Discuss Scratch

Chibi-Matoran
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Block Front-Paged Scratchers From Getting Front-Paged Again Soon

There are many talented, popular Scratchers who often get front paged, but there are many more Scratchers who have never gotten front paged or only got up there a few times. Therefore, I propose that when a Scratcher gets front-paged, s/he is blocked from becoming front-paged again for an amount of time, which may be suggested, so others may have a chance, this way, popular Scratchers won't dominate the Scratch homepage and more Scratchers and projects are exposed.

Last edited by Chibi-Matoran (Dec. 26, 2014 06:51:08)


If you see this signature while scrolling, you have been visited by ʎ++ haskal. Lazy evaluation, monads, function purity, lambdas, currying, partial application, algebraic data types, pattern matching, and typeclasses will come to you, but only if you comment, “Thanks, ʎ++ haskal” on my profile.

Cassian && ||
Superdoggy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Block Front-Paged Scratchers From Getting Front-Paged Again Soon

Chibi-Matoran wrote:

There are many talented, popular Scratchers who often get front paged, but there are many more Scratchers who have never gotten front paged or only got up there a few times. Therefore, I propose that when a Scratcher gets front-paged, s/he is blocked from becoming front-paged again for an amount of time, which may be suggested, so others may have a chance, this way, popular Scratchers won't dominate the Scratch homepage and more Scratchers and projects are exposed.

Absolutely no support. Doesn't mean much from me without an explanation - so here goes:

The system is already very socialist - you can't have more than one project on the front page (even if you genuinely have two that are extremely well made) you can't get featured unless you barely have any love-its, and advertising / spam is discouraged at every turn. There is also a limit on how long your project can appear in top loved. The follower / following numbers were removed because it would decrease competition to do that. Game badges are discouraged because some might feel unequal and quit (wait where did that logic come from? This rarely happens in real life - there's awards given out all the time…) But anyway, my point wasn't exactly to question the system, but point out that it is already very socialist.

As you can see/hear from news stories about Cuba, socialism doesn't work very well. You simply can't make everything equal. The more you try, the more things will slowly fail / lose quality.

Anyway, that's a little off topic. But my point is - why are we trying to make every project have equal love-its, even when the projects themselves are unequal? For example when I make an epic project (like always xDDD jk) why should I have to wait to share my next one if I want it to get frontpaged? To me, that seems to discourage older / more popular Scratchers.

My suggestion for the amount of time is 0. Not seven days, like it is currently. Not 7+ days like you're suggesting. What do I mean? I think that if a Scratcher shares 3 amazing projects (famous or not) that all qualify for the front page at the same time, then I think that there should be no limit and all three could get front paged.

-Superdoggy








































kateskipper
Scratcher
100+ posts

Block Front-Paged Scratchers From Getting Front-Paged Again Soon

Superdoggy wrote:

Chibi-Matoran wrote:

There are many talented, popular Scratchers who often get front paged, but there are many more Scratchers who have never gotten front paged or only got up there a few times. Therefore, I propose that when a Scratcher gets front-paged, s/he is blocked from becoming front-paged again for an amount of time, which may be suggested, so others may have a chance, this way, popular Scratchers won't dominate the Scratch homepage and more Scratchers and projects are exposed.

Absolutely no support. Doesn't mean much from me without an explanation - so here goes:

The system is already very socialist - you can't have more than one project on the front page (even if you genuinely have two that are extremely well made) you can't get featured unless you barely have any love-its, and advertising / spam is discouraged at every turn. There is also a limit on how long your project can appear in top loved. The follower / following numbers were removed because it would decrease competition to do that. Game badges are discouraged because some might feel unequal and quit (wait where did that logic come from? This rarely happens in real life - there's awards given out all the time…) But anyway, my point wasn't exactly to question the system, but point out that it is already very socialist.

As you can see/hear from news stories about Cuba, socialism doesn't work very well. You simply can't make everything equal. The more you try, the more things will slowly fail / lose quality.

Anyway, that's a little off topic. But my point is - why are we trying to make every project have equal love-its, even when the projects themselves are unequal? For example when I make an epic project (like always xDDD jk) why should I have to wait to share my next one if I want it to get frontpaged? To me, that seems to discourage older / more popular Scratchers.

My suggestion for the amount of time is 0. Not seven days, like it is currently. Not 7+ days like you're suggesting. What do I mean? I think that if a Scratcher shares 3 amazing projects (famous or not) that all qualify for the front page at the same time, then I think that there should be no limit and all three could get front paged.

