Discuss Scratch

squelz
Scratcher
100+ posts

mousepointer detection with clones

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/1378590790/

ISSUE: i have three clones and one varible not related to any sprites, i want to be able to hover ANY clone and make the variable say 1, and when im not hovering over ANY of them itll be 0

the variable is “selection:IsHovering?”

when I start as a clone
forever
if <touching [mouse pointer v] ?> then
set [selection:IsHovering v] to [1]
else
set [selection:IsHovering v] to [0]
end
end

Last edited by squelz (Sept. 7, 2026 03:37:39)

102acrimea
Scratcher
100+ posts

mousepointer detection with clones

Ensure selection:IsHovering is for all sprites and not for this sprite only

when green flag clicked
forever
set [selection:IsHovering v] to [0]
broadcast [check v] and wait
end

when I receive [check v]
if <touching [mouse pointer v] ?> then
set [selection:IsHovering v] to [1]
end
10goto10
Scratcher
1000+ posts

mousepointer detection with clones

I suppose it's possible that in general the mouse could touch more than one clone. I made something that works. There might be easier ways to do this but here is my case study:

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/1378684024/

Another thing I tried to do was avoid having the sprite itself report touching the mouse pointer because a hidden sprite will still detect touching the mouse. I don't think this matters in your project because the sprite overlaps your third clone, but it's something I wanted to avoid.

Last edited by 10goto10 (Sept. 7, 2026 04:38:31)

supadupa_cutecat
Scratcher
32 posts

mousepointer detection with clones

Personally what i would do (so it checks both instead of one
when I start as a clone
forever
if <touching [... v] ?> then
set [text v] to [1]


else
if <not <touching [... v] ?>> then
set [text.. v] to [0]
end

end
end

Last edited by supadupa_cutecat (Sept. 7, 2026 04:54:03)

follower_Guy7
Scratcher
7 posts

mousepointer detection with clones

please go and check out my project it is so good https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/1375132648
squelz
Scratcher
100+ posts

mousepointer detection with clones

supadupa_cutecat wrote:

Personally what i would do (so it checks both instead of one
when I start as a clone
forever
if <touching [... v] ?> then
set [text v] to [1]


else
if <not <touching [... v] ?>> then
set [text.. v] to [0]
end

end
end


ok so this is the same problem as just setting the variable back to 0 though???? the “if then else” is already the “false” output, theres really no need to add another layer of “if not touching” ill try out the other solutions

Last edited by squelz (Sept. 7, 2026 13:15:34)

squelz
Scratcher
100+ posts

mousepointer detection with clones

follower_Guy7 wrote:

please go and check out my project it is so good https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/1375132648


please dont advertise your project here
squelz
Scratcher
100+ posts

mousepointer detection with clones

102acrimea wrote:

Ensure selection:IsHovering is for all sprites and not for this sprite only

when green flag clicked
forever
set [selection:IsHovering v] to [0]
broadcast [check v] and wait
end

when I receive [check v]
if <touching [mouse pointer v] ?> then
set [selection:IsHovering v] to [1]
end


this like 50/50 works but with the “description” feature im trying to add this would just make it flash
squelz
Scratcher
100+ posts

mousepointer detection with clones

10goto10 wrote:

I suppose it's possible that in general the mouse could touch more than one clone. I made something that works. There might be easier ways to do this but here is my case study:

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/1378684024/

Another thing I tried to do was avoid having the sprite itself report touching the mouse pointer because a hidden sprite will still detect touching the mouse. I don't think this matters in your project because the sprite overlaps your third clone, but it's something I wanted to avoid.


ok yeah wow, this just works flawlessly

Powered by DjangoBB