Discuss Scratch

CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

Sorry if this is a duplicate, I found a similar item but it's latest reply was nearly a year ago.

SCHOOL COMPUTERS

Discuss about your school's computers. It can be about their OS, what you can't do on them, what browser they run, how long you have and what you do on them.

RULES:
  • Do not say your school's name or location
    Do not say any of your teachers names
    Follow this

bottom text
gigapouch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

CatsUnited wrote:

Sorry if this is a duplicate, I found a similar item but it's latest reply was nearly a year ago.

SCHOOL COMPUTERS

Discuss about your school's computers. It can be about their OS, what you can't do on them, what browser they run, how long you have and what you do on them.

RULES:
  • Do not say your school's name or location
    Do not say any of your teachers names
    Follow this

At my little brother's school, they are still using Optiplex GX260s and most of ‘em run Windows XP! At my school, for general use we have Optiplex GX620s or Optiplex 725’s or something. For 3D CAD we have these HP Ultrabooks with an i7 and 16 GB of RAM.

I have a Steam account. If you have one too, feel free to add me to your friends list.
Also check out my YouTube channel if you like the outdoors, Minecraft, cars, roller coasters, etc.
natemonster321
Scratcher
500+ posts

School Computers

gigapouch wrote:

CatsUnited wrote:

Sorry if this is a duplicate, I found a similar item but it's latest reply was nearly a year ago.

SCHOOL COMPUTERS

Discuss about your school's computers. It can be about their OS, what you can't do on them, what browser they run, how long you have and what you do on them.

RULES:
  • Do not say your school's name or location
    Do not say any of your teachers names
    Follow this

At my little brother's school, they are still using Optiplex GX260s and most of ‘em run Windows XP! At my school, for general use we have Optiplex GX620s or Optiplex 725’s or something. For 3D CAD we have these HP Ultrabooks with an i7 and 16 GB of RAM.
i7's? That's really good. How did they afford those?

Steam: natemonster321
Youtube: TheUltimateMaleFan Can I haz Internets?~Can I haz huggles?
A kumquat ate my rainbow.
TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

We have Windows 7, but a terrible filter blocking out many good sites. I'm so glad Scratch isn't blocked.


turkey3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

gigapouch wrote:

CatsUnited wrote:

Sorry if this is a duplicate, I found a similar item but it's latest reply was nearly a year ago.

SCHOOL COMPUTERS

Discuss about your school's computers. It can be about their OS, what you can't do on them, what browser they run, how long you have and what you do on them.

RULES:
  • Do not say your school's name or location
    Do not say any of your teachers names
    Follow this

At my little brother's school, they are still using Optiplex GX260s and most of ‘em run Windows XP! At my school, for general use we have Optiplex GX620s or Optiplex 725’s or something. For 3D CAD we have these HP Ultrabooks with an i7 and 16 GB of RAM.
Optiplexes with XP were like the computers of schools.

SpaceKid11
Scratcher
500+ posts

School Computers

We use iPad 3s and iPad Airs running iOS 8.1

gigapouch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

natemonster321 wrote:

gigapouch wrote:

CatsUnited wrote:

Sorry if this is a duplicate, I found a similar item but it's latest reply was nearly a year ago.

SCHOOL COMPUTERS

Discuss about your school's computers. It can be about their OS, what you can't do on them, what browser they run, how long you have and what you do on them.

RULES:
  • Do not say your school's name or location
    Do not say any of your teachers names
    Follow this

At my little brother's school, they are still using Optiplex GX260s and most of ‘em run Windows XP! At my school, for general use we have Optiplex GX620s or Optiplex 725’s or something. For 3D CAD we have these HP Ultrabooks with an i7 and 16 GB of RAM.
i7's? That's really good. How did they afford those?

I meant to say Elitebooks instead of Ultrabooks. I think my school got a grant or something to buy them.

