Discuss Scratch

agcoder66
Scratcher
100+ posts

Why does nothing come up when you search "nasa"?

Recently, I was looking for Artemis 1 projects, so I searched up the word ‘Nasa’, but no projects or studios came up.
Does anyone know why?

agcoder66

I like math, science, coding and engineering.
I'm currently working on a project called SceneShare. Check my profile for more info.
I sometimes check the forums for interesting stuff but besides that, I'm working on other projects. Check my profile for more.

yayy

-Valtren-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

it's true. the only thing there is the nasa account

oh the irony

I think the projects were nfe'd or something

Famous quotes:

Za-Chary wrote:

Steve Carell as Scratch Cat yo what the heck bro src

-Rodri wrote:

106809nes wrote:

This is the second-best suggestion I've seen.
Why is it the second-best suggestion I've seen? Well, view this topic to find out!
what in the capitalism, you really had to sneak in an ad lol src

The_Game_ wrote:

From my careful predictions that I have been calculating for 3 whole years, spent thousands of dollars on and have stayed up at night doing; it'll have 1 billion projects. src

wolvesstar97 wrote:

TAGS MUST GO!
THERE IS A SOLUTION: Narwhals! src

WallydogChoppychop wrote:

Scratch cat looked like a mouse src

Za-Chary wrote:

among_us1w2 wrote:

no like in darkrp if you have been warn for failbase class 1 you get warning but if you do failbase class 3 you get warning but next time you break rules you get 5 min jail
This is the greatest slang of All Time. src

More quotes here.
-Accio-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

For some reason, it seems like “NASA” has been added to some kind of filter so that it doesn't return any results when it is searched in the search bar. My only guess as to why this would happen is potentially because spammers could take advantage of the Artemis launch to create spam projects and would include “NASA” in the title so they would show up when people try to find projects about the launch. Keep in mind this is just a guess though and I have no idea why this actually is happening.

Interestingly, terms such as “Moon Launch”, “Rocket”, “SpaceX”, “Artemis”, “National Aeronautics and Space Administration”, and “CSA” (The Canadian version of NASA) all return results as expected.

Hi There! I'm -Accio-

I am currently attending university for a Bachelor's of Science in Chemistry.

“If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate”
ScolderCreations
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Possibly due to the recent livestreams, and controversial opinions? For example, someone might argue that the moon landing was faked, which could cause drama.

Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-Accio- wrote:

For some reason, it seems like “NASA” has been added to some kind of filter so that it doesn't return any results when it is searched in the search bar. My only guess as to why this would happen is potentially because spammers could take advantage of the Artemis launch to create spam projects and would include “NASA” in the title so they would show up when people try to find projects about the launch. Keep in mind this is just a guess though and I have no idea why this actually is happening.

Interestingly, terms such as “Moon Launch”, “Rocket”, “SpaceX”, “Artemis”, “National Aeronautics and Space Administration”, and “CSA” (The Canadian version of NASA) all return results as expected.

ScolderCreations wrote:

Possibly due to the recent livestreams, and controversial opinions? For example, someone might argue that the moon landing was faked, which could cause drama.
I have doubts in both of these. It seems a bit ridiculous that any time something major happens, they would censor something subtly involved due to the potential for drama (especially since they didn’t censor the word Artemis). I doubt this happened.

Personally, I’d just say they did it by mistake. I’d recommend reporting it in the Bugs and Glitches forum.

agcoder66
Scratcher
100+ posts

-Accio- wrote:

You're probably right.

agcoder66

I'm currently working on a project called SceneShare. Check my profile for more info.
I sometimes check the forums for interesting stuff but besides that, I'm working on other projects. Check my profile for more.

yayy

agcoder66
Scratcher
100+ posts

Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote:

-Accio- wrote:

ScolderCreations wrote:

I have doubts in both of these. It seems a bit ridiculous that any time something major happens, they would censor something subtly involved due to the potential for drama (especially since they didn’t censor the word Artemis). I doubt this happened.

Personally, I’d just say they did it by mistake. I’d recommend reporting it in the Bugs and Glitches forum.

Okay, I'll ask there.

agcoder66

yayy

cheddargirl
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Oh dear, I'll have to double check, but I suspect it may be false blocking due to a match on Lil Nas X (which is blocked from search).

Sadly, my forum signature was eaten by an evil kumquat.
jackson49
Scratcher
1000+ posts

It's been going on for a while. I noticed it a year or two ago, and forgot about it until now.

Last edited by jackson49 (Aug. 29, 2022 22:12:47)

Be moist

PC LOAD LETTER

;
cheddargirl
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

cheddargirl wrote:

Oh dear, I'll have to double check, but I suspect it may be false blocking due to a match on Lil Nas X (which is blocked from search).
Aaannnnd, it seems like we might have a weird bug on our hands. Moving to the Bugs and Glitches section.

If anyone has been seeing some weird cases like this of certain innocuous topics not showing up in search, let me know.

jackson49
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cheddargirl wrote:

If anyone has been seeing some weird cases like this of certain innocuous topics not showing up in search, let me know.
It happens with more words than “NASA”. Every search term containing “NAS” is blocked. For example, the bug occurs with “NASCAR” and “Nashville”. Using Google, I found lots of Scratch projects and studios containing those words, yet nothing shows up when searching.

It even happens at the end and the middle. Words like "Bananas“, ”Antennas“, ”Arenas", “Gymnasium”, and “Dynasty” are all unsearchable.

I guess it makes sense if, like you said, it’s caused by “Lil Nas X”, but oddly, the same issue doesn’t occur for other blocked search terms. For example, this problem doesn’t appear to occur for Discord. You can even search Discordant.

I’m surprised that this (apparently) hasn’t been noticed before since it affects so many search terms (there are over 300 words that contain “NAS”).

Note: You can search for terms with a space in between “NAS”. For example, you can search "Banana shoes".

Last edited by jackson49 (Sept. 2, 2022 04:26:43)

Be moist

PC LOAD LETTER

;
agcoder66
Scratcher
100+ posts

jackson49 wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

I’m surprised that this (apparently) hasn’t been noticed before since it affects so many search terms.

Exactly

agcoder66

yayy

Knightbot63
Scratcher
1000+ posts

This bug was strange when I first tried it.

Working on an RPG. Consistently losing followers because of inactivity.
I head to forums time-to-time. Not as much as I used to.
cheddargirl
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

jackson49 wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

It happens with more words than “NASA”. Every search term containing “NAS” is blocked. For example, the bug occurs with “NASCAR” and “Nashville”. Using Google, I found lots of Scratch projects and studios containing those words, yet nothing shows up when searching.

It even happens with words like “Gymnasium” and “Dynasty”.

I guess it makes sense if, like you said, it’s caused by “Lil Nas X”, but oddly, the same issue doesn’t occur for other blocked search terms. For example, this problem doesn’t appear to occur for Discord. You can even search Discordant.

I’m surprised that this (apparently) hasn’t been noticed before since it affects so many search terms.
Thanks for that info. Imma go poke the devs some more on this bug.

For context:
The word filter works differently when it comes to searches, and some topics are specific to the function (for example, FNAF is blocked in search, but not in comments).
As one might guess, because sharing music for non-programming reasons is a big no-no, famous musicians and bands are usually blocked.

But ideally the filter for search should be exact and not embedded. “Taylor Swift” is blocked, but not “Taylor” or “Swift” itself. Really weird that it's triggering on NAS like that.

agcoder66
Scratcher
100+ posts

cheddargirl wrote:

jackson49 wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

It even happens with words like “Gymnasium” and “Dynasty”.

Thanks for that info. Imma go poke the devs some more on this bug.

For context:
The word filter works differently when it comes to searches, and some topics are specific to the function (for example, FNAF is blocked in search, but not in comments).
As one might guess, because sharing music for non-programming reasons is a big no-no, famous musicians and bands are usually blocked.

But ideally the filter for search should be exact and not embedded. “Taylor Swift” is blocked, but not “Taylor” or “Swift” itself. Really weird that it's triggering on NAS like that.

This has turned into such a serious problem. Hopefully it can be fixed!

agcoder66

yayy

agcoder66
Scratcher
100+ posts

bump

agcoder66

yayy

donotforgetmycode
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bump

This text under the grey line is my signature. It's not part of my post, but it automatically shows up under all of my posts.

I recommend reading jvvg and Super_Scratch_Bros20's essays.

She/her

Stuff at the bottom of my signature:

for \({
set [i v] to [0]
}; <(i) < [10]>; {
change [i v] by (1)
}) \{{
think (i) for (1) secs
}} :: control
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/post/6785965/

Paddle2See wrote:

Would you recommend a confirmation dialog box on that action?

Please forgive my crude mock-up.

By the way - this is rejected for safety reasons.

An0therRand0mC0der wrote:

a bully with a big belly steals your moist cheesy beef
music origins
Be horizontal —
(thanks @thugatwoary and @Za-Chary)
Be high contrast
Generation -1: The first time you see this, copy and paste it on top of your signature in the Scratch forums, and decrease the generation by 1. Social experiment.
i ran out of characters
Kumquat lore
The Scratch Forums support bf +-<>[],.
_3thou_
It seems I can still use assets in my signature. test:
;
spookily
Scratcher
100+ posts

Boo!

I think this is fixed, because I searched “nasa” and some projects came up!

An alt of @MythosLore…