Discuss Scratch
- Discussion Forums
- » Suggestions
- » "At the same time" hat block
- knowitall1237
-
Scratcher
100+ posts
"At the same time" hat block
This is a similar idea to this suggestion, but it is an alternate implementation of it.
The block looks like a normal Scratch block, but it has a hat block “attached” to it, similarly to a comment.
Any code you place under the hat block does not pause the rest of the original script, allowing you to run several pieces of code at the same time without needing a lot of broadcasts.
Mockup + example script:
The block looks like a normal Scratch block, but it has a hat block “attached” to it, similarly to a comment.
Any code you place under the hat block does not pause the rest of the original script, allowing you to run several pieces of code at the same time without needing a lot of broadcasts.
Mockup + example script:
when green flag clicked
point in direction (90)
at the same time: :: control // connected to the hat block with a line
say [I'm spinning!] for (5) secs
:: hat control
forever
turn cw (15) degrees
end
Last edited by knowitall1237 (Yesterday 15:47:41)
- zispe
-
Scratcher
500+ posts
"At the same time" hat block
when green flag clicked
point in direction (90)
broadcast [spin v]
say [I'm spinning!]
when I receive [spin v]
forever
turn cw (15) degrees
end
I actually think the workaround is much, much more simple than your suggestion. Everyone knows what broadcasting does, and kids who don't can easily figure it out. I think “new thread” is actually less on the nose and less easy to figure out. Even if it was at the same level of understanding, you're just suggesting something that's already a feature in the editor, you're just suggesting to add it again with a different name. Why should this be a thing? What does it benefit? How is it different than broadcast, would be my main question (if I wasn't already sure of the answer).
- knowitall1237
-
Scratcher
100+ posts
"At the same time" hat block
-snip-The problem with using broadcasts is that it's more cluttered if you need to do this several times
I actually think the workaround is much, much more simple than your suggestion. Everyone knows what broadcasting does, and kids who don't can easily figure it out. I think “new thread” is actually less on the nose and less easy to figure out. Even if it was at the same level of understanding, you're just suggesting something that's already a feature in the editor, you're just suggesting to add it again with a different name. Why should this be a thing? What does it benefit? How is it different than broadcast, would be my main question (if I wasn't already sure of the answer).
Also, you have to deal with the fact clones receive messages too
I could probably reword the block a bit to make it simpler though
- Spooky_Lukey
-
Scratcher
1000+ posts
"At the same time" hat block
If there are two ATST block in different parts of the code that need to run different things, how will it handle that?
- CSwitch
-
Scratcher
100+ posts
"At the same time" hat block
Duplicate.
Wait, I didn't read the first line of the suggestion. Ignore this
Wait, I didn't read the first line of the suggestion. Ignore this
Last edited by CSwitch (Oct. 6, 2026 17:06:42)
- knowitall1237
-
Scratcher
100+ posts
"At the same time" hat block
Duplicate.Please read the first line of text in my suggestion
- CSwitch
-
Scratcher
100+ posts
"At the same time" hat block
I actually think the workaround is much, much more simple than your suggestion. Everyone knows what broadcasting does, and kids who don't can easily figure it out. I think “new thread” is actually less on the nose and less easy to figure out. Even if it was at the same level of understanding, you're just suggesting something that's already a feature in the editor, you're just suggesting to add it again with a different name. Why should this be a thing? What does it benefit? How is it different than broadcast, would be my main question (if I wasn't already sure of the answer).What if you had to use this mechanic several times in your project? Then you'd end up creating a bunch of broadcasts that you only use once.
- Discussion Forums
- » Suggestions
-
» "At the same time" hat block