Discuss Scratch

Xzillox
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Are api-based chat projects allowed?

I saw a project which used the scratch api to access comments on the project and put them in the project as a form of live chat. I thought that was kinda cool, and a neat solution to the moderation problem of cloud chat projects (since you can still report comments and it has the scratch filter). However, this project has been taken down and the user was reportedly banned, and everybody says it was because of that project. So I am wondering if a chat project that uses comments in such a way is allowed.

Disclaimer: I can be extremely stupid at times
14 | Professionally soading since 1998™ | Can't view/post images | Useful forum posts | internetometer | weird notebok | 100th post | tax evasion clicker | RIP | 500th post | forum post hall of fame (#2) | 1000TH POST!! | Evolution of the Electric Guitar (essay)

get games off the trending music category!

a cool thing I found: if you type “(c​)” it will show up as ©

I decided to stop using the support convention

give me song suggestions on my profile (I mostly listen to rock and metal)

when tuned to [drop c v] :: hat events
repeat until <drenched in sweat? :: sensing>
blast some epic [system of a down v] riffs :: motion
end

iiii];​)
Fun_Cupcake_i81
Scratcher
1000+ posts

It sounds fine to me, but if the project was putting a significant strain on the Scratch API that could be why.

NullPointerException: myLife does not exist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi! I'm Fun Cupcake and I pop onto the forums every now and then to ask questions or try and help out.
My goal is to help people out and brighten their days!
Also, I do in fact have a voice-acted series. It's a fantasy story and I'd love it if you'd check it out!
You could also check out Sprinkle Town, a town game I created inspired by Stardew Valley! (It's still in very early development stages.)
Xzillox
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fun_Cupcake_i81 wrote:

It sounds fine to me, but if the project was putting a significant strain on the Scratch API that could be why.
That might have been it. The project's design and title was also loosely based around the forbidden blue-purple app which could have factored into it, but that's slightly off-topic.

Also off-topic: 100th post!

Last edited by Xzillox (Dec. 14, 2023 05:50:40)

14 | Professionally soading since 1998™ | Can't view/post images | Useful forum posts | internetometer | weird notebok | 100th post | tax evasion clicker | RIP | 500th post | forum post hall of fame (#2) | 1000TH POST!! | Evolution of the Electric Guitar (essay)

end

iiii];​)
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The combination of chat and API likely did it. API is always a touchy thing because it's often resource-intensive. Chat is always a touchy thing because there are moderation problems. Even if there are many magical safeguards involving a certain chat system, it's just a fact that unrestricted chat does not belong on Scratch. The argument could be made that this particular chat project only used comments posted on the Scratch website, so in that case it's “moderated,” but at that point you might as well just chat using the regular Scratch comments without using an API project.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021. I reached 20,000 forum posts on June 24th 2024.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
cookieclickerer33
Scratcher
1000+ posts

You aren’t allowed to post comments automatically using the api. It’s that simple

⠀ ⠀ I beat Mario 64 yay! ⠀⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ I love you ivy & may :3
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀ ⠀GEOMETRY DASH

GlitchedThrough
New Scratcher
1000+ posts

cookieclickerer33 wrote:

You aren’t allowed to post comments automatically using the api. It’s that simple
That isn’t what it sounds like it did. It sounds like it viewed new comments rather then posting them.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
YouTuber, culinary enthusiast, computer scientist, programmer, Engineer, electric enthusiast, legal aficionado, web dev, electrical engineer, etc
Xzillox
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

The argument could be made that this particular chat project only used comments posted on the Scratch website, so in that case it's “moderated,” but at that point you might as well just chat using the regular Scratch comments without using an API project.
The project made it live so you didn't have to reload. That's really the only difference from actual comments I can think of, so yeah I do agree there's not really much of a benefit.

cookieclickerer33 wrote:

That's not what the project did. It accessed the comments that people posted on the project and put them on the project as a sort of live chat.

Last edited by Xzillox (Dec. 14, 2023 23:16:50)

end

iiii];​)