Discuss Scratch

puppy15x
Scratcher
6 posts

Why are school accounts deleted when a class ends?

I've heard that when a class ends, the student accounts are then deleted. This is unfair. What if you could make it so that when a class ends, instead of rudely deleting an account, maybe it's student status will change to “Former Student” and just keep the account. Please change this.
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I don't believe they are deleted, it's just that the student cannot access it anymore.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
iiucandyfloss
Scratcher
1000+ posts

This sounds like a suggestion.

puppy15x wrote:

What if you could make it so that when a class ends, instead of rudely deleting an account, maybe it's student status will change to “Former Student” and just keep the account. Please change this.

Za-Chary wrote:

I don't believe they are deleted, it's just that the student cannot access it anymore.

That allows users to view projects, but former students can lose years of progress and cannot retrieve it except by backpacking from shared projects. But any unshared projects cannot be shared or finished again, which is saddening for the former student.

credits to @happyha8 for image hosting my forum banner -

SK_Stars
Scratcher
13 posts

OH NO, my account will be deleted?

ok thank yo
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

SK_Stars wrote:

OH NO, my account will be deleted?
No. If your teacher ends the class, then you will simply lose access to your account; it will not be deleted. If your teacher doesn't end the class, then nothing will happen.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay