Discuss Scratch

_melon_kitten_
Scratcher
100+ posts

Wip






❝ THE SINGER OF LOSS AND SALVATION ❞
a Northern application












I close my eyes. You should too.
And listen to that mournful tune.
It’s a song of loss,
A song of salvation.
I can hear it, ringing through
The valleys and the mountains.
Deep down in the ground,
And as high in the sky,
As one can fly,
On wings that don’t exist,
You can hear that song.

And there… do you see it?
Something in the sky,
It’s flying
On wings of melody.
A crane of song.
A dancing crane
Through loss and salvation










Table of contents
  • CHAPTER THE FIRST - portfolio
  • CHAPTER THE SECOND - Details
  • CHAPTER THE THIRD - Personality
  • EPILOGUE - ending



I close my eyes. You should too.
And listen to that mournful tune.






CHAPTER THE FIRST
portfolio







It’s a song of loss,
A song of salvation.




Who am I?
꒰ @_Melon_Kitten_ / Mel or Lo! ꒱
꒰ She/they ꒱
Heya! I’m Mel or Lo, an artist, writer, scratcher, roleplayer, and theatre kid. I’m a minor and try to be a pretty positive person around people both online and in person. I enjoy making new friends and learning new things, my favorite subject in school is English as I get to both write and read! I was first introduced to warrior cats when I was pretty young, and while I still enjoy the series I do not plan on finishing all of it (because there is like a million books lol). My first experience with roleplaying was almost three years ago at this point, and was in person with some irl friends. Online I’ve been roleplaying for a few months, though I’m not sure the exact length. I’ve been in several roleplays over my time in the rp community, though I’ll get into that later in this application!




Where else can you contact me?
꒰ ꒱
Sadly I'm not on maybe platforms besides scratch.
I have a magma account that I will link later, but that's pretty much it.




How active am I?
꒰ 9/10 ꒱
On scratch in general I’m on all the time, after and before school, during certain classes, during the weekends, ect. The majority of this time is spent roleplaying, though I do like to look at open drawing contests or just chat with friends sometimes! I would consider myself an active roleplayer, and I’ve never had a character suffer to inactiveness since my very first one. I don’t feel like I’ve ever really had a long time period (such as, a week or more at a time) where I am not able to be at least a little active, and I like to make sure my characters get a lot of use.
For longevity, I probably would keep Northern until they are at least a middle aged warrior. As previously said I like to make sure my characters get lots of use, and don’t like oofing my characters. I’ve only had one exception to this, and that was a time period where my mental health was pretty bad and I prioritized that over a roleplay character.



What’s my experience?
꒰ Quite a bit! ꒱
As previously said, I’ve been roleplaying for several months on scratch. During this time I’ve been in Generations, Tfcrp, TSS, and several smaller roleplays. I’ve had a variety of characters, and enjoy expanding the ones I’ve played!
Past characters:
Ashtrill, She/her, Tfcrp - Ashtrill was my first roleplay character on scratch. I admit, I was not the best roleplayer at that time and her personality and story was… boring, kind of? She was a brown and cream colorpoint, and I never did get around to drawing a reference or writing a bio for her. She was kind, sweet, and shy around new cats, but eventually that personality became uninteresting to roleplay for me and I had grown so much as a roleplayer that I couldn’t continue her story. I ended up oofing her when she was around 30 moons, so I had her for about 13 moons?
Emberkit, She/they, Generations - I’m pretty sure Emmie and Ashtrill overlapped. I was really excited when I was accepted for Emberkit, and role played her lots. Her personality was a more cheery and really energetic one, and it was fun for me to play as her! She ended up oofing to weekly kit, a Generations function that randomly oofs a kit each week.
Koipond, she/they/it, Generations - Soon after Ember I got Koi. Her personality was similar to Emmie’s, yet I wanted a bigger focus on story telling, and was fun to roleplay! I’m still pretty proud of Koipond, I gave her a lot of lore and they had a very interesting story. I won’t explain all of her lore, but she ended up leaving its clan to become a loner, becoming mates with a cat from her former clan, and starting a small loner group.Koi died when they were around 20ish moons, as I was having some mental health issues and prioritized them over her.
Eveningbreeze, They/Fae/It, Tfcrp - Evening was my next Tfcrp character, and had a protective and really fierce personality. I enjoyed roleplaying them, and can’t exactly remember why I oofed fae. I did actually do a bio for them, and I’m still proud of the ref I did!
Violetkit, He/They, Generations - Vio was an interesting character, and one I like roleplaying! He had an awkward personality, and it was fun to figure out how that played into interactions! They unfortunately oofed while trying to sneak out of camp, a different Generations function that has a 50% chance of death, though provides apt if survived.
Currently characters
Sunstonewatcher, He/Fae/it, TSS - Sunstone currently takes up my first TSS spot. He is a Cavernclan cat, and I’m having a lot of fun roleplaying him! I won fae when they were a kit from a litter, and it has a teasing-older-sibling kind of personality. Currently fae has an apprentice, and I’m also having a lot of fun roleplaying that.
LegendSong, genderlfuid, any pronouns, Generations - I’m really proud of Lettie! They are the medic apprentice of their clan, and have a personality similar to an Athena child/Annabeth (if you have read Percy Jackson). Currently I’m planing her first litter, as she is nearing the age to become a full medic and Generation medics can have mates/kits.



Why am I applying?
꒰ How could I not? ꒱
I’ve been in Tfcrp for a while, and like to keep an eye on any open litters. When I saw this litter, I was of course, looking through the kit designs. May I just say, for one, all of the designs are so pretty? Like, hello? When I saw Northern’s though, I was completely blown away. I am obsessed with it, and have quite a few drawings in my sketchbook that I’ll post at some point! I’m also really invested in the litters backstory and plot, I think Cherubim seems like a really interesting character, and find the idea of having a character who grows up in the Angel’s Choir sounds like a nice change of pace. And then, of course, over the course of working on this application I’ve grown to feel really attached to The Dancing Crane. I am really happy with the ideas I’ve come up with, and would be more than happy to be able to roleplay out his life!



I can hear it, ringing through
The valleys and the mountains.






CHAPTER THE SECOND
details







Deep down in the ground,
And as high in the sky,
As one can fly,
On wings that don’t exist,
You can hear that song.




Who is Northern?
The Dancing Crane is a medium height cat, growing to be about 9.5 inches once full grown. He has a slender yet quick build, that he uses to his full advantage in fights. I can imagine that at first he would wish to be bigger, yet slowly come to be with himself and be a better fighter than if he had been bigger and had a more thick build.




What is Northern’s gender, pronouns, and sexuality?
꒰ Boyflux, He/Crane/Fae/Song/It, Asexual, Demi-romantic, Bisexual male pref ꒱
Note, I will be using he/him pronouns for the sake of this application!
0-4 moons -
4-8 moons -
8-10 moons -
10-16 moons -
16+ moons -



Dynamics

Cherubim - Guardian or Cherubim, never mother/parent ❝ My protecter, I will never disappoint you ❞
The Dancing Crane views Cherubim as a sort of guardian angel, and a leader. He sees them as perfect in every way, and the kind of cat that does big things and helps others. After all, he and his siblings were rescued by them, what would have happened to them if Cherubim hadn’t been there? As to their own beliefs that they are an angel, when Northern learns of these he will whole-heartedly agree. He will secretly start seeing them as even greater than he previously imagined, and feel a little awkward around them for a bit.
When Crane is older and Cherubim starts often leaving, he will wait and count the days until they return. Any gifts he is given are regarded as great treasures, and he will start a small collection of them. His own love language being gifts as well, I imagine that trying to reflect them he will often rest dried out flowers or small stones on her nest.
However, he does know that Cherubim is not really his mother. Sometimes he can imagine that in fact they are a normal family, but he knows that they will never refer to him or his siblings as their ‘children’.
Positive traits in there dynamic - When Cherubim is around, Crane always sees it as if he has someone to talk to. He will often be able to confide things in them that he couldn’t with anyone else, believing that as some form of angel they will be able to help. Just having someone to talk to will help him a lot in his kithood. Besides this Cherubim will help a lot with his growing curiosity, her teaching the kits many skills as they grow up will make him even more excited to learn things.
Negative traits in there dynamic - (will properly write out later, often spends more time around them than others his age, nit someone says something bad about them will get very upset, ect)

Siblings
Note: all of these may and will change based on who claims the kit
The Dancing Crane’s siblings to him are both the closet of friends and the most dangerous of enemies.
They are the ones who know him best, who are always there for him and who understand him maybe a bit more than most. He might not always trust them, but he will protect them and always try to keep them safe.
On the other paw, they are the ones who know him best, which can be just as dangerous as enjoyable. If they ever fight they know exactly what to say, and perhaps even more meaningful to Crane they are the ones who he has to compete with for Cherubim’s attention.

