Discuss Scratch

Iamnotarobot124
Scratcher
100+ posts

Orange OS LE | Maybe it's not dead???

readiing-stqrs wrote:

Can someone explain this? How does it work?
Linux (/ˈliːnʊks/ (listen) LEE-nuuks or /ˈlɪnʊks/ LIN-uuks) is an open-source Unix-like operating system based on the Linux kernel, an operating system kernel first released on September 17, 1991, by Linus Torvalds. Linux is typically packaged as a Linux distribution.
Basicly we are making an actual System, like windows or mac that you can run on your laptop, not on scratch, but on actual computers.

I am ScratchcatandGobo's alt account.
Iamnotarobot124
Scratcher
100+ posts

applejuiceproduc wrote:

Iamnotarobot124 wrote:

sf97ahgf wrote:

yaveenSTEM wrote:

why do i get a bsod whenever i try to boot arch from virtualbox

its never happened before
I'd recommend you just switch to Linux and use KVM. Linux is way more stable than windows.
Haha, funny joke, all of the linux distros I tried crash when installing stuff.
what distros did you try?
ubuntu, Zorin, Linux mint, and Fedora… Wait do I still have safe boot on?

readiing-stqrs
Scratcher
100+ posts

Iamnotarobot124 wrote:

readiing-stqrs wrote:

Linux (/ˈliːnʊks/ (listen) LEE-nuuks or /ˈlɪnʊks/ LIN-uuks) is an open-source Unix-like operating system based on the Linux kernel, an operating system kernel first released on September 17, 1991, by Linus Torvalds. Linux is typically packaged as a Linux distribution.
Basicly we are making an actual System, like windows or mac that you can run on your laptop, not on scratch, but on actual computers.
Oh wow-
Are you coding it on scratch? Or smth else? Cuz idk how you'd be able to do it here lol

<╰(‵□′)╯> 
‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ^ this is bob, my guard against evil kumquats

join the crewadvertisemy shop (workers needed)the BPHAS

bob was actually an evil kumquat in disguise… *chomp*
Iamnotarobot124
Scratcher
100+ posts

readiing-stqrs wrote:

Iamnotarobot124 wrote:

readiing-stqrs wrote:

Oh wow-
Are you coding it on scratch? Or smth else? Cuz idk how you'd be able to do it here lol
We are Programming it in C, python, and bash. and we are basing it on Linux

applejuiceproduc
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Iamnotarobot124 wrote:

applejuiceproduc wrote:

Iamnotarobot124 wrote:

sf97ahgf wrote:

yaveenSTEM wrote:

I'd recommend you just switch to Linux and use KVM. Linux is way more stable than windows.
All of those should work with secure boot… I think.

A signature
sf97ahgf
Scratcher
100+ posts

Iamnotarobot124 wrote:

applejuiceproduc wrote:

Iamnotarobot124 wrote:

sf97ahgf wrote:

yaveenSTEM wrote:

Most likely they get erratic because you have a nVidia GPU. nVidia is known to not open source their drivers or even provide documentation.

“It seems I am not the only spy.”
“Spy in our midst!”
“Spy, gentlemen!”
“Spy among us!”
“That Scout is a Spy.”
“The Soldier is a Spy.”
“The Pyro is a Spy.”
“The Demoman is a Spy.”
“The Heavy is a Spy.”
“The Engineer is a Spy.”
“The Medic is a Spy.”
“The Sniper is a Spy.”
“That Spy is an enemy!”
“That Spy is not one of us!”
sf97ahgf
Scratcher
100+ posts

Iamnotarobot124 wrote:

applejuiceproduc wrote:

Iamnotarobot124 wrote:

sf97ahgf wrote:

yaveenSTEM wrote:

Also, nVidia GPUs rarely play nice with Linux Distros.

“Spy in our midst!”
“Spy, gentlemen!”
“Spy among us!”
“That Scout is a Spy.”
“The Soldier is a Spy.”
“The Pyro is a Spy.”
“The Demoman is a Spy.”
“The Heavy is a Spy.”
“The Engineer is a Spy.”
“The Medic is a Spy.”
“The Sniper is a Spy.”
“That Spy is an enemy!”
sf97ahgf
Scratcher
100+ posts

I'll host an IRC server inside a VM, and share the IRC link with you guys.

“Spy in our midst!”
“Spy, gentlemen!”
“Spy among us!”
“That Scout is a Spy.”
“The Soldier is a Spy.”
“The Pyro is a Spy.”
“The Demoman is a Spy.”
“The Heavy is a Spy.”
“The Engineer is a Spy.”
“The Medic is a Spy.”
“The Sniper is a Spy.”
“That Spy is an enemy!”
yaveenSTEM
Scratcher
36 posts

sf97ahgf wrote:

yaveenSTEM wrote:

I am never switching to linux on my main PC. Without getting into a debate on OSes, Windows just has way more features of which I find useful.

Also, I did finally get Arch working on a VM, but instead of using VirtualBox, I used Hyper-V - microsoft's own virtualisation tool (btw setting up a virtual machine on HyperV has soo much less jargon than virtualbox lmao)

I'm just trying to figure out how to install orange os because the curl command isnt working but I think thats because networkconfiguration is disabled. I'll figure it out

Last edited by yaveenSTEM (Oct. 7, 2022 02:55:28)

sf97ahgf
Scratcher
100+ posts

yaveenSTEM wrote:

sf97ahgf wrote:

yaveenSTEM wrote:

I am never switching to linux on my main PC. Without getting into a debate on OSes, Windows just has way more features of which I find useful.

Also, I did finally get Arch working on a VM, but instead of using VirtualBox, I used Hyper-V - microsoft's own virtualisation tool (btw setting up a virtual machine on HyperV has soo much less jargon than virtualbox lmao)

I'm just trying to figure out how to install orange os because the curl command isnt working but I think thats because networkconfiguration is disabled. I'll figure it out
Your objection on “Windows has way more features,” Linux can technically mimic every single piece of Windows aside from doing some weird cloud stuff with Microsoft. Besides that, it's great that you got Arch Linux booting.

“Spy in our midst!”
“Spy, gentlemen!”
“Spy among us!”
“That Scout is a Spy.”
“The Soldier is a Spy.”
“The Pyro is a Spy.”
“The Demoman is a Spy.”
“The Heavy is a Spy.”
“The Engineer is a Spy.”
“The Medic is a Spy.”
“The Sniper is a Spy.”
“That Spy is an enemy!”
yaveenSTEM
Scratcher
36 posts

sf97ahgf wrote:

yaveenSTEM wrote:

sf97ahgf wrote:

yaveenSTEM wrote:

Your objection on “Windows has way more features,” Linux can technically mimic every single piece of Windows aside from doing some weird cloud stuff with Microsoft. Besides that, it's great that you got Arch Linux booting.
Thx

Also yea linux can mimic some stuff, but the features that I'm talking about are linking my phone to my computer, using bing to return organisation results quicker, using edge for security, etc.
Also my school's admin only provides SSL certificates for Windows and Mac, which means I'm technically not allowed to use chromebooks or run linux as my main OS lmao.
DifferentDance8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

sf97ahgf wrote:

But what if we wanna talk about stuff without it being public??? And having to deal with ST's on our shoulders?
bump

Mod's Protogen Maker v2 released. I will update it when I will update it
applejuiceproduc
Scratcher
1000+ posts

sf97ahgf wrote:

Iamnotarobot124 wrote:

applejuiceproduc wrote:

Iamnotarobot124 wrote:

sf97ahgf wrote:

yaveenSTEM wrote:

Also, nVidia GPUs rarely play nice with Linux Distros.
If that's the problem, try Pop OS, and select the nvidia drivers option.

A signature
dynamicsofscratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

hello, i am a boomer who wants to use orangeos
how to install
that boomer part was fake

aII toasters toast toast, but what happens when there are no longer toasters being produced? will their technology simply become obsolete, with humans moving onto bigger, better things? will toast become a distant memory, written in textbooks of the future as foods us simpler generations ate? who's to say! society is constantly moving, changing, evolving, ideas being built upon, improved upon, theories being proven or disproven. are we but a blip on the timeline? sure, our names may not be remembered, but that's not the point. you can make a change. you can make a difference. you can make the world better, even if you don't know yet. and the first step is to go for it. even if you are afraid of failure. going back to the example of toasters, do you know off the top of your head who invented them? no? have you used one? probably. so, even if you don't remember my name, if I was able to help awnser your question, that is enough. if I was able to help you, even in the slightest way, this could push you to continue with scratch and not give up after the program crashes, and maybe one day learn other programming languages and change the world. everything is a cause and effect reaction, new inventions lead to the technology of the future, and even as the generations of the past are slowly forgotten, their influence lives on to this day, affecting how the world eventually turned out and how it will be for generations to come.

and, without toasters, we wouldn't have toast.

Regards
dynamicsofscratch

Anything above that grey line is a signature!
Also, anything can be put in your signature, (also referred as a siggy) including ads but! You cannot do anything else that violates the community guidelines as, you will be reported and you could be banned/muted.
Computer enthusiast, coder, designer and a offline veteran.
700th post
DifferentDance8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dynamicsofscratch wrote:

how to install
Installing orange OS is quite simple!

1: Download and boot a Arch Linux ISO

2: Run the following commands:
curl https://orange-os-le.github.io/22.09.06_CLI_Install.txt > install.py # this gets ooSLE from the official github.io website using cURL and saves it to a file on disk called "install.py"
python3 install.py # this runs the install script using python3
3: Follow the instructions!
4: After all that, reboot your computer and Orange OS LE should be installed on your computer.

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DifferentDance8 wrote:

dynamicsofscratch wrote:

how to install
Installing orange OS is quite simple!

1: Download and boot a Arch Linux ISO

2: Run the following commands:
curl https://orange-os-le.github.io/22.09.06_CLI_Install.txt > install.py # this gets ooSLE from the official github.io website using cURL and saves it to a file on disk called "install.py"
python3 install.py # this runs the install script using python3
3: Follow the instructions!
4: After all that, reboot your computer and Orange OS LE should be installed on your computer.
or grab the latest release from here, boot the ISO, run orangeinstall, and select the version you want to install and go through the process.

DifferentDance8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

or grab the latest release from here, boot the ISO, run orangeinstall, and select the version you want to install and go through the process.
Last time I tried, there was nothing different from Arch Linux, and the orangeinstall command didn't work. Maybe I'll try again in VirtualBox?

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DifferentDance8 wrote:

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

Last time I tried, there was nothing different from Arch Linux, and the orangeinstall command didn't work. Maybe I'll try again in VirtualBox?
the latest release functions perfectly, its been tested

DifferentDance8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

the latest release functions perfectly, its been tested
“functions perfectly”

Joshisaurio
Scratcher
100+ posts

Guys srry for being inactive… I just kinda don't want to download the box downloader thingy bc idk I don't feel safe

Banner by @NFlex23

Banner by @NFlex23