I have a Steam account. If you have one too, feel free to add me to your friends list.
Also check out my YouTube channel if you like the outdoors, Minecraft, cars, roller coasters, etc.
Lightningstep36
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

My school received a grant a couple of years ago, so now all students have school provided Chromebooks. Personally, I prefer using these to having to carry around a bunch of textbooks.

Have a cute, curled up Peridot.
jji7skyline
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

I think they use i5 computers with Windows 7 at my school, I rarely go there.

Last edited by jji7skyline (Jan. 31, 2015 01:42:36)

CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

Our current school computers have Windows 7 on them, but they don't have the latest version of Adobe Flash Player and they have IE10 or IE11 (I'm not sure, my teacher doesn't allow us to look at the computers specs or even the version of IE. 0_0

That was after April 8th. Before, our computers ran Windows XP and had IE8. Only problem was that the less powerful computers still had IE6 and took ages to log in! (And everyone knows about IE6). They had Adobe Flash 9, pretty old and they have Scratch 1.4 (because for some reason our teachers don't want to use 2.0 because it had camera blocks).

At the end of each school term, we could play games, but only Flash Games (which are fine because they are the only games I can play, even at home!) Our school never uses anti-virus or ad blockers, but all those sites were blocked anyway.

Also, I can't do this:

> Youtube because of inappropriate stuff (it can be easily worked around and we can use vimeo)
> Wikipedia because we're supposed to use World Book Web.
> Almost any site where we have to login (Which means we can't use Scratch!)
> Use Google Chrome or Firefox (we have to use IE, teachers can use any browser)
> Use Command Prompt (we can't open it anyway, only teachers)
> Use any painting program other than MS Paint (our computers have GIMP, but has never been used 0_0)
> Download Scratch 2 onto all the computers

bottom text
goldfish678
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

TheHockeyist wrote:

I'm so glad Scratch isn't blocked.
Same.

On the subject of my school's computers, we run Windows 7 Enterprise. All of them. And on the subject of my school's blocking system, it blocks the usual everything-with-a-proxy stuff. They also don't block Google.
CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

Also, I have to go to almost everyone else's computers to help them because they rely on me.

Because of the Don't read the computer's specs rule, the only stuff I know about them are that the powerful ones run

Windows 7 Professional with Aero Theme
Lenovo Thinkstation
An intel proceesor (they won't tell us what processor)

And I learnt Scratch when the computers had

Windows XP Professional
Adobe Flash 9
IE 6 or 8

Once I started using 2.0, I thought that 2.0 was an older version and 1.4 was the newest 0_0

bottom text
CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

goldfish678 wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

I'm so glad Scratch isn't blocked.
Same.

On the subject of my school's computers, we run Windows 7 Enterprise. All of them. And on the subject of my school's blocking system, it blocks the usual everything-with-a-proxy stuff. They also don't block Google.

That's lucky - Our school blocks Scratch!

bottom text
goldfish678
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

CatsUnited wrote:

(we have to use IE, teachers can use any browser)
Wait a second, you're saying that the teachers can use any browser?! That's so unfair. At my school, nobody even notices (except for me) that IE is a horrible ripoff browser that is vulnerable enough to crash your computer. Not even the teachers think to install any other browser. I don't get it. But seriously, the teachers? They're seriously the ones that get to use any browser? I don't think the teachers really even care about what browser they're using.

CatsUnited wrote:

> Wikipedia because we're supposed to use World Book Web.
Yeah, our school encourages World Book Web too. I, personally, think that sure, THE SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS may like World Book Web, but what about US? Do WE look like we want to use World Book Web? For most of us, I'm pretty sure the answer would be no, I'd much rather like it if you unblocked Wikipedia which is a much better source that we're all familiar with, end of story. But of course, THEY don't want to listen to our opinions on any of THAT. Geez, they could at least give us some input about what browser we want…

CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

goldfish678 wrote:

CatsUnited wrote:

(we have to use IE, teachers can use any browser)
Wait a second, you're saying that the teachers can use any browser?! That's so unfair.
Most of them use IE anyway. My music teacher uses Chrome

bottom text
CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

goldfish678 wrote:

CatsUnited wrote:

(we have to use IE, teachers can use any browser)
At my school, nobody even notices (except for me) that IE is a horrible ripoff browser that is vulnerable enough to crash your computer.