Rosemary - Rosey ❝ You are like a flower, yet how do you always grow? ❞
This application is linked with @DaisySays ‘s Rosemary, and there dynamic is one we have discussed together!
When they are young, Rosemary and Northern are pretty close. They compete with each other, and enjoy a sort of friendly rivalry. At first The Dancing Crane is cautious that Cherubim will favor his older sister, and Rosemary might even play that part for a bit, but eventually realizes that she cares little for the Angel’s favor. To Crane his sister is odd, yet someone he can talk to, train with. He shares a few views and disagrees with others, and while they do fight it never is to large.
Once Rosemary loses a friend, someone close to her, and Northern starts to wander, their relationship takes a dip. Crane doesn’t care much to spend time with those close to him, and his communication skills get worse. They start fighting more, and friendly competition fades to real upset and anger. When he sees his sister Crane sees a reflection of his younger self, and feels melancholy for when they were close.


Hawthorne - Thorn ❝ Your not so pokey as your name suggests, really quite sweet ❞
In general, Crane sees Hawthorne as mostly competition. Someone else he needs to beat, to win against.
With @. Rosemary:
With @. Rosemary:

Halley
Waiting for the pre-claimer to respond so we can discuss dynamics

Members of the Angel’s Choir
The Dancing Crane doesn’t really know much, or care to learn much, about the majority of the Angel’s Choir. He sees the cats who left to join it from clans as if they lost their clan, were kicked from it, and aren’t worth a clan. The cats like him who were born into the group aren’t particularly viewed in any way, they didn’t lose or win.
As to the overall beliefs of the group, Crane generally does believe in them and follow them. He doesn’t fully understand the resentment of the clans, and is not particularly hostile to them, yet doesn’t and won’t expression those opinions to any members he doesn’t trust.

Friends
Crane has… few friends. He often resents those who can beat him or make him seem like a loser, so that limits those he can get close to. Besides family his friends are usually cats he doesn’t have to worry about disappointing, yet also who can’t beat him.
Around his friends he’s always a bit on edge, wondering if they truly like him or simply mean to make him fail. Those he really trusts and loves are those he would be willing to do anything for, and would never let anyone hurt. They are cats the most like him, seen as a ‘kindred spirit’ in his eyes.

Enemies
Those Northern has decided to dislike are disliked forever. If they cause him or those he holds close pain, then they are immediately placed as the worst of enemies.



Trivia!

Longer, thought out ideas

Names and titles -
As a young fledgling, Northern will never feel fully attached to his name. He doesn’t feel it fits him, yet he will use it as it was given to him and all gifts are important. As he grows older however the fledging will start asking to be referred to as ‘The Dancing Crane’, or simply ‘Crane’, by all except his family. He will never change his name, never leave that specific gift behind, yet simply assign himself a new title to use. As he grows older the name will become something of an identity, a stage persona, that he uses around cats he doesn’t know. He will perform the role as if in a play, a character crafted to walk the stage.

Winner vs loser -
Northern will always see things in a winner vs loser point of view. He believes that in everything someone must come out victorious, followed by someone hanging their head. Everything in his life is separated into a black and white view, being rescued as a kit was a win, losing a play fight is a loss. This frame of life causes him to often see things as battles, and be terrified that he would lose them. Crane often will get into fights with even elects of mature, such as staring at the sun or try to stay awake past the moon.

