Discuss Scratch

savaka
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Boolean variables :D

Scratch will not have variable types. But there are no data types so a true boolean block is just “true” so just type that.
MushroomMan99
Scratcher
100+ posts

I support!

when green flag clicked
if <(language) = [English ]> then

say [Everything is Awesome!] for (2) secs
end
if <(language) = [French ]> then

say [Tout est super-genial!] for (2) secs
end
if <(language) = [Italian ]> then

say [E meraviglioso!] for (2) secs
end
if <(language) = [Spanish ]> then

say [Todo es fabuloso!] for (2) secs
end
jaboyc
Scratcher
100+ posts

YES THIS HAS BEEN SUGGESTED BEFORE!!!
I think that it would be convenient for proffesional Scratchers to use a boolean variable block. It would look like a normal variable and it would have pointy ends. People say its too complicated for new Scrathers but I think that it won't be that confusing. I see that in custom blocks, there is a boolean input so why not make boolean variables? When you click create a new variable, it would give you the default variable shape but if you click on a check box labeled “boolean”, it would become a boolean variable. Why not?

To set a boolean variable, the
set [boolean v] to []
would become
set [boolean v] to <>

It wouldn't be that hard to understand!
Let me know what you guys think!

(Why did I post this even though I know it has been suggested before? I changed the idea a bit than some other people )

Last edited by jaboyc (Sept. 9, 2014 23:28:52)

Check out my amazing game, Scratch Party! I worked so hard on making this so please check it out!

if <(You are cool?)=[true]> then
say [Scratch Party is awesome!]
forever
play Scratch Party! ::custom
end
end
gigapouch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

jaboyc wrote:

YES THIS HAS BEEN SUGGESTED BEFORE!!!
I think that it would be convenient for proffesional Scratchers to use a boolean variable block. It would look like a normal variable and it would have pointy ends. People say its too complicated for new Scrathers but I think that it won't be that confusing. I see that in custom blocks, there is a boolean input so why not make boolean variables? When you click create a new variable, it would give you the default variable shape but if you click on a check box labeled “boolean”, it would become a boolean variable. Why not?

To set a boolean variable, the
set [boolean v] to []
would become
set [boolean v] to <>

It wouldn't be that hard to understand!
Let me know what you guys think!

(Why did I post this even though I know it has been suggested before? I changed the idea a bit than some other people )

Or you could just store either “false” or “true” in a normal variable and do this:

if <(booleanvar) = [true ]> then
do true scripts
else
do false scripts

I have a Steam account. If you have one too, feel free to add me to your friends list.
Also check out my YouTube channel if you like the outdoors, Minecraft, cars, roller coasters, etc.
stickfiregames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

No support. You can already put booleans in a
set [variable v] to []
and
<(variable) = [true]>
isn't that hard to do.

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!

or you just used Inspect Element, you hacker

;
jaboyc
Scratcher
100+ posts

Yes I know. Don't you think Boolean variables would make things simpler? It would also introduce booleans to new scratchers so they could get familiar with them.

Check out my amazing game, Scratch Party! I worked so hard on making this so please check it out!

if <(You are cool?)=[true]> then
say [Scratch Party is awesome!]
forever
play Scratch Party! ::custom
end
end
gigapouch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

stickfiregames wrote:

No support. You can already put booleans in a
set [variable v] to []
and
<(variable) = [true]>
isn't that hard to do.
True.

I have a Steam account. If you have one too, feel free to add me to your friends list.
Also check out my YouTube channel if you like the outdoors, Minecraft, cars, roller coasters, etc.
Interkey
Scratcher
78 posts

Actually, you can use variables to function as different types of variables:
if <touching [Sprite1 v] ?> then

set [touching sprite1? v] to [true]
end
if <not <touching [Sprite1 v] ?>> then
set [touching sprite1? v] to [false]
end

Ads:One small project for Interkey, one giant leap for Interkey's coding!/Rockin' in a winter wonder land/Check out this new studio!

say [♫♫Keep on Scratchin'♫♫]
NNNPPPBBB
Scratcher
100+ posts

jvvg wrote:

You can just set a variable to zero or one, and check if it equals one.
I know… it would just make it a whole lot easier.

