Discuss Scratch

AshleyTheActress
Scratcher
9 posts

No more English alphabet!

The English alphabet is boring. It has 26 letters (double 13, so double cursed), pointless letters (q can just be replaced with kw), and, of course, its biggest problem:

IT'S NOT PHONETIC.

That's exactly the problem with the English alphabet. For instance, the A in the word apple makes a different sound from the A in car, yet they are both the same letter. Do you know what will solve this problem? This new alphabet with only 40 letters!
Aa: Like the A in apple
Ɐɐ: Like the A in cake
Ảả: Like the A in car
Bb: Like the B in banana
Cc: Like the CH in chip
Dd: Like the D in dump
Ðð: Like the TH in the
Ee: Like the E in egg
Ǝǝ: Like the EE in cheese
Ɛɛ: Like the A's in America
Ff: Like the F in finger
Gg: Like the G in gorilla
Hh: Like the H in hungry
Ii: Like the I in inchworm
Ịᴉ: Like the I in ice
Jj: Like the J in juggle
Kk: Like the K's in kick
Ll: Like the L in light
Mm: Like the M in monkey
Nn: Like the N in nose
Ŋŋ: Like the NG in ring
Oo: Like the O in olive
Ɵɵ: Like the OA in soap
Ỏỏ: Like the O in fort
Ŏŏ: Like the OW in cow
Ōō: Like the OY in toy
Pp: Like the P's in popcorn
Rr: Like the R in rabbit
Ss: Like the S in snake
Ꞩꞩ: Like the SH in sheep
Tt: Like the T's in turtle
Ŧŧ: Like the TH in think
Uu: Like the U in umbrella
Vv: Like the V in vaccuum
Ww: Like the W in wax
Уy: Like the OO in book
⅄ʎ: Like the OO in cool
Yʏ: Like the Y in yam
Zz: Like the Z in zap
Ƶƶ: Like the S in vision
So, who's with me?
k0d3rrr
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Why use America for the phonetic example?
Anyway, this is (kind of) wrong for two reasons:
1. This has been posted in Questions about Scratch, not Suggestions.
And.
2. You are 24 days too late.1

1. Please note that for some countries, the time is either ahead or behind, so the day today could be different elsewhere.

Last edited by k0d3rrr (April 24, 2022 21:07:25)

The apples are gone! Yay!

! HURRICANE UPDATE !
The skies have calmed, and the wind has returned to its usual. You are now free to go about as you please on the forums now.

Hellooooo! I'm k0d3rrr, a fairly well-known Scratcher who likes tries to make constructive comments. I make music and draw art!
I also make random projects whenever I have no idea when to make.

I post often on the Suggestions forum, and also the Questions about Scratch forum, but I also post on the Things I'm Making and Creating and Things I'm Reading and Playing forums, too, as well as Advanced Topics, Help with Scripts (rarely), and Project Ideas!

Za-Chary wrote:

aw heck naw someones' wanting to ban the sab spunch bop faec from scrathc
fornite

You're using 'EVILCODE VERSION 2.0', LICENSE: 'HACKERALERT HACKED1.0'

hide <virus.exe> inside <scratch.List_freerobuxcodegenerator.txt>

function 'WriteDataFile_freerobuxcodegenerator';
download.Type = 'Background'
start download <virus.exe>

function 'DownloadFinished';
run download <virus.exe> to user (scratch.Username:Get())

if <<<you> and <me>> = <us>> then
say [That's true!]

else
cry for (10000000) secs:: looks
end
AshleyTheActress
Scratcher
9 posts

THIS IS NOT AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE! I HATE THE ENGLISH ALPHABET!
RL1123
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Yeah, one slight problem: 1.35 billion people speak English, with 350 million as native speakers. English has been around for more than a thousand years and I expect most people won't be willing to learn what they think of as a knockoff of what they have currently. Also, most of the keyboards today can't type these characters. SsƟɵ, NnƟɵ ŦŧⱯɐNnKkSs, but you can try and use your invention if you like.

Last edited by RL1123 (April 24, 2022 21:10:16)

through tough thorough thought, though

Signature #11
TheGlassPenguin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

AshleyTheActress wrote:

THIS IS NOT AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE! I HATE THE ENGLISH ALPHABET!
This isn't the place to post it. Make a project instead.
Isn't it ironic how you're making anti-English alphabet posts in the English alphabet?

AshleyTheActress
Scratcher
9 posts

RL1123 wrote:

Yeah, one slight problem: 1.35 billion people speak English, with 350 million as native speakers. English has been around for more than a thousand years and I expect most people won't be willing to learn what they think of as a knockoff of what they have currently. Also, most of the keyboards today can't type these characters. SsƟɵ, NnƟɵ ŦŧⱯɐNnKkSs, but you can try and use your invention if you like.
Well, I have a Spanish version, and Spanish is the second most spoken language, so…
RL1123
Scratcher
1000+ posts

AshleyTheActress wrote:

RL1123 wrote:

Well, I have a Spanish version, and Spanish is the second most spoken language, so…
Okay, but we're talking about changing English speakers over to your version of English, and most people who speak English aren't going to be able to use this.

through tough thorough thought, though

Signature #11
Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Sorry - we're trying to reach the most people we can with Scratch. We are not here to judge the suitability of an alphabet - just accommodate it.

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;