Discuss Scratch

thugatwoary
Scratcher
100+ posts

Remove the fishbowl default sprite due to fishbowls being unsafe for fish

warriorcats2155 wrote:

Let's remove cars, too. As they cause million of deaths too
Weird how you say this as a joke response to point out a percieved flaw in removing fishbowls even though fishbowls don't kill humans.

ok since this is a new page i should probably edit and make this something more meaningful

Myst-- wrote:

Honestly, I don't really know what side to pick. I guess if people are actually being influenced by Scratch sprites, then it should be removed, but is this really happening?
People are indeed influenced by the media they consume.

Dotumantaraye wrote:

it's literally just a fishbowl when i see a fishbowl i don't think ‘omg this is harmful for children’ i just think ‘oh it’s a fishbowl'

but there's not really any cons because it's such a minor change, so support… i guess?
When I saw a fishbowl before learning they weren't good I also thought “this is just a fishbowl” not “the fish probably doesnt like being here”

musicROCKS013 wrote:

thugatwoary wrote:

Kitten-da-Cat wrote:

we could just keep both!
no because fishbowls are evil and very bad for fish and so people shouldn't think they're ok and so they should be removed.
Yes in fact we should outlaw fish bowls and arrest people who have them and throw them in jail!!!!11!1111!! Also lets remove the car sprite because cars result is thousands of deaths a year!1!!!!!!!1!!!!
(This is a joke btw)
Again, the idea of “You can't say this thing is bad and shouldnt be in Scratch because I jokingly said we should remove this other bad thing that is also normal!!!” is a VERY flawed counterargument. Wouldn't be surprised if it's also considered a logical fallacy because it fits the definition.

warriorcats2155 wrote:

Fishbowls are relatively cheap and easy to clean, despite being unsafe for fish. This is one reason why they are so popular.
A plastic box is a cheap and easy to clean place to put a child. Does that mean they should be used for keeping children?

BionicBoy554 wrote:

Fishbowls can actually be unsafe for fish. In one of the Diary Of A Wimpy Kid books, I think it was Dog Days, the bowl that Rodrick's fish lived in had algae growing off the glass, and the fish ate that algae. Then Susan thought the bowl that Rodrick's fish lived in was a mess and dumped it into Greg's fish bowl because it was cleaner. Soon enough, both of the fish had died.
While this is an example of bad parents using fishbowls and not knowing about fish, it is also fictional and so not really a valid argument.

Last edited by thugatwoary (May 19, 2022 15:02:19)

can we not just spam “use contact us” all over questions about scratch? it's really not helpful.
Jbear_
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Their is so many another instances of fishbowls being used in child movies/shows/videos that I doubt this would make any difference

Holder of the same profile photo since 2020
OhOkSir12345
Scratcher
1000+ posts

That is you saying like “remove cars cuZ they can Hit People”
thugatwoary
Scratcher
100+ posts

Jbear_ wrote:

Their is so many another instances of fishbowls being used in child movies/shows/videos that I doubt this would make any difference
Imagine you are on a road, and a car is rushing towards you at unsurvivable speeds.
The car is still very far away, and the road is otherwise empty, so you would have way more than enough time to get off the road.
You then refuse to take the first step towards getting off of the road because “theres so many other steps that I doubt this specific one would make any difference”
That first step is replacing the bowl with a tank on Scratch.
Kids who use Scratch will then grow up, knowing that tanks are better than bowls, because Scratch taught them so. They will then possibly spread the word, and influence others to use tanks instead of bowls, both in real life and in media they create. Those kids would be the other steps.
this is the forum for lego coding what am i doing

can we not just spam “use contact us” all over questions about scratch? it's really not helpful.
OhOkSir12345
Scratcher
1000+ posts

thugatwoary wrote:

warriorcats2155 wrote:

Let's remove cars, too. As they cause million of deaths too
Weird how you say this as a joke response to point out a percieved flaw in removing fishbowls even though fishbowls don't kill humans.

ok since this is a new page i should probably edit and make this something more meaningful

Myst-- wrote:

Honestly, I don't really know what side to pick. I guess if people are actually being influenced by Scratch sprites, then it should be removed, but is this really happening?
People are indeed influenced by the media they consume.

Dotumantaraye wrote:

it's literally just a fishbowl when i see a fishbowl i don't think ‘omg this is harmful for children’ i just think ‘oh it’s a fishbowl'

but there's not really any cons because it's such a minor change, so support… i guess?
When I saw a fishbowl before learning they weren't good I also thought “this is just a fishbowl” not “the fish probably doesnt like being here”

musicROCKS013 wrote:

thugatwoary wrote:

Kitten-da-Cat wrote:

we could just keep both!
no because fishbowls are evil and very bad for fish and so people shouldn't think they're ok and so they should be removed.
Yes in fact we should outlaw fish bowls and arrest people who have them and throw them in jail!!!!11!1111!! Also lets remove the car sprite because cars result is thousands of deaths a year!1!!!!!!!1!!!!
(This is a joke btw)
Again, the idea of “You can't say this thing is bad and shouldnt be in Scratch because I jokingly said we should remove this other bad thing that is also normal!!!” is a VERY flawed counterargument. Wouldn't be surprised if it's also considered a logical fallacy because it fits the definition.

warriorcats2155 wrote:

Fishbowls are relatively cheap and easy to clean, despite being unsafe for fish. This is one reason why they are so popular.
A plastic box is a cheap and easy to clean place to put a child. Does that mean they should be used for keeping children?

