Discuss Scratch

IndexErrorException
Scratcher
500+ posts

Adding countries flags to the library

This is fine. There is no argument agiasnt this other than it would just be kind of unnecessary because you can just download a flag on google.
hhchhfgv
Scratcher
93 posts

hhchhfgv wrote:

ScratchCat1038 wrote:

cs3868895 wrote:

-snippity snip-
Then again some political leaders may threaten scratch to take it down- personally best to just exclude some flags and go with the current ones.
Why would a political leader take the time and effort to remove one flag from a kids coding website?
The People’s Republic of China banned Scratch in May 2020 as part of the Great Firewall. Many Scratchers, including Chinese Scratchers, are against this ban. It is still banned.
However, I still don’t get why politicians would want to ban Scratch over a single costume. They have other things to do besides dabbling in a kids coding site.
hhchhfgv
Scratcher
93 posts

hhchhfgv wrote:

hhchhfgv wrote:

ScratchCat1038 wrote:

cs3868895 wrote:

-snippity snip-
Then again some political leaders may threaten scratch to take it down- personally best to just exclude some flags and go with the current ones.
Why would a political leader take the time and effort to remove one flag from a kids coding website?
The People’s Republic of China banned Scratch in May 2020 as part of the Great Firewall. Many Scratchers, including Chinese Scratchers, are against this ban. It is still banned.
However, I still don’t get why politicians would want to ban Scratch over a single costume. They have other things to do besides dabbling in a kids coding site.
Maybe what Scratch can do is exclude different flags only in certain areas, such as excluding the Republic of China flag/Taiwanese flag in China.
hhchhfgv
Scratcher
93 posts

hhchhfgv wrote:

snip, since New Scratchers cannot edit posts.
By China at the end, I meant the People’s Republic of China, not Taiwan.
-Zorra-
Scratcher
100+ posts

hhchhfgv wrote:

snip
Maybe what Scratch can do is exclude different flags only in certain areas, such as excluding the Republic of China flag/Taiwanese flag in China.

That will just lead to more controversy. Besides, Scratch has already put its stance on Taiwan/China since they’re both country options.

Ehēu… ova!

200 posts until 1,000! :D
Basilikos
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-Zorra- wrote:

That will just lead to more controversy. Besides, Scratch has already put its stance on Taiwan/China since they’re both country options.
The Scratch Team doesn't decide which countries go there, it just uses a pre-made list.

By the way, OP, can you tell me what you're going to do with Kosovo?

sorry for bad english
PGBFLITE6373
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Well, before I start talking about Western Sahara, I must ask. If we are worried about ST getting controversy over the flags, then why aren't iPhones banned? It's really just a really unlikely edge case senerario. But if it were to happen, than it would be in china, and china has already banned scratch. Really, is it bad for country flags to exist?

I could see this being used in a “unite the countries” game, and it adds more creativity. It isn't really that bad, because the flags are already made for them, and a politician isn't going to ban scratch over this.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
How to make siggie
Basilikos
Scratcher
1000+ posts

PGBFLITE6373 wrote:

Well, before I start talking about Western Sahara, I must ask. If we are worried about ST getting controversy over the flags, then why aren't iPhones banned? It's really just a really unlikely edge case senerario. But if it were to happen, than it would be in china, and china has already banned scratch. Really, is it bad for country flags to exist?

I could see this being used in a “unite the countries” game, and it adds more creativity. It isn't really that bad, because the flags are already made for them, and a politician isn't going to ban scratch over this.
Can you skip to the part where you talk about Western Sahara?

sorry for bad english
PGBFLITE6373
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Basilikos wrote:

PGBFLITE6373 wrote:

Can you skip to the part where you talk about Western Sahara?
Ight, here we go!

Western Sahara is a place that is currently disputed over whether it is or it isn't a country. About 20% of the territory is controlled by the self-proclaimed Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (SADR), while the remaining 80% of the territory is occupied and administered by neighboring Morocco. So, it is currently owned by Morocco, but the problem is, the UN does not see it as owned by Morocco. So, we face an impasse of whether we should add it or not. If we add it, we might as well add Hong Kong, and then the U.S. states flag, then at some point Inner Mongolia. However, if we don't add it, then we are being political and siding with Morocco. I mean, at some point, we need to stop, but where? I mean, do we just stop where the UN stops? Then I bring Taiwan into the equation, and it gets much more confusing. I mean, it's getting worse the more I think of it.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
How to make siggie
Basilikos
Scratcher
1000+ posts

PGBFLITE6373 wrote:

Ight, here we go!

