Discuss Scratch

elfin8er
Scratcher
100+ posts

We should make a group game/application

I think it would be fun (yet pretty challenging) to create a game or application together as a group. We'd have to start with a game genre, and start thinking up ideas for the game. Then we'd need to pick a programming language, and we'd probably need to pick a leader that's fluent in the language we pick. They'd manage the github repo, and make final decisions for the game (however, I think we should collectively come up with the ideas). It wouldn't be perfect, but I think it'd be tons of fun!

Personally, I'd love to create an old-style DOS text based game in C++. Like something that could actually run on an old DOS machine (or DOSBox). However, I doubt anybody else would like that idea xD Plus, I'm not the best at C++. My second choice would be to create some kind of Java game (again, I'm all for text-based games for some reason. Love coding them!). But, since this is a group project, we have to all decide together.

So what do you guys think of the idea? Once/if the project get's off the ground, we'll appoint a leader, and then appoint graphic artists, coders, and sound engineers (if we can find any xD)
gtoal
Scratcher
1000+ posts

elfin8er wrote:

I think it would be fun (yet pretty challenging) to create a game or application together as a group. We'd have to start with a game genre, and start thinking up ideas for the game. Then we'd need to pick a programming language, and we'd probably need to pick a leader that's fluent in the language we pick. They'd manage the github repo, and make final decisions for the game (however, I think we should collectively come up with the ideas). It wouldn't be perfect, but I think it'd be tons of fun!

Personally, I'd love to create an old-style DOS text based game in C++. Like something that could actually run on an old DOS machine (or DOSBox). However, I doubt anybody else would like that idea xD Plus, I'm not the best at C++. My second choice would be to create some kind of Java game (again, I'm all for text-based games for some reason. Love coding them!). But, since this is a group project, we have to all decide together.

So what do you guys think of the idea? Once/if the project get's off the ground, we'll appoint a leader, and then appoint graphic artists, coders, and sound engineers (if we can find any xD)

Why would you want to do this in some other language? Everyone here speaks Scratch …

G
elfin8er
Scratcher
100+ posts

gtoal wrote:

elfin8er wrote:

Why would you want to do this in some other language? Everyone here speaks Scratch …

G
Because this is AT, and most of us have moved on from Scratch
bobbybee
Scratcher
1000+ posts

elfin8er wrote:

gtoal wrote:

elfin8er wrote:

G
Because this is AT, and most of us have moved on from Scratch

I use Scratch nowadays like a lot of people might use languages like brain****. Scratch is like an esoteric language to me. Figuring out tricks like fast bitwise operators and goto statements is a nice mental exercise to me (currently doing an NES emulator in Scratch, because, it's interesting)

“Ooo, can I call you Señorita Bee?” ~Chibi-Matoran
elfin8er
Scratcher
100+ posts

bobbybee wrote:

(currently doing an NES emulator in Scratch, because, it's interesting)
Huh, interesting! Seems like it'd be really slow though xD
goldfish678
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Well, if you want to make a text-based game I think we should make it in Batch.
djdolphin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

goldfish678 wrote:

Pros:
- Text based

Cons:
- Ancient and rarely updated
- Doesn't run on any OSes other than Windows
- Not as flexible as other languages

!
MegaApuTurkUltra
Scratcher
1000+ posts

elfin8er wrote:

bobbybee wrote:

Interesting. Maybe I should try making a Sega Genesis emulator in Scratch. Seems like it would be super challenging.

$(".box-head")[0].textContent = "committing AT crimes since $whenever"
nathanprocks
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

elfin8er wrote:

bobbybee wrote:

Interesting. Maybe I should try making a Sega Genesis emulator in Scratch. Seems like it would be super challenging.
About a week ago I thought about making an emulator in Scratch. I found this emulator guide which probably has everything you need to know about writing an emulator. It is in C but it could be ported. I started making an 8080 disassembler like the one on the website, but in Scratch instead of C. I probably should have used C. I kind of stopped after eight CPU instructions and continued working on a different project because it was way too much work to do.

My browser / operating system: Macrosoft Winding XO, Internet Exploder 6.0, Angel Player ver.:1.2.5
;
ChocolatePi
Scratcher
1000+ posts

C is the programming language of God. We should use it.
goldfish678
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ChocolatePi wrote:

But C looks so complicated…
ChocolatePi
Scratcher
1000+ posts

goldfish678 wrote:

ChocolatePi wrote:

But C looks so complicated…
the universe is complicated; it does not mean we should hate it and not exploit it for our personal gain. (was I talking out loud for that last part?)
elfin8er
Scratcher
100+ posts

Yea, I was looking into C and C++. I don't completely know them, but they seem like the way to go as long as you're willing to work really hard.
technoboy10
Scratcher
1000+ posts

elfin8er wrote:

bobbybee wrote:

Not on phosphorus!

trans rights are human rights
Thepuzzlegame
Scratcher
1000+ posts

goldfish678 wrote:

I can write batch but the language is rather clunky and as djdolphin said it only runs on windows.

hi!
bobbybee
Scratcher
1000+ posts

technoboy10 wrote:

elfin8er wrote:

bobbybee wrote:

Not on phosphorus!

Unfortunately, drawing to the screen with pen is pretty slow, even on Phosphorous (I have to set individual colours). Any idea for speeding it up would be much appreciated!

Last edited by bobbybee (Jan. 20, 2015 00:59:01)

“Ooo, can I call you Señorita Bee?” ~Chibi-Matoran
MegaApuTurkUltra
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bobbybee wrote:

technoboy10 wrote:

elfin8er wrote:

bobbybee wrote:

Not on phosphorus!

Unfortunately, drawing to the screen with pen is pretty slow, even on Phosphorous (I have to set individual colours). Any idea for speeding it up would be much appreciated!
Hmm maybe have clones and costumes? Clone limit would prevent high res though, and the costume caching thing I'm always complaining about would probably be a source of lag

$(".box-head")[0].textContent = "committing AT crimes since $whenever"
Superdoggy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Nevermind!!! xD

Looks like somebody necroposted (and had their post removed), bumping this up to the first page. Lol I guess I didn't bother to check the date on the first post but at least I'm pretty sure I'm not the one who necroposted. xD

This sounds fun - not sure if I'd be up for it or not though. lol I only know a single language (C#) but I do know it pretty well, I could probably learn other languages if I tried. xD

However, an AT collab sounds fun - technically if we did it in Scratch, somebody could make a “Scratch-Hub” for contributions like github…

Edit: lol does everybody know some form of C? I suppose I would probably do alright programming in a different form of C than C#… I can't imagine the differences would be too difficult.

xD lol I'm already busy doing other programming things (namely making my own C# XNA games) so I really shouldn't be getting involved xD but it sounds fun. Maybe I'll just follow this discussion to see where it goes.

Also I would suggest that the advanced project would be an advanced game rather than an emulator - emulators are cool but they don't really get enough attention, and for a large collaboration I think it probably might be wasted effort.

Last edited by Superdoggy (April 17, 2015 00:31:33)

__init__
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I'd say javascript, because it's something we all know.

thisandagain pls explain
ChocolatePi
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Superdoggy wrote:

This sounds fun - not sure if I'd be up for it or not though. lol I only know a single language (C#) but I do know it pretty well, I could probably learn other languages if I tried. xD

However, an AT collab sounds fun - technically if we did it in Scratch, somebody could make a “Scratch-Hub” for contributions like github…

Edit: lol does everybody know some form of C? I suppose I would probably do alright programming in a different form of C than C#… I can't imagine the differences would be too difficult.

xD lol I'm already busy doing other programming things (namely making my own C# XNA games) so I really shouldn't be getting involved xD but it sounds fun. Maybe I'll just follow this discussion to see where it goes.

Also I would suggest that the advanced project would be an advanced game rather than an emulator - emulators are cool but they don't really get enough attention, and for a large collaboration I think it probably might be wasted effort.
This topic has been dead for three months.