Discuss Scratch

CodeLearnerSai
Scratcher
100+ posts

No longer require email address confirmation to share projects

In another topic, someone wrote:

goldfish678 wrote:

I just have a concern: I don't really like the email thing. If some kids' parent keeps getting Scratch emails, they aren't going to know what the emails are and make their kid stop using Scratch because they don't want to get emails from a source they don't really trust yet. Also, if the parent gets the email confirmation thing they'll probably think it's junkmail and delete it straightaway. That would leave the poor kid unable to share projects in any way just all because of an email misconception. Take my mom, for example. If she started receiving random Scratch updates she would probably demand to know what they are, putting me in an uncomfortable and unnecessary situation.

Just my opinion, you don't have to consider it. But I do highly recommend you remove the feature.

Also, another reason - this would leave a lot of people hanging. My friend signed up with a fake email because he didn't WANT to worry about all that email and password-resetting stuff and his parents probably wouldn't TRUST Scratch with their email even though it's only for one simple reason, and some people don't want to GO through all that just because of that one, silly, overtaking condition that prevents them from even making a Scratch account. Fake emails, on the other hand, are like a safe haven - and now that's gone. So if someone like my friend creates an account with a fake email, they suddenly can't share projects and have no idea what's going on so the poor kid wouldn't get to use Scratch to its full potential all because of one silly thing.

So please please PLEASE remove this feature or else Scratch's reputation might go down. A lot.
Email address confirmation will still be required to post comments, write forum posts, change your profile, curate, create, or host studios, be able to gain Scratcher status, etc., but no longer required to share projects.

If someone uses their parent's email address who doesn't trust the ST, they could keep deleting the ST's emails, leaving the account creator unable to share projects. No longer requiring email address confirmation to share projects solves this problem.

In addition to this change, comments for that user's profile and projects will still be turned off and cannot be enabled until the user confirms their email address. In their account settings, they will see:
You do not need to confirm your email address to share projects, but if you forget your username or password, you will not be able to regain access without doing so. You also need to confirm your email address if you wish to post comments or forum posts, curate studios, be able to use cloud data in the future, etc.

Follow for epic content!
Ninja Cube 4: project 559368592
All Ninja Cube Games: studio 31106316

Palatalized front consonants (coronal consonants & consonants pronounced with one or both lips) have the front 2/7 of the tongue raised closer to or against the upper teeth.Palatalized back consonants (dorsal & glottal consonants) have the back 2/7 of the tongue raised against or closer to the velum.Palatal consonants are pronounced with the entire tongue raised against or closer to the roof of the mouth.

e^i = 0.5403023058681397 + 0.8414709848078965i
e^(0,1) = (0.5403023058681397, 0.8414709848078965i)
musicROCKS013
Scratcher
1000+ posts

No support. Trolls wouldn’t have to confirm their email anymore and could immediately share inappropriate projects.

This is my signature. I am allowed to adertize here.

_______________\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
Please Click —> This project is literally my life's work. <— Please Click
_______________^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jenny LeClue is the best
DarthVader4Life
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I don't think that it's in the best interest of the community to remove this requirement.
As musicROCKS013 said, inappropriate projects could be immediately shared, which is always bad. It does a good enough job limiting the trolls that don't want to put the extra effort of getting an email set up. I'd prefer it being harder to troll than making it easier for the sake of a lower end number of people.

Be Moist Also, here's a helpful link to Ocular
The Tetris theme is one of the best ever composed; change my mind.
The kumquats have eaten this line, so I have to have a new way to repel them.
Had a bad day or are feeling bored? Watch this to make your day better in an interesting way.
Do you think you've been banned unfairly? Then you'd be wrong. The ST aren't children, so quit acting like they are.
Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

musicROCKS013 wrote:

No support. Trolls wouldn’t have to confirm their email anymore and could immediately share inappropriate projects.
Trolls and commercial spammers.

Sorry, I don't think we will be doing this. Requiring a confirmed email is a pretty effective deterrent to various forms of undesirable behavior.

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;