BionicBoy554 wrote:

Fishbowls can actually be unsafe for fish. In one of the Diary Of A Wimpy Kid books, I think it was Dog Days, the bowl that Rodrick's fish lived in had algae growing off the glass, and the fish ate that algae. Then Susan thought the bowl that Rodrick's fish lived in was a mess and dumped it into Greg's fish bowl because it was cleaner. Soon enough, both of the fish had died.
While this is an example of bad parents using fishbowls and not knowing about fish, it is also fictional and so not really a valid argument.

Certain cartoons use fish tanks like in the simpsons, im not sure about any other cartoons. I own comic books and they use FISH bowls, probably because Either fish tanks were not invented back then or they do not know about fish
warriorcats2155
Scratcher
500+ posts

thugatwoary wrote:

Jbear_ wrote:

Imagine you are on a road, and a car is rushing towards you at unsurvivable speeds.
The car is still very far away, and the road is otherwise empty, so you would have way more than enough time to get off the road.
You then refuse to take the first step towards getting off of the road because “theres so many other steps that I doubt this specific one would make any difference”
That first step is replacing the bowl with a tank on Scratch.
Kids who use Scratch will then grow up, knowing that tanks are better than bowls, because Scratch taught them so. They will then possibly spread the word, and influence others to use tanks instead of bowls, both in real life and in media they create. Those kids would be the other steps.
this is the forum for lego coding what am i doing
ok

It's just a coding website, it's not heavily opinionated, I'd get off the road at once because the car could run me over.

In fact, what about we keep BOTH of them? It'd be better, and with people who like to use fishbowls in projects instead of tanks, it'd be a win-win scenario, but removing fish bowls would make children or people who can't draw very angry that their character can't have their fish in a fishbowl, and probably quit and make up lies about scratch, I'd say that scenario would be a lose-lose.

Parent user: kkidslogin, Generation 16: the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your sig in the scratch forums, increase generation by 1, and change the parent user to who you’re reading this from. Social experiment.
thugatwoary
Scratcher
100+ posts

OhOkSir12345 wrote:

Those things are not even remotely equivalent. Why is it being brought up? Should be considered offtopic IMO.

OhOkSir12345 wrote:

Certain cartoons use fish tanks like in the simpsons, im not sure about any other cartoons. I own comic books and they use FISH bowls, probably because Either fish tanks were not invented back then or they do not know about fish
It is likely that the people making those media did not know about fish or that fishbowls were bad and just put what came to mind first and what comes to mind first for many people when they think of “pet fish”. Having Scratch teach about why fishbowls are bad would be the first step towards changing this, because it is bad.

warriorcats2155 wrote:

In fact, what about we keep BOTH of them? It'd be better, and with people who like to use fishbowls in projects instead of tanks, it'd be a win-win scenario, but removing fish bowls would make children or people who can't draw very angry that their character can't have their fish in a fishbowl, and probably quit and make up lies about scratch, I'd say that scenario would be a lose-lose.
Keeping fishbowls defeats the point of this suggestion.
Also, I didn't quit and make up lies about Scratch when I found out there wasn't a whale sprite.

Dotumantaraye
Scratcher
1000+ posts

thugatwoary wrote:

Dotumantaraye wrote:

does it seem like i care enough about fish to even think that

Last edited by Dotumantaraye (May 19, 2022 15:34:45)

warriorcats2155
Scratcher
500+ posts

thugatwoary wrote:

OhOkSir12345 wrote:

Those things are not even remotely equivalent. Why is it being brought up? Should be considered offtopic IMO.

OhOkSir12345 wrote:

It is likely that the people making those media did not know about fish or that fishbowls were bad and just put what came to mind first and what comes to mind first for many people when they think of “pet fish”. Having Scratch teach about why fishbowls are bad would be the first step towards changing this, because it is bad.

warriorcats2155 wrote:

Keeping fishbowls defeats the point of this suggestion.
Also, I didn't quit and make up lies about Scratch when I found out there wasn't a whale sprite.
No, I mean that they'd make a petition/suggestion form to add it back

Parent user: kkidslogin, Generation 16: the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your sig in the scratch forums, increase generation by 1, and change the parent user to who you’re reading this from. Social experiment.
thugatwoary
Scratcher
100+ posts

Dotumantaraye wrote:

thugatwoary wrote:

Dotumantaraye wrote:

does it seem like i care enough about fish to even think that
it is true that there are people who just don't care but there are many people who do care. from personal experience as a child and talking to children, young children seem to like animals

warriorcats2155 wrote:

No, I mean that they'd make a petition/suggestion form to add it back
The Scratch Team making an announcement on why they removed it should be enough to satisfy the community with answers, and the hypothetical suggestion to re-add it would likely be rejected if the Scratch Team deliberately remove the bowl.