Nighttime and daytime -
The Dancing Crane will always dislike the idea of a specific time to fall into slumber. Even as a young fledgling he will often stay awake far past the time when other cats sleep, simply staring at the moon and stars. As he grows older, Northern will decide not to bend to the rules of normal cats, and switch over to a nocturnal schedule. Awake during the night and asleep during the day.
This idea is represent in MOONLIGHT DREAMER, a Srp for the application. https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/869199/?page=1#post-9007720

Random facts
Favorites
Color - White, based on his winner/loser views he sees white as the color that represents light and good, so believes it to be the best color. (I spent at least 5 minutes staring at my device trying to decide his favorite color. Why? I really don’t know)
Animal - Birds, beings partially name after a species of bird and enjoying to watch them he decided that they were his favorite animal, and very noble.
Season - Undecided, he doesn’t see any point in choosing seasons, as they all happen over and over again.
Weather - Light drizzle, he enjoys feeling the water and finds it fascinating how it falls from the sky, yet large storms frighten him (though he wouldn’t let anyone know that)
Emotion - Calmness/peacefulness, while he does enjoy happy emotions, he finds that being calm feels the most comforting.
Miscellaneous
Voice claim - I’ve been thinking the over for a while, and I was listening to a song from “Dear Evan Hansen” while I was working in this application, and Evan Hansen’s voice is kind of perfect for what I’ve been imagining. I’ll get a clip eventually and add it to the project.


And there… do you see it?
Something in the sky,
It’s flying





CHAPTER THE THIRD
personality







On wings of melody.
A crane of song.




Why is this its own section?
꒰ Because I like to ramble! ꒱
I’ve found that if I simply include personality in with details about the kit, it ends up becoming a very large section. I prefer to keep things more consistent, so I decided that having a different spot to put personality might be able to help a lot! This is my first time trying this, so let me know if it makes this more confusing.



What are the simplified traits?
+ Independent, Curious, Patient, Loyal, Confident, Calm,
= Quiet, Daydreamer, Observant, Idealistic, solitude-seeking, Reflective,
– Distant, Stubborn, Guarded, Secretive, Slow to trust, Avoidant



I can take care of myself, I don’t need anyone else

+ Independent
The Dancing Crane decided one day as a fledgling that he will never need assistance. No one would be asked for anything, no one would have reason to be disappointed at his inability to do a skill. That decision branched out into his future, and the days turned to moons he spent practicing everything under the sun. Fighting techniques, so he’d never lose a fight, hunters crouch, so he’d never lose a mouse. Each day he would practice waking up exactly at dawn, never missing a drop of day that could be used. For if he doesn’t, how could other cats ever respect him? Someone who can’t take care of theirself isn’t worth any respect. These beliefs not only lead him to be stronger, faster, but also push away the weak. He still loves them of course, but forces himself to focus on what he can do. The Dancing Crane comes off as intimidating to some, because of the amount of time spent training, but a hero to others. He can protect them, that was the whole point in the first place.

There is a whole world out there, waiting to be explored

+ Curious
Northern is always exploring, always asking questions. He finds everything interesting, from how trees turn orange in leaf-fall to why his siblings are sad. Days are often spent trying to solve mysteries, or exploring an odd log that he had never seen before, questions upon questions that pile up. He believes that questions are usually not rude, and so often asks them without thinking, expect around those he really wants to impress. Wondering things about the world leads him to often know a lot more things than most cats, though he never flaunts his knowledge. He has an answer prepared for most situations, whether because he already thought them over or simply did some quick thinking. Him enjoying to learn leads to becoming a fast learner, and someone always looking out for new things to grow from, or to understand.

I can wait for better chances, you’ll see

+ Patient
Northern knows that sometimes, a pause, a wait, can be better than a leap. He learned that to be a winner you must also be a waiter, someone who can’t be content while not doing anything. This might have been brought on by a loss that came from impatience, but either was he stuck to it and became a cat who waits and thinks. Waiting for a better piece of prey from a hunting patrol, and waiting to attack in a battle. The lesson ‘look before you leap’ is one that he might try to teach those that don’t follow it, maybe a sibling, maybe another cat. He might miss opportunities, every now and then, but most of the time what he is given by this important trait far outweighs the negatives. To other cats, this might make him seem calm and content, peaceful though he is not, yet it is really terrifying. The self control to not pounce, at least quite yet.