Diamond_Projects wrote:

Don't forget:
set [ v] to [true v]
And I support.
support on this one.

does your word mind want a challenge? click here.
black link
Hello I am NNNPPAAAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH MY SIGNATURE'S BEING EATEN BY A KUMQ—
{the sound of silence}

;
photopolaraccoustic
Scratcher
42 posts

My variabools API is designed to make boolean as well as numeric variables! here is a link: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/67760866/
gdpr533f604550b2f20900645890
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support! It would be a huge time saver if we could just insert a boolean variable into a hexagonal boolean slot instead of doing "<(booleanVariable) = [true]>."

Last edited by gdpr533f604550b2f20900645890 (Oct. 13, 2015 22:29:46)

Zekrom01
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Do
set [ v] to [0 ] //or false
set [ v] to [1 ] //or true
no support.

20 something years old
Probably doing college work
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Yay, the topic was reopened just now!
ItchyCatIII
Scratcher
500+ posts

No support.

There is a very simple workaround that not too many people know:

A blank boolean slot returns “false”
<not <>>
without anything in it, returns true.

And for those who have not figured that out, there is the variable method, which may be slightly annoying but not too hard to figure out or do.

Don't you just hate when people advertise in their signatures (and raisin cookies that look like chocolate chip ones. That's just not okay).

#BringItBack
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ItchyCatIII wrote:

No support.

<not <>>

And for those who have not figured that out, there is the variable method, which may be slightly annoying but not too hard to figure out or do.
Can the not<> block store a value? No. In addition, doing <(variable) = > encourages bad programming practices. For a further explanation of my stance, see here.
savaka
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Chibi-Matoran wrote:

ItchyCatIII wrote:

No support.

<not <>>

Can the not<> block store a value? No. In addition, doing <(variable) = > encourages bad programming practices. For a further explanation of my stance, see here.
I made an extension that does this
Zekrom01
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Chibi-Matoran wrote:

ItchyCatIII wrote:

No support.

<not <>>

<offtopic>Scratch is NOT encouraging bad practices. They are making it so students can get ready to do actual coding stuff.

Scratch is meant to get starting users on a low floor, not a high ceiling. Also, = and == can get really confusing because they mean 2 different things. And you do know people under the age of 10 use Scratch, right? .</offtopic>

Last edited by Zekrom01 (Jan. 12, 2016 23:23:39)

20 something years old
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Zekrom01 wrote:

Chibi-Matoran wrote:

ItchyCatIII wrote:

No support.

<not <>>

<offtopic>Scratch is NOT encouraging bad practices. They are making it so students can get ready to do actual coding stuff.

Scratch is meant to get starting users on a low floor, not a high ceiling. Also, = and == can get really confusing because they mean 2 different things. And you do know people under the age of 10 use Scratch, right? .</offtopic>
I wasn't criticizing == in my post. I was saying that Scratchers should be able to directly put a variable in a hexagonal Boolean slot instead of using the comparison operator block. What happens currently is that the Boolean value stored in the variable is casted to a String and compared to the String “true” using the <[] = []> block. Putting a variable in a Boolean slot would not be confusing, and it would actually be more convenient.
Zekrom01
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Chibi-Matoran wrote:

Zekrom01 wrote:

Chibi-Matoran wrote:

ItchyCatIII wrote:

No support.

<not <>>

I wasn't criticizing == in my post. I was saying that Scratchers should be able to directly put a variable in a hexagonal Boolean slot instead of using the comparison operator block. What happens currently is that the Boolean value stored in the variable is casted to a String and compared to the String “true” using the <[] = []> block. Putting a variable in a Boolean slot would not be confusing, and it would actually be more convenient.
yea, and
<(var) = [1 ]>
is just as convenient.

20 something years old
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Zekrom01 wrote:

Chibi-Matoran wrote:

Zekrom01 wrote:

Chibi-Matoran wrote:

ItchyCatIII wrote:

No support.

<not <>>

yea, and
<(var) = [1 ]>
is just as convenient.
No, it isn't.

How to use a Variable's Boolean value:
  1. Click on the Operators category
  2. Drag the <[] = []> block into the Boolean slot
  3. Click the Data category
  4. Drag the variable you want into one operand slot of the = block
  5. Type “true” in the other operand slot

How you should be able to use a Boolean-typed Variable's value:
  1. Click on the Data category