-Superdoggy
I agree!

“Be thoughtful, be creative, be a Scratcher”
~kateskipper
Scratchifier
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Block Front-Paged Scratchers From Getting Front-Paged Again Soon

No support for reasons stated above.

I hope you do realize that you don't get *ahem* well-known on Scratch by repeatedly trying to hurt the competition. A lot of the time, it's because a well-known Scratcher (like me…) notices you.

For example, Tcodina, and then I, noticed Grannycookies…

I found AlphaAxle's shift-like project early on and gave it a boost…

There was this project here http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/19767747/ which was linked to me by the project owner, through my studio “The Studio Of Good Stuff You Want To See”. I suggested to be curated, and now it has 944 loves, more than a single project of mine has been able to reach.

Same studio, star wars game that somebody linked to me. Had 8 loves in two months, it was the first project of an awesome Scratcher named “Zeus98”. I loved it, put it in my studio. In five days, it has 25 loves.

Same studio, user here: http://scratch.mit.edu/users/jimmyc5/ I've tried to get his work as popular as possible, he came through my studio. Gotten him curated and advertised several times. Also pulled out the follow on that one. 163 followers since I followed him. 37 followers before I followed. I can also tell you that the time is lopsided there.

Putting another front page limit is just going to harm a few Scratchers, annoy some others, and let one or two more have access to the front page.

No support.
PrincessPanda_test_
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Block Front-Paged Scratchers From Getting Front-Paged Again Soon

No support for the above reasons



On a Sunday, riding my bike,
I notice, I notice, different things that look alike
On a Sunday, riding my bike,
I notice, I notice, many many things that look alike





Click the image for something special!

Wanna collab on something Sonic?
Centrifugal
Scratcher
500+ posts

Block Front-Paged Scratchers From Getting Front-Paged Again Soon

PrincessPanda_test_ wrote:

No support for the above reasons

Settlers of Inland - Age of Ƭɍeasoƞ

BombTv
Scratcher
51 posts

Block Front-Paged Scratchers From Getting Front-Paged Again Soon

PrincessPanda_test_ wrote:

No support for the above reasons

Hey, did anyone find this? if you did, then comment “I found it.” on my profile.
BombTv is my name! I come from Nowhere! Shoutout to my homie Bob!
Chibi-Matoran
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Block Front-Paged Scratchers From Getting Front-Paged Again Soon

Superdoggy wrote:

Chibi-Matoran wrote:

There are many talented, popular Scratchers who often get front paged, but there are many more Scratchers who have never gotten front paged or only got up there a few times. Therefore, I propose that when a Scratcher gets front-paged, s/he is blocked from becoming front-paged again for an amount of time, which may be suggested, so others may have a chance, this way, popular Scratchers won't dominate the Scratch homepage and more Scratchers and projects are exposed.

Absolutely no support. Doesn't mean much from me without an explanation - so here goes:

The system is already very socialist - you can't have more than one project on the front page (even if you genuinely have two that are extremely well made) you can't get featured unless you barely have any love-its, and advertising / spam is discouraged at every turn. There is also a limit on how long your project can appear in top loved. The follower / following numbers were removed because it would decrease competition to do that. Game badges are discouraged because some might feel unequal and quit (wait where did that logic come from? This rarely happens in real life - there's awards given out all the time…) But anyway, my point wasn't exactly to question the system, but point out that it is already very socialist.

As you can see/hear from news stories about Cuba, socialism doesn't work very well. You simply can't make everything equal. The more you try, the more things will slowly fail / lose quality.

Anyway, that's a little off topic. But my point is - why are we trying to make every project have equal love-its, even when the projects themselves are unequal? For example when I make an epic project (like always xDDD jk) why should I have to wait to share my next one if I want it to get frontpaged? To me, that seems to discourage older / more popular Scratchers.

My suggestion for the amount of time is 0. Not seven days, like it is currently. Not 7+ days like you're suggesting. What do I mean? I think that if a Scratcher shares 3 amazing projects (famous or not) that all qualify for the front page at the same time, then I think that there should be no limit and all three could get front paged.

-Superdoggy
I disagree. You're saying this would let unequal projects get equal love-its, but there are many factors other than quality that determines how well-known a project is. Like your brother said, Scratchers became popular because already-popular Scratchers noticed them. Also, you're saying that there shouldn't be any limit on the front page, but popular Scratchers should be thankful for their frequent front-pages, because there are many talented, unknown Scratchers who have never been front paged.

I'm seeing patterns about whose projects are in the “What the Community is Loving” row, and I'm tired of seeing the same old Scratchers. We need to give everyone a fair chance.

Last edited by Chibi-Matoran (Dec. 26, 2014 17:44:04)


If you see this signature while scrolling, you have been visited by ʎ++ haskal. Lazy evaluation, monads, function purity, lambdas, currying, partial application, algebraic data types, pattern matching, and typeclasses will come to you, but only if you comment, “Thanks, ʎ++ haskal” on my profile.

Cassian && ||
Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Block Front-Paged Scratchers From Getting Front-Paged Again Soon

Support. It bugs me when I see Scratchers get project after project on the front page just because they've already established themselves a little while back, generally by a chance feature/curate.

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
Chibi-Matoran
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Block Front-Paged Scratchers From Getting Front-Paged Again Soon

Firedrake969 wrote:

Support. It bugs me when I see Scratchers get project after project on the front page just because they've already established themselves a little while back, generally by a chance feature/curate.
Thanks for the support; I really appreciate it.

If you see this signature while scrolling, you have been visited by ʎ++ haskal. Lazy evaluation, monads, function purity, lambdas, currying, partial application, algebraic data types, pattern matching, and typeclasses will come to you, but only if you comment, “Thanks, ʎ++ haskal” on my profile.

Cassian && ||
Scratchifier
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Block Front-Paged Scratchers From Getting Front-Paged Again Soon

“…because there are many talented, unknown Scratchers who have never been front paged.”

Like the ones on the featured row?

I've tried to get on there multiple times and never have because I'm “too famous”. Yet the featured row is the most powerful row in all of Scratch. And it goes not to the amazing projects that take months by famous Scratchers because they are already “too popular!!! ! ! ! !”

Now you want to take the front page away from the “regulars”. Don't mind me, but I predict a bunch of quitters.

Deerleg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Block Front-Paged Scratchers From Getting Front-Paged Again Soon

Firedrake969 wrote:

Support. It bugs me when I see Scratchers get project after project on the front page just because they've already established themselves a little while back, generally by a chance feature/curate.
Agreed. And if a person has just one featured project, it's very likely that the people viewing it will check out the user's other projects, and thus the other good projects the user has made would also be likely to be seen.



KingOfAwesome58219
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Block Front-Paged Scratchers From Getting Front-Paged Again Soon

Firedrake969 wrote:

Support. It bugs me when I see Scratchers get project after project on the front page just because they've already established themselves a little while back, generally by a chance feature/curate.
I'm with Firedrake - These scratchers already get enough attention.



stickfiregames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Block Front-Paged Scratchers From Getting Front-Paged Again Soon

Deerleg wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

Support. It bugs me when I see Scratchers get project after project on the front page just because they've already established themselves a little while back, generally by a chance feature/curate.
Agreed. And if a person has just one featured project, it's very likely that the people viewing it will check out the user's other projects, and thus the other good projects the user has made would also be likely to be seen.
I agree with this. Support.










If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!




or you just used Inspect Element, you hacker

;
Scratchifier
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Block Front-Paged Scratchers From Getting Front-Paged Again Soon

They get enough attention already? Seriously!!??

Who are you to say what is enough attention? That just sounds jealous to me, in fact, this whole thread does.

@Chibi-Matoran

You said: "I'm seeing patterns about whose projects are in the “What the Community is Loving” row, and I'm tired of seeing the same old Scratchers."


That doesn't seem very nice. I don't think that it's very true either.

Last edited by Scratchifier (Dec. 27, 2014 13:32:28)

Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Block Front-Paged Scratchers From Getting Front-Paged Again Soon

You say we're jealous? How about me saying you just want to keep your projects on the front page?

As I said, I have NO motivation to be jealous because I don't even make projects any more (since I've moved on a long time ago)

Being moderately known here (not using the other term on purpose ) is a feedback loop - others see one good project, want to see more, and it feeds back, keeping those Scratchers making those projects afloat although there may be other projects just as good or better that aren't being seen just because all the attention is already being taken.

I think I have the right to say that, because although I've gotten my fair share of front pages, I've never made it the primary reason why I Scratch. With that reason, I include the verbal trap “I just make it to feel good when people view it”, because it's the exact same thing. It's pretty obvious about peoples' biases about this, though - those who regularly get front paged just because of a lucky feature/curate don't want their feel-good feeling about getting front-paged taken away, but those who haven't been front-paged often feel like the spotlight should be taken away from people just because of the vicious cycle of front-paging. I've been both those people, I understand both sides, and I agree with the latter group.