I won’t abandon those I love, ever

+ Loyal
Crane loves his family and friends dearly. He trusts them for the most part, and always tries to be there for them. He believes, and is not afraid to say, that abandoning those you love is terrible, an act of cowardice and a large loss. He never supports those who wouldn’t protect others, who wouldn’t be there for them if something bad happens. Those who stab friends in the back aren’t deserving of having friends. When his siblings get a scratch or a friend asks for prey, he believes that he should help them, and so does just that. This can make him seem… clingy, or sometimes even paranoid that cats will leave him, and while that can be true is not why he does those things. He does them from a sense that everyone should have a shoulder to lean on, and no one should be worried about backstabbers or deserters.

If you don’t believe in yourself, then who will?

+ Confident
The Dancing Crane knows that he can do things he really tries to do. If he wants to do something, why wouldn’t he do it? Cats that don’t believe in him are wrong. He believes wholeheartedly that to be respected you must first respect yourself, and if you don’t support yourself or think you can do things? Well, then you can’t do things. This theory makes him act with confidence, and ignore snide comments. When he walks he doesn’t slump down, he stands tall. When he talks he addresses his audience with pride and loud clear words, except if the meeting needs to be secret. Crane believes that other cats see this as a clear sign that he knows what he’s doing, and will support him for it. This, of course, would change if he were to lose, but he won’t, he can’t.

Keeping your cool can be very useful…

+ Calm
Northern prefers to not get upset. It’s such an unfortunate feeling, that fills you and causes cats to act in ways that they will regret later on. Why feel that way, act those ways, when they are more likely to make you lose? Winning is hard already, so why hinder it even more? Instead, he prefers a blank coolness, one that makes him seem serene and peaceful, even if he is nothing of the sort and never will be. He trains and practices the ability not to get upset, or if he does, not to show it. This reaches out as well into other strong feelings, sadness, happiness, anything that could affect him and how he acts. This makes him come off as both intimidating and polite, a cat who knows what they are doing a little too well. That is, of course, the idea, to have cats never be at ease. That way, they can never win.






How does Northern’s environment effect his personality?
The Dancing Crane is effected a lot up by where he lived and those around him.
Growing up in the Angel’s Choir he learns a lot about secrets and trust, making him even more curious to learn about what cats might be hiding. When everyone has a secret, that just means there are plenty more things to be discovered. During his time in the group he also ends up being a very secretive cat, knowing that others will always be trying to figure out what he is hiding.
When Crane eventually leaves the Angel’s Choir his personality will develop more, ending in a paranoid cat due to the bounty placed on his head. He will be frightened every step he takes, and not trust cats due to the group.


A dancing crane





EPILOGUE
ending







Through loss and salvation.



Is this application linked with anyone?
꒰ Yes! ꒱
This application is linked with @DaisySays’s interpretation of Rosemary. You can view there project here: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/1284190298/



Was any research added?
꒰ Yes! ꒱
I have added anxiety to Northern, and research is in a different forum. You may view the research here: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/869828/?page=1#post-9013996


✽❀✿☀︎︎☘︎︎ ⇜⇝⭆◎៙☆彡 ꒰ 。・:*˚:✧ ❝ ❞ ✧:˚*:・。 ꒱

Last edited by _melon_kitten_ (March 10, 2026 21:09:24)

_melon_kitten_
Scratcher
100+ posts

Wip











❝ THE SINGER OF LOSS AND SALVATION ❞
Plot ideas

Please note that none of these are definite! These are simply ideas I might use with Northern if I were to win, and I’m not saying I will!










Table of contents
  • THE FLEDGLING WHO WONDERS - kithood
  • BROKEN GLASS - a secondary plot idea for THE FLEDGLING THAT WONDERS
  • ANGELIC - juvenile
  • ACCIDENTS - adulthood
  • Smaller path ideas - throughout his life