Western Sahara is a place that is currently disputed over whether it is or it isn't a country. About 20% of the territory is controlled by the self-proclaimed Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (SADR), while the remaining 80% of the territory is occupied and administered by neighboring Morocco. So, it is currently owned by Morocco, but the problem is, the UN does not see it as owned by Morocco. So, we face an impasse of whether we should add it or not. If we add it, we might as well add Hong Kong, and then the U.S. states flag, then at some point Inner Mongolia. However, if we don't add it, then we are being political and siding with Morocco. I mean, at some point, we need to stop, but where? I mean, do we just stop where the UN stops? Then I bring Taiwan into the equation, and it gets much more confusing. I mean, it's getting worse the more I think of it.
That's why this suggestion doesn't work, as there is a major question needing to be answered, “How many countries are there?”.

sorry for bad english
hhchhfgv
Scratcher
93 posts

Basilikos wrote:

PGBFLITE6373 wrote:

Ight, here we go!

That's why this suggestion doesn't work, as there is a major question needing to be answered, “How many countries are there?”.
There is also the British crown dependencies, and Xinjiang, which is an autonomous province of China, even includes the islands of Mayoette, even areas like Canada are kingdom dependencies, so the question depends on who you ask. There’s even Greenland and the Faroe Islands, so the question is really, really confusing and controversial to solve. The UK sometimes CAN’T even be considered as a country, as it is a union of sorts. If we don’t include the PRC, then we may as well not include Canada.

Last edited by hhchhfgv (Feb. 20, 2023 16:33:51)

hhchhfgv
Scratcher
93 posts

hhchhfgv wrote:

-snip-
It’s just like trying to answer the question of “Where does space start?” as there is no definitive answer. The atmosphere never ends.
inom5962dojo
Scratcher
100+ posts

Basilikos wrote:

PGBFLITE6373 wrote:

-snip-“How many countries are there?”.

197: The 193 UN recognized, +Kosovo (recognized by 114 countries) +Vatican City (UN observer state) Palestine (UN observer state) Taiwan (Already a country option for Scratch)

Last edited by inom5962dojo (Feb. 21, 2023 17:57:05)

when green flag clicked
wait until <(signature) = (nearby)> = [true]
if <(username) = <not <inom5962dojo>>> then
repeat until < <(signature) = (nearby)> = [false] >
play sound [CHOMP v] until done
eat singnature
end
end
when green flag clicked
forever
if <<(evil kumquat) = (nearby)> = [true]> then
repeat until (<(evil kumquat) = (nearby)> = [false])
attack kumquat
say [Leave]
end
end
end
cookieclickerer33
Scratcher
1000+ posts

That would clutter the costume library, if it’s all 1 sprite they are separate costumes..

also where would this even be useful?

⠀ ⠀ I beat Mario 64 yay! ⠀⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ I love you ivy & may :3
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀ ⠀GEOMETRY DASH

⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ MecanX Disk 0 : Coming march 27th
inom5962dojo
Scratcher
100+ posts

cookieclickerer33 wrote:

That would clutter the costume library, if it’s all 1 sprite they are separate costumes..

It has already been said that they would be sorted into sprites by continent. Also, we already have like 3 styles of every letter so…

when green flag clicked
eat singnature
end
end
when green flag clicked
forever
attack kumquat
say [Leave]
end
end
end
Basilikos
Scratcher
1000+ posts

inom5962dojo wrote:

197: The 193 UN recognized, +Kosovo (recognized by 114 countries) +Vatican City (UN observer state) Palestine (UN observer state) Taiwan (Already a country option for Scratch)
You can't add Kosovo without having half of the world against you.
What about Western Sahara? The Hospitaller order of Malta? DONETSK?

sorry for bad english
inom5962dojo
Scratcher
100+ posts

Basilikos wrote:

inom5962dojo wrote:

You can't add Kosovo without having half of the world against you.
What about Western Sahara? The Hospitaller order of Malta? DONETSK?

Well if you don’t add it you also have half the world against you….. since 114>83, you offend less people this way, Western Sahara only has 45ish countries recognizing it, never heard of that, Donetsk is a city.

Last edited by inom5962dojo (Feb. 21, 2023 18:53:03)

when green flag clicked
eat singnature
end
end
when green flag clicked
forever
attack kumquat
say [Leave]
end
end
end
inom5962dojo
Scratcher
100+ posts

Basilikos wrote:

inom5962dojo wrote:

The Hospitaller order of Malta?
Or is that the official name for Malta?

Last edited by inom5962dojo (Feb. 21, 2023 18:48:59)

when green flag clicked
eat singnature
end
end
when green flag clicked
forever
attack kumquat
say [Leave]
end
end
end
inom5962dojo
Scratcher
100+ posts

For ordering into continents, what about transcontinental countries like Russia or Indonesia?

when green flag clicked
eat singnature
end
end
when green flag clicked
forever
attack kumquat
say [Leave]
end
end
end
cs3868895
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cookieclickerer33 wrote:

Translation projects etc.

inom5962dojo wrote:

For ordering into continents, what about transcontinental countries like Russia or Indonesia?
Russia can be in europe, while indonesia asia lol

To scratch the start will be like 50, and then if this goes well… they can do this 3 more times (so in total 197) They don't need to add every single country… that was a problem while we had both pride hearts and countries together before I decided to split them to two different topics.

Fish more ideas
I'm Fishy a cis bi female.
sorry, but as of currently, I'm moving platforms, I can't handle the drama.