On our older computers when they ran IE6, they thought it was fine to have it!

Also, they have a guide to using Windows 98, so maybe I could get some Win98 boot disks from the school

bottom text
gigapouch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

CatsUnited wrote:

Also, I have to go to almost everyone else's computers to help them because they rely on me.

Because of the Don't read the computer's specs rule, the only stuff I know about them are that the powerful ones run

Windows 7 Professional with Aero Theme
Lenovo Thinkstation
An intel proceesor (they won't tell us what processor)

And I learnt Scratch when the computers had

Windows XP Professional
Adobe Flash 9
IE 6 or 8

Once I started using 2.0, I thought that 2.0 was an older version and 1.4 was the newest 0_0

Why can't you read the computer's specs? That's kind of a weird rule… You can look at the specs if you have Windows 7 but pretend to be selecting something in the “Computer” display with the hard drives and USB drives.

I have a Steam account. If you have one too, feel free to add me to your friends list.
Also check out my YouTube channel if you like the outdoors, Minecraft, cars, roller coasters, etc.
CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

gigapouch wrote:

CatsUnited wrote:

Also, I have to go to almost everyone else's computers to help them because they rely on me.

Because of the Don't read the computer's specs rule, the only stuff I know about them are that the powerful ones run

Windows 7 Professional with Aero Theme
Lenovo Thinkstation
An intel proceesor (they won't tell us what processor)

And I learnt Scratch when the computers had

Windows XP Professional
Adobe Flash 9
IE 6 or 8

Once I started using 2.0, I thought that 2.0 was an older version and 1.4 was the newest 0_0

Why can't you read the computer's specs? That's kind of a weird rule… You can look at the specs if you have Windows 7 but pretend to be selecting something in the “Computer” display with the hard drives and USB drives.

I might try it once school starts. (Or when computer starts - we only have about 50 minutes for an entire week, but often the teachers stop us at about 35 - 45 minutes.)

bottom text
gigapouch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

CatsUnited wrote:

gigapouch wrote:

CatsUnited wrote:

Also, I have to go to almost everyone else's computers to help them because they rely on me.

Because of the Don't read the computer's specs rule, the only stuff I know about them are that the powerful ones run

Windows 7 Professional with Aero Theme
Lenovo Thinkstation
An intel proceesor (they won't tell us what processor)

And I learnt Scratch when the computers had

Windows XP Professional
Adobe Flash 9
IE 6 or 8

Once I started using 2.0, I thought that 2.0 was an older version and 1.4 was the newest 0_0

Why can't you read the computer's specs? That's kind of a weird rule… You can look at the specs if you have Windows 7 but pretend to be selecting something in the “Computer” display with the hard drives and USB drives.

I might try it once school starts. (Or when computer starts - we only have about 50 minutes for an entire week, but often the teachers stop us at about 35 - 45 minutes.)

That's it? Your school has some pretty strict rules!

I have a Steam account. If you have one too, feel free to add me to your friends list.
Also check out my YouTube channel if you like the outdoors, Minecraft, cars, roller coasters, etc.
CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

The only time we had to use a browser other than IE was when we went onto code.org for the Hour of Code.

For me, it was soooooooooooo easy because of Scratch. I did find a

count from counter {[1] :: sensing} to {[200] :: sensing} by {[1] :: sensing} :: sound cstart

end

Which was similar to Snap! 's
for (i) = (1) to (200) :: control cstart

end

Last edited by CatsUnited (Jan. 31, 2015 02:59:04)


bottom text

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile