there is nothing in the Community Guidelines that says that a studio needs to have a specific theme - so they might as well enjoy their project collections
When I try to search let's say "everything about [topic name]“ or ”everything [topic name]" the search results are a ton of add everything studios.

Last edited by curiouscrab (July 5, 2013 12:06:18)

scimonster
Scratcher
1000+ posts

They're not necessary, but they're not really harmful either. If you're having trouble with Scratch's search, sometimes a Google site search can help. So, you might search for “everything about trigonometry” site:scratch.mit.edu/studios.

Retired Community Moderator
BTW, i run Google Chrome 41.0.2272.101 on a Linux system - Ubuntu 14.04. NEW: iPad 4th gen. w/retina.

418 I'm a teapot (original - to be read by bored computer geeks)
THE GAME (you just lost)
; THE SEMICOLON LIVES ON IN OUR SIGS
ProdigyZeta7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

scimonster wrote:

They're not necessary, but they're not really harmful either.
1. They bring unwanted attention, and that can be a bad thing. Scratchers studio recently had problems with a troll who infiltrated the studio and did all sorts of nasty things (deleting projects, swearing in the studio notes, etc.).
2. Trying to find any project in one is like finding the needle in a haystack. You'd have to spend an hour to go through a fraction of the projects inside.

chocolatepenguin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I'm against “Add Everything” studios, however if they have lots and lots of projects in them (like scratchers) they can stay.
Recently, I have asked in two add everything studios for my A Story… project to be removed. I can't wait until it gets curated…

hono12702
Scratcher
19 posts

You are 100% correct. I HATE THOSE STUDIOS! They have no purpose. I mean I understand maybe a “my fav projects” one or “cool projects” one, but add everything… really??

<3 A.T. & Lilo & Stitch!!!!!!!!
hono12702
Scratcher
19 posts

Oh, and I also hate when people add your projects to those without permission.

<3 A.T. & Lilo & Stitch!!!!!!!!
joshuaho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

hono12702 wrote:

Oh, and I also hate when people add your projects to those without permission.
Yeah, me too. I'd just delete them.

College student studying Communication and Fire Technology, communication lab tutor, guitar and piano player, perfectionist, and just some guy who regularly eats and trains physically to stay healthy.
zorket
Scratcher
500+ posts

I really don't like these studios, I really wish they would ban them.

Yes
NoxSpooth
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I really don't like these studios, but I don't think they should be banned at all.
cobraguy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

That's a lot.

Last edited by cobraguy (July 7, 2013 12:05:13)

mathfreak231
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

2. Trying to find any project in one is like finding the needle in a haystack. You'd have to spend an hour to go through a fraction of the projects inside.
why would you even bother searching through the projects anyways?

Last edited by mathfreak231 (July 7, 2013 23:38:12)

i have grown as a person. and ive grown, literally. none of my posts from before 2022 represent me accurately.
groko13
Scratcher
100+ posts

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

scimonster wrote:

1. They bring unwanted attention, and that can be a bad thing. Scratchers studio recently had problems with a troll who infiltrated the studio and did all sorts of nasty things (deleting projects, swearing in the studio notes, etc.).
I don't mind them, and they don't hurt Scratch, but I agree with what you guys said. Maby for the attention thing, (By the way, I am a curator for Scratchers, and that disaster was NASTY), there could be a thing where you could only let certain curators change the picture, studio notes, etc.

-This post was brought to you by me.
Rumanti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

groko13 wrote:

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

scimonster wrote:

I don't mind them, and they don't hurt Scratch, but I agree with what you guys said. Maby for the attention thing, (By the way, I am a curator for Scratchers, and that disaster was NASTY), there could be a thing where you could only let certain curators change the picture, studio notes, etc.

YES,That's what I was thinking! They' re harmless, except the things you say

:wq
Deerleg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

There's already a gigantic forum thread on this.
Just so you know.

cheeseeater
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Deerleg wrote:

There's already a gigantic forum thread on this.
Just so you know.
Yep, that's why everyone uses that one. That was a sort of unnecessary necropost…