Mean things can be true.

Lol, I keep editing because I don't want to double post. Imagine every paragraph as a separate post.

Last edited by Firedrake969 (Dec. 26, 2014 19:24:06)


'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
Centrifugal
Scratcher
500+ posts

Block Front-Paged Scratchers From Getting Front-Paged Again Soon

Scratchifier wrote:

They get enough attention already? Seriously!!??

Who are you to say what is enough attention? That just sounds jealous to me, in fact, this whole thread does.

@Chibi-Matoran

I'm seeing patterns about whose projects are in the “What the Community is Loving” row, and I'm tired of seeing the same old Scratchers.


That doesn't seem very nice. I don't think that it's very true either.
^^^^

Last edited by Centrifugal (Dec. 26, 2014 19:54:24)


Settlers of Inland - Age of Ƭɍeasoƞ

Superdoggy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Block Front-Paged Scratchers From Getting Front-Paged Again Soon

Firedrake969 wrote:

You say we're jealous? How about me saying you just want to keep your projects on the front page?

As I said, I have NO motivation to be jealous because I don't even make projects any more (since I've moved on a long time ago)

Being moderately known here (not using the other term on purpose ) is a feedback loop - others see one good project, want to see more, and it feeds back, keeping those Scratchers making those projects afloat although there may be other projects just as good or better that aren't being seen just because all the attention is already being taken.

I think I have the right to say that, because although I've gotten my fair share of front pages, I've never made it the primary reason why I Scratch. With that reason, I include the verbal trap “I just make it to feel good when people view it”, because it's the exact same thing. It's pretty obvious about peoples' biases about this, though - those who regularly get front paged just because of a lucky feature/curate don't want their feel-good feeling about getting front-paged taken away, but those who haven't been front-paged often feel like the spotlight should be taken away from people just because of the vicious cycle of front-paging. I've been both those people, I understand both sides, and I agree with the latter group.

Mean things can be true.

Lol, I keep editing because I don't want to double post. Imagine every paragraph as a separate post.

Uh, seriously? You say you're not jealous? Then why are you denigrating all of the work the FAMOUS Scratchers do to get popular? I say famous because here's the truth, which you will eventually have to accept if you want success in programming. I'm speaking for successful Scratchers here: No matter how the system is set up, no matter how many roadblocks you stick in our path - we will still shine. You can tell me that I'm only popular because of a lucky feature/curate but the truth is, I'm popular because I'm excellent at programming. That's not even an arrogant statement, because it's true. If you seriously are going to tell me that all 3 (almost) years of my work and gaining recognition is luck, then I am going to have to ignore every single post you make on the forums because in the back of my mind I will know that it is clouded by a wall of jealousy. I'm not trying to be mean here or anything - but please have a little respect for those who are working their best to make projects to make others happy. Sure, I love it when my projects to get front paged. But know this - the reason I care about these views, love-its, popularity is this: I genuinely love it when people play my work and enjoy it. If they're not happy - I'm not happy.

If you're saying that we have had “enough” fame, and we don't “deserve any more” then you are jealous. 90% of those Scratchers that regularly get front paged make inspiring projects and are a huge part of the community. If you want to punish us for that… well… then I can only see hatred, greed, and jealousy in your post.

EDIT: my post is a little negative, sorry about that. A better explanation of how I feel about this is in the bible - which I believe you may recognize. If I remember correctly, you're Catholic? ;P anyway, if you don't mind, I would like you to read the parable of the talents: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew%2025:14-30&version=KJV . To others, please don't feel offended about the bit of Scripture I'm adding to this post - if you must just ignore it, but I think it's the best way to get my point across. Thanks.

Last edited by Superdoggy (Dec. 26, 2014 22:52:55)









































RPFluffy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Block Front-Paged Scratchers From Getting Front-Paged Again Soon

So you're basically telling the community to stop making front-pager projects so people like you can get on.

No support, for your arrogance, I disapprove… (no offense)

I have seen front page scratchers who ONLY HAVE 5 FOLLOWERS, it is sad to see someone discourage unpopular people get front paged.
I find this absurd, I have no popularity, yet I praise the unpopular.

:'(

Nothing Is EVER 100%, that is just an assumption.















Some important links: Here and here or need help click Here. Eats followers, Loves helping people.
My “..” and “…” are not spelling mistakes, it means that they are ways of telling someone that I can continue more about it and that the sentence isn't ended the best way. I like putting new indents and lines so I can split up what I am talking about.




































Some important links: Here and here or need help click Here. Eats followers, Loves helping people. Check this MMO out! Kiwi = Support WHAT THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE: Through the drop down ;)
if <> :: control cstart

else :: control
end
AonymousGuy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Block Front-Paged Scratchers From Getting Front-Paged Again Soon

Superdoggy wrote:

Uh, seriously? You say you're not jealous? Then why are you denigrating all of the work the FAMOUS Scratchers do to get popular?
Every Scratcher puts in a lot of work - why are you saying your work is more important?

Superdoggy wrote:

I say famous because here's the truth, which you will eventually have to accept if you want success in programming. I'm speaking for successful Scratchers here:
I thought you were speaking for "FAMOUS" Scratchers?

Superdoggy wrote:

No matter how the system is set up, no matter how many roadblocks you stick in our path - we will still shine.
Nobody is “roadblocking” anybody. If what you say is true, having Scratchers only be able to be on the front page every few days won't hurt you. All it will do is let other Scratchers be on the front page.

Superdoggy wrote:

You can tell me that I'm only popular because of a lucky feature/curate but the truth is, I'm popular because I'm excellent at programming.
But a lot of people are not you, and are popular because of a lucky feature or curate:

Scratchifier wrote:

A lot of the time, it's because a well-known Scratcher (like me…) notices you.
And aside from that, I am good at programming, but I've never been front-paged. It isn't because of good programming that people get popular, but good aesthetics. What I mean is that the first project I linked to, which has much more advanced programming than the second, is much less popular than the second project, which has terrible programming but a somewhat nice look. (These are both my projects, so I can speak personally)

Superdoggy wrote:

That's not even an arrogant statement, because it's true. If you seriously are going to tell me that all 3 (almost) years of my work and gaining recognition is luck,
Nobody is saying that yours is, but other people's recognition is.

Superdoggy wrote:

then I am going to have to ignore every single post you make on the forums because in the back of my mind I will know that it is clouded by a wall of jealousy.
I'm not jealous of anyone, but I agree with this suggestion whole-heartedly. I have never had a project front-paged, and I'm never going to, and I don't ever want to. Those people who are arguing for it are doing so, why? Because they want their projects on the front page. Give me another reason and I'll reconsider, but why else would you not like this suggestion? I read your first post, and I find it not very convincing. It's saying that it's not fair for a Scratcher with 3 genuinely good projects to not have them displayed. But those 2 projects take up space for other genuinely good Scratchers. Let me demonstrate with a simplified situation:
  • There are 3 project slots available on the front page.
  • There are 3 Scratchers with 3 genuinely good projects.
  • The first Scratcher gets all his projects on the front page, because they were the first three shared out of all the projects, and there is no limit to how many a Scratcher can have on the front page.
  • The other 2 Scratchers never get the recognition they deserve, because they are passed over and never seen again.
Now obviously this is dealing with a world where someone can have multiple projects on the page, but it's the same idea. The same Scratcher would appear 3 times in a row, stealing one of the other Scratchers' opportunities.

Superdoggy wrote:

I'm not trying to be mean here or anything - but please have a little respect for those who are working their best to make projects to make others happy.
So should you. Almost every Scratcher is working to make projects to please others. And with this, they could fulfill their goal to make people happy because other projects from Scratchers who already got a taste of the front page make room, at least for a month or so.

Superdoggy wrote:

Sure, I love it when my projects to get front paged. But know this - the reason I care about these views, love-its, popularity is this: I genuinely love it when people play my work and enjoy it. If they're not happy - I'm not happy.
Think about all those other people who might not be happy if they don't get a chance to show off their projects.

Superdoggy wrote:

If you're saying that we have had “enough” fame, and we don't “deserve any more” then you are jealous.
Nobody is saying that. The suggestion is not to block front paged Scratchers from every appearing on the front page again - it's to let other Scratchers show off their work by temporarily blocking already-front paged Scratchers from being front-paged again.

Superdoggy wrote:

90% of those Scratchers that regularly get front paged make inspiring projects and are a huge part of the community. If you want to punish us for that… well… then I can only see hatred, greed, and jealousy in your post.
But inspiration can only go so far when it's from the same group of people.

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile