Discuss Scratch

Cyoce
Scratcher
500+ posts

Work-arounds

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

Cyoce wrote:

The wiki page with the list of work-arounds is kind of silly; it uses block A for a work-around of block B, and block B as a work-around for block A, for example, which doesn’t really demonstrate how the block works and why.
There are basic blocks that CAN NOT be worked around, such as this:
set [var v] to [8]
If you try to work around with this:
change [var v] by ((var) * (-1))
change [var v] by [8]
you will have essentially gone in a circle.
Exactly. These blocks that cannot be work-arounded would be the “base” blocks: they are the ones used to construct the other work-arounds
RPFluffy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Work-arounds

Cyoce wrote:

RPFluffy wrote:

Cyoce wrote:

RPFluffy wrote:

REALLY like this, these workarounds would help others' make more exact detailed blocks.. if you know what I mean!
I guess these could help people understand what the blocks would do, but that was not my point.
I wasn't saying it would help them understand how they work, more the way of creative thinking and exact functions, I still like these workarounds, will you add more.

And I can't see how someone would understand a block more if it said things so complicated, maybe some programmers trying scratch, but anyways, yeah.. (Terrible ending)
If you’re looking for a serious collection of work-arounds, then I’m afraid you’ve come to the wrong place; this is specifically designed to be as tedious as possible, replacing every possible block that can be replaced with another block. However, I could make a work-arounds collection / project. That could be interesting.
Yeah, make the project!
But you still could make workarounds for other blocks, it wouldn't hurt, and I personally EXPECT it to be tedious..

Nothing Is EVER 100%, that is just an assumption.

Some important links: Here and here or need help click Here. Eats followers, Loves helping people.
My “..” and “…” are not spelling mistakes, it means that they are ways of telling someone that I can continue more about it and that the sentence isn't ended the best way. I like putting new indents and lines so I can split up what I am talking about.

Some important links: Here and here or need help click Here. Eats followers, Loves helping people. Check this MMO out! Kiwi = Support WHAT THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE: Through the drop down ;)
if <> :: control cstart

else :: control
end
peppermintpatty5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Work-arounds

RPFluffy wrote:

Cyoce wrote:

RPFluffy wrote:

Cyoce wrote:

RPFluffy wrote:

REALLY like this, these workarounds would help others' make more exact detailed blocks.. if you know what I mean!
I guess these could help people understand what the blocks would do, but that was not my point.
I wasn't saying it would help them understand how they work, more the way of creative thinking and exact functions, I still like these workarounds, will you add more.

And I can't see how someone would understand a block more if it said things so complicated, maybe some programmers trying scratch, but anyways, yeah.. (Terrible ending)
If you’re looking for a serious collection of work-arounds, then I’m afraid you’ve come to the wrong place; this is specifically designed to be as tedious as possible, replacing every possible block that can be replaced with another block. However, I could make a work-arounds collection / project. That could be interesting.
Yeah, make the project!
But you still could make workarounds for other blocks, it wouldn't hurt, and I personally EXPECT it to be tedious..
I have a head start…

#BringBackDiscuss
RPFluffy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Work-arounds

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

RPFluffy wrote:

Cyoce wrote:

RPFluffy wrote:

Cyoce wrote:

RPFluffy wrote:

Yeah, make the project!
I have a head start…
Nice!

Some important links: Here and here or need help click Here. Eats followers, Loves helping people.
My “..” and “…” are not spelling mistakes, it means that they are ways of telling someone that I can continue more about it and that the sentence isn't ended the best way. I like putting new indents and lines so I can split up what I am talking about.

Some important links: Here and here or need help click Here. Eats followers, Loves helping people. Check this MMO out! Kiwi = Support WHAT THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE: Through the drop down ;)

end
Langdon35
Scratcher
500+ posts

Work-arounds

I support this.

people wrote:

I think ST should add this
letters () through () from item (1) of list [randomlist v] :: operators

other's wrote:

There's a simple workaround!
Blah Blah Hard and Boring!
These are new scratchers!

Last edited by Langdon35 (Dec. 17, 2014 21:14:08)

I'm back with 1 year, 5 months, and 500+ posts!
And that's one more to my post counter! Yeah!
Rex208
Scratcher
500+ posts

Work-arounds

Epicness123 wrote:

There's a way to work around called More Blocks.

I'm trying to say, the point of Scratch is for everything to be basic and to script easily, it was never meant to have anything advanced in it.
More blocks. So, someone finds a workaround and makes a custom block for it.
Someone finds a workaround.
That's not always easy.

RPFluffy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Work-arounds

Epicness123 wrote:

I'm trying to say, the point of Scratch is for everything to be basic and to script easily, it was never meant to have anything advanced in it.
Not true. Scratch is meant to start basic and progressively become more advanced, what you just said defeated the purpose of scratch…

end
Alberknyis
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Work-arounds

Rex208 wrote:

Epicness123 wrote:

More blocks. So, someone finds a workaround and makes a custom block for it.
Someone finds a workaround.
That's not always easy.

It's simple. If there's something too difficult for a new Scratcher to do, let them learn and figure it out for themselves, don't just stick in random blocks whose only purpose is to help them out. There's no point of that.

Is this how you would like the blocks palette to end up?

wait until i receive[ v]::control //Relatively acceptable as a block
<[sprite1 v] is touching [#0000ff] ?::sensing>
when <>::hat events

when [sprite1 v] switches to [ v]::events hat

when [sprite1 v] touches color [#0000ff]:: events hat
(join [] [][]::operators)
change [variable v] by 1::variables
dream []::looks
draw scratch cat::pen //And now blocks that... Aren't really helpful...
<not mouse down?::sensing>
<timer is reset?::sensing>
<<> or < > or <>::operators>
stop [script to the left v]::control
draw nonagon::pen
jump up () steps and move forward until <>::motion //And then really dumb ones like these.
wait until [sprite 1 v] is defeated::control //Would you really reject a workaround to these?

If someone's confused or getting the wrong idea of what I'm saying, this should help.

If the
block::grey

Does an
extremely precise job::grey

Like these:
draw triangle () () () () () ()::pen
<[list v] contains the character [a]?::list>
do smooth glide to x:() y:()::motion

Or the workaround is
WAY TOO SIMPLE::grey

Like these:
<<> or < > or <>::operators>
when <>::hat events
if <> then ::cstart

elif <> then ::celse

else ::celse

end

I would prefer not thinking about it's existence as a block.

Last edited by Alberknyis (Jan. 17, 2015 01:27:53)

stop [all v] ::stack
Alberknyis
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Work-arounds

RPFluffy wrote:

Epicness123 wrote:

Not true. Scratch is meant to start basic and progressively become more advanced, what you just said defeated the purpose of scratch…

And even if it wasn't meant to become more advanced it would still end up more advanced anyway

Alberknyis
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Work-arounds

Alberknyis, 35 days ago wrote:

Workarounds use more blocks, which takes down fps. They're creative and help you learn, but they're not useful for actual scripts.

Yikes, who's this guy? I don't think he got the right idea about all this.

Edit: sorry for post spamming.

Last edited by Alberknyis (Jan. 17, 2015 01:31:28)

peppermintpatty5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Work-arounds

Alberknyis wrote:

Workarounds use more blocks, which takes down fps. They're creative and help you learn, but they're not useful for actual scripts.

Change of mind?

#BringBackDiscuss
Alberknyis
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Work-arounds

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

Alberknyis wrote:

Change of mind?

Hmm… Nope.

Must've been an *ahem*… Hacker.

Yup. confirmed. It was a um… Haaacker.

It uh, Couldn't have been me, you- you know.

Wes64
Scratcher
500+ posts

Work-arounds

the number of blocks is not what determines the computing speed. it is actually the behind-the-scenes operations. just because you have abstracted a function as a single block does not mean it is magically going to be faster than its workaround.

a large number of blocks can take down FPS, but only if you have failed to use “run without screen refresh”.

Using Firefox 46.0.1, Flash plugin version 21.0.0.242, and Windows 7 Professional.
A computer does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. - Murphy's Law
Alberknyis
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Work-arounds

Wes64 wrote:

the number of blocks is not what determines the computing speed. it is actually the behind-the-scenes operations. just because you have abstracted a function as a single block does not mean it is magically going to be faster than its workaround.

a large number of blocks can take down FPS, but only if you have failed to use “run without screen refresh”.

Oh.

Last edited by Alberknyis (Jan. 17, 2015 22:31:02)

RPFluffy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Work-arounds

Alberknyis wrote:

RPFluffy wrote:

Epicness123 wrote:

And even if it wasn't meant to become more advanced it would still end up more advanced anyway
Yeah.

Alberknyis wrote:

That's what I thought..
It would only lag with large amounts and low use of run without screen refresh…

end
ev3commander
Scratcher
500+ posts

Work-arounds

Cyoce wrote:

(((a) * (b)) :: grey celse
(((a) / ((1) / (b))) :: grey stack

But what if b=0?

You won't be unknown anymore
My browser / operating system: Windows 7, Chrome 32.XX.XXXX.XX, Flash 12.0 (release 0)
My alternative browser / operating system: OS X 10.9.5, Safari 7, Flash 15.0 (release 0)
Reached 500+ on April 8, 2015
lalala3
Scratcher
100+ posts

Work-arounds

ev3commander wrote:

Cyoce wrote:

But what if b=0?
Then it doesn't work, I guess. Think of it as a metaphor for some of the workarounds that people sometimes post as an alternative to adding the new blocks.

Alberknyis
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Work-arounds

ev3commander wrote:

Cyoce wrote:

But what if b=0?

Then
((1) / (b))
becomes infinity, and
((a) / [infinity])
Returns 0. Simple.

RPFluffy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Work-arounds

Workaround for Repeat Until:

forever
//do stuff
if <(stop) = [yes ]> then

stop [this script v]
end

end

On the side you can stop when you want!

Last edited by RPFluffy (Jan. 19, 2015 16:14:03)

end
AonymousGuy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Work-arounds

Alberknyis wrote:

if <> then ::cstart

elif <> then ::celse

else ::celse

end
Um, actually - that block is not very simple to workaround:
if <> then
else
if <> then
else
if <> then
else
if <> then
else
if <> then
else
if <> then
else
if <> then
else
if <> then
else
if <> then
else
if <> then
else
if <> then
else
if <> then
else
if <> then
else
if <> then

else
end
end
end
end
end
end
end
end
end
end
end
end
end
end
#editorlag

Last edited by AonymousGuy (Jan. 19, 2015 16:58:54)