Discuss Scratch

BobRocks20
Scratcher
100+ posts

Is it OK to talk about PenguinMod?

For those not in the know, PenguinMod is like TurboWarp except it has more features. For example, I remember it can run websites or something like that.

I remember going to the website, and when I got there I noticed that there were relaxed rules on swearing in shared projects. In fact, on the home page, I saw instances of people swearing and stuff.

I think PenguinMod is cool, though with what I just talked about in mind, I don't know if it's safe to bring this mod up on Scratch. I'm worried that a child may come across a project talking about it and look it up out of curiosity, leading to them being exposed to unsafe language. (Though it may seem unlikely, it's still possible.) So is it OK to talk about PenguinMod?

(Note: I made a section on the talk page for the Scratch Wiki's list of Scratch mods asking if it was ok to include PenguinMod there but it didn't get any attention. I hope posting here at least provides me an answer to my concern.)

Carved upon my stone
My body lies, but still I roam
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

This is maybe slightly separate from your concern, but there is a big “Join our Discord” button at the top of their website. So at the very least I don't think it should be linked to on Scratch.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

BobRocks20 wrote:

For those not in the know, PenguinMod is like TurboWarp except it has more features. For example, I remember it can run websites or something like that.

I remember going to the website, and when I got there I noticed that there were relaxed rules on swearing in shared projects. In fact, on the home page, I saw instances of people swearing and stuff.

I think PenguinMod is cool, though with what I just talked about in mind, I don't know if it's safe to bring this mod up on Scratch. I'm worried that a child may come across a project talking about it and look it up out of curiosity, leading to them being exposed to unsafe language. (Though it may seem unlikely, it's still possible.) So is it OK to talk about PenguinMod?

(Note: I made a section on the talk page for the Scratch Wiki's list of Scratch mods asking if it was ok to include PenguinMod there but it didn't get any attention. I hope posting here at least provides me an answer to my concern.)
If the site is not safe - and it sounds like it isn't - then we shouldn't be encouraging Scratchers to check it out.

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;