Dotumantaraye
Scratcher
1000+ posts

thugatwoary wrote:

it is true that there are people who just don't care but there are many people who do care. from personal experience as a child and talking to children, young children seem to like animals
when people look back on their fish days when they had a goldfish it wouldn't matter that much to them, it'd just be a nice memory
Kitten-da-Cat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

we need an answer from the scratch team

Signed:
J. N.

Here is my cute cat:
Dotumantaraye
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Kitten-da-Cat wrote:

no we do not its literally just a fishbowl
warriorcats2155
Scratcher
500+ posts

Dotumantaraye wrote:

Kitten-da-Cat wrote:

agreed.

thugatwoary
Scratcher
100+ posts

Dotumantaraye wrote:

Kitten-da-Cat wrote:

We actually do. There are genuine issues with a fishbowl.

M1mikyu wrote:

Reasons include them being too small, no room for a heater and filter, the bowl shape distorts their vision, among other things.

While you might argue “it’s harmless!”, depictions of fishbowls in the media make kids more likely to assume fishbowls are an okay enclosure for a pet fish, when it isn’t. If someone sees a fishbowl in the sprite library, it’ll further cement the thought that fishbowls are okay.

warriorcats2155
Scratcher
500+ posts

Alright, I think I have changed my stance.

NO SUPPORT

This shouldn't be much of a controversy, some characters have fishbowls, and some people like to incorporate that without drawing or such. I, howerer, do support the idea of adding a fish tank, this suggestion literally isn't much of an issue.

warriorcats2155
Scratcher
500+ posts

warriorcats2155 wrote:

NO SUPPORT

This shouldn't be much of a controversy, some characters have fishbowls, and some people like to incorporate that without drawing or such. I, howerer, do support the idea of adding a fish tank, this suggestion literally isn't much of an issue.
Also, let children learn about the dangers of fishbowls from school or parents or such.

YtArie5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

warriorcats2155 wrote:

warriorcats2155 wrote:

NO SUPPORT

Also, let children learn about the dangers of fishbowls from school or parents or such.
school and parents have never told me anything about fishbowls

everything below is my signature, it appears under everything I post.

I am the real Kris Dreemurr from deltarune

Why are you here, you extension user? This is where I put my copypastas! Run along, now!

Please only create new threads here if you're a New Scratcher introducing yourself the community. Check out [url=https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/399690/]Making a guide/welcome topic? Please read this first![/url]

Hello!  It's great that you want to help out other Scratchers.  However, I think we have enough guides in the forums at the moment.  Please feel free to welcome new Scratchers on [url=https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/4670/]the group welcoming topic[/url] or on individual topics created by New Scratchers.

Other places that can always use more helpful Scratchers like you, are the "[url=https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/7/]Help With Scripts[/url]" and "[url=https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/4/]Questions About Scratch[/url]" areas - please use them as designed, by responding to topics created by folks with problems to solve :)

Finally, a really good place for Scratch guides is the [url=https://en.scratch-wiki.info/]Scratch Wiki[/url] - check it out and see if it's something you might like to work on. They have a number of guides - and great organization.
dertermenter
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I’ve changed my mind. Having a fishbowl sprite makes it seem like it is acceptable to have a fish as a pet swimming in one of these cramped containers away from their parents and freedom in the ocean. It may not be intended to give that message, but having it as a sprite does make it seem like this is normalised and acceptable.

A fish tank I don’t think will be great either - The fish is still doesn’t have a lot of freedom and is probably away from its family.

The2000 wrote:

All suggestions are unnecessary. If a suggestion is necessary then it's a bug report.

dertermenter wrote:

April Fools Day on the forums has been a repeated privilege, not an expectation
warriorcats2155
Scratcher
500+ posts

YtArie5 wrote:

warriorcats2155 wrote:

warriorcats2155 wrote:

NO SUPPORT

school and parents have never told me anything about fishbowls
Maybe they should, or maybe the internet should teach them such. I learned many things on the internet, so why shouldn't they?

dertermenter wrote:

I’ve changed my mind. Having a fishbowl sprite makes it seem like it is acceptable to have a fish as a pet swimming in one of these cramped containers away from their parents and freedom in the ocean. It may not be intended to give that message, but having it as a sprite does make it seem like this is normalised and acceptable.

A fish tank I don’t think will be great either - The fish is still doesn’t have a lot of freedom and is probably away from its family.
Many pet fishes are bred to be domestic, I may be wrong, though.