THE FLEDGLING WHO WONDERS -
Basic idea: a kit who wonders why there ‘parent’ isn’t there parent, and the reality to their existence
Barely even a fledgling, so young, and yet such a large mind set to guide them. This mind… it wonders, and it sometimes takes him down a path different from the one set by his predecessors. A few words, warning him that he has no home, but no memory… who are they from? Perhaps, an angel like some say this Fledgling is, warning him of decent in the lands far away. Or, maybe a devil, attempting to change the path that was set for him. Throughout his kithood, he will wonder endlessly about the forces that somehow brought him to be found by the parent that is not his parent. He isn’t really the child of Cherubim, he knows that, yet who is he the child of? Could it be, he really is an angel, who has no parents, no true home like that last message. He will often question, think, wonder, leading him to eventually decide that maybe this isn’t the place ment for him. He will adventure, starting at a young age, out into the lands that surround his home. Hoping that someday, he will eventually find the place that he is destined to find. When he comes back, and he always comes back eventually, he is left to more thoughtful moments, and more reminders that he will never ever really belong.
  • BROKEN GLASS
Basic idea: a secondary plot to THE FLEDGLING WHO WONDERS
Wondering is such an odd thing. It can lead to success, happiness, and great inventions in the minds of some, though what consequences are there to be found? Like a glass shattering against the ground, the ones the Fledgling loves will be lost in the inconsistent ways of his wandering wonders. Some will stay intact, just barely, others though will turn sharp and pointy, forever broken. Forever lost, some things can never be brought back, some glasses can’t be recreated. Of course, new ones will be added, placed in the cabinet, new friendships and new cats to love and protect. But even just a few who no longer trust him can spread out into the future, and life will always be a little shattered.




ANGELIC -
Basic idea: a cat so pressured by a simple title that they attempt to become what they are called
Titles are signs of glory, love, or hatred. They are gifts, yet sometimes become even more pressure than the path it took to achieve them. A dancing crane, who is called nothing short of a very angel. Will he ever live up to the gift of the title? Some days it is easy, to be perfect. To shine with glory and angelic ease, like the hardest challenges are simply handed over on a gilded platter. Others, it seems like he is the one being served on the platter, to be inspected and torn to shreds by all. Eventually, this pressure will be too much for him. He will bow to the weight, and try his best to stand tall enough to regain the respect that was never lost. This angel tries not to be broken, tries too hard to become the one thing that everyone wants to be, yet no one is: completely and utterly perfect in every way.




ACCIDENTS -
basic idea: at one point in his life, Crane does something bad, and it drives him insane
Actions may be large or small, be good or bad. Everyone does actions throughout their lives, and they shape who you become. The Dancing Crane tries to be a good cat, tries to always make his actions those deserving of being rescued. However, at one point in his life, he does something large. Something that shatters his view of himself, makes him unworthy. To keep up his perfect image, he might lie or steal and someone ends up seriously hurt. He will start to see himself as not worthy of being rescued as a kit, as if he somehow disappointed everyone in the world. He will start refusing gifts from Cherubim, start hiding away in his nest. This will eventually be the reason he runs from the Angel’s Choir. After all, an angel with stained wings can never return to the sky. He will hope that maybe a new place will cure him of his evil, though it will be something he always remembers.




Smaller path ideas

Will Crane stay in the Angel’s Choir?
Note: this is explained in part in ACCIDENTS
In the end, The Dancing Crane will decide that the Angel’s Choir is not the right place for him. He does something so big that he decides he must leave, to not hurt anyone he loves. He will run away in the night, and after spending a few moons as a loner he will join a clan.
Because if the bounty placed on deserters, I imagine that after this will make him a very paranoid cat. He will always be looking behind his back, and never fully trust any of his new clan mates.

Will Northern ever start a family?
At first, Crane will be against the idea of ever getting a mate or having kits. He will be too worried that he would hurt them, and even push away his own family. I do imagine though, that one day he will be exploring and find a few kits tucked into a log or a whole in the ground. His own little angels.
He will adopt the kits, and I do think at that point he might rejoin the Angel’s Choir, if they allow him, as he feels the kits should not grow up alone.

Last edited by _melon_kitten_ (March 7, 2026 23:14:26)

_melon_kitten_
Scratcher
100+ posts

Wip






❝ THE SINGER OF LOSS AND SALVATION ❞
credits








A DANCING CRANE
THROUGH LOSS AND SALVATION











CREDITS

Writing and formatting
꒰ @_Melon_Kitten_ ꒱

Litter
꒰ @ ꒱

Design
꒰ @ ꒱

Last edited by _melon_kitten_ (Feb. 26, 2026 01:18:46)

Powered by DjangoBB