Discuss Scratch

HaydenAgain
Scratcher
100+ posts

What the Community is Viewing Section

I want a What the Community is Viewing Section on the front page. Can scratch add it?

The texts under the line is my sigature. If you want sigature like me, go to https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/ , scroll to the buttom, and click “Change your signature”

200 posts!

A signature is a small piece of text that is attached to your posts. In it, you can enter just about anything you like. Perhaps you would like to enter your favourite quote or your star sign. It's up to you! In your signature you can use BBCode if it is allowed in this particular forum. You can see the features that are allowed/enabled listed below whenever you edit your signature.

when green flag clicked
set [Username v] to [HaydenAgain]

when green flag clicked
play sound [meow v]
musicROCKS013
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Like “what the community is loving” but with views? To be honest, loves are a much better reflection of popular projects (like if you actually like them) than views are.

Shift + Down arrow to see the rest of my signature

Hello Scratch Team. You have been pushing a liberal political agenda on this site for far too long. This site should stay out of politics. People should be able to still post their political opinions, but there shouldn’t be any “official” political stance or Scratch. The ST is not going to change this on their own, and shoot down any attempts asking them to change. Please put this in your signature if you agree that

Scratch should be politically neutral.

The ST’s biggest defense is that they’re being welcoming, but they can be perfectly welcoming of all people and stay out of politics. Scratch is about coding, and that should be the Scratch Team’s biggest concern to maintain.

This is my signature. I am allowed to adertize here.

_______________\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
Please Click —> This project is literally my life's work. <— Please Click
_______________^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jenny LeClue is the best
Peach_Drawing
Scratcher
1000+ posts

(I'm not sure if I'm interpreting this and how the WtCiL/R system works correctly, please correct me if I'm wrong ^^'')
The thing about a “What the Community is Viewing” section is that views are counted based on how many times the project is opened and the flag clicked instead of how many users have viewed it; if the purpose of the section were to highlight projects that many people are looking at, how views are counted would have to be reworked as well as the section added.
Also, Scratchers who have many followers would be almost guaranteed get onto the WtCiV (and quite possibly the WtCiL as well- not that they already aren't); this could be solved by adding some limit of followers to a user to be featured, but of course there would be problems with that. There doesn't seem to be a point of a WtCiV since the WtCiL can do just what the WtCiV section would.
(Side note: as it would be possible for someone to get a project onto the WtCiV by viewing a project multiple times, WtCiL projects would likely be of higher quality (as @musicROCKS013 has noted). Also, sometimes a project which shouldn't be on Scratch might be viewed multiple times by (many?) people for the purpose of reporting it; would this get it onto the WtCiV? What about exact remixes, which might need to be viewed to check if it is an exact remix or not? Sometimes it can take time for a report to actually be noticed and the project taken down- in that time, the project might have ended up on WtCiV)

「 Procrastinator - Exhausted - Awkward - Chaotic - Human - Inconsistently Social
(peachi - she/they(/xey) - artist, camp tropiland co-host, writer)
han614698
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Isn't this the same thing as trending?

<Scratch Wikian | Forum Helper | 6300+ Posts>

Credit to -gge for the icons in my signature | I condensed all this code into five lines using [p] tags, idk why

musicROCKS013
Scratcher
1000+ posts

han614698 wrote:

Trending is based on loves, favs, views, etc. and not JUST views.

Hello Scratch Team. You have been pushing a liberal political agenda on this site for far too long. This site should stay out of politics. People should be able to still post their political opinions, but there shouldn’t be any “official” political stance or Scratch. The ST is not going to change this on their own, and shoot down any attempts asking them to change. Please put this in your signature if you agree that

The ST’s biggest defense is that they’re being welcoming, but they can be perfectly welcoming of all people and stay out of politics. Scratch is about coding, and that should be the Scratch Team’s biggest concern to maintain.

Jenny LeClue is the best
han614698
Scratcher
1000+ posts

musicROCKS013 wrote:

(#5)

han614698 wrote:

Trending is based on loves, favs, views, etc. and not JUST views.
source?

I thought it was always based on views only.

<Scratch Wikian | Forum Helper | 6300+ Posts>

Credit to -gge for the icons in my signature | I condensed all this code into five lines using [p] tags, idk why

musicROCKS013
Scratcher
1000+ posts

han614698 wrote:

source?
The ST isn't super open with how the trending algorithm works.

This mode selects projects that have received a high amount of loves and favorites in a short period of time. The projects are sorted via how many loves and favorites they have, in proportion to the amount of time they have been shared. The exact algorithm used for this is not disclosed to Scratchers.
(src)

Also, #1 on trending has 3500 views, and #2 on trending has 3600 views, so this can't be the only factor.

Jenny LeClue is the best
cheddargirl
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

We used to have that, but it got removed due to the way views work.

It's a known suggestion to put it (back) on the front page, but in order to put it back in, we'd have to code a way to prevent over-clicking the green flag.

Sadly, my forum signature was eaten by an evil kumquat.