Discuss Scratch

AdamLaughlin
Scratcher
66 posts

Project editor won't load

BoltBait
I've given up trying to get this site to work on IE9 or logging IE9 bugs. I've switched to Chrome.

The Scratch Team just doesn't have enough time to address them. (At least, that's the way it seems to me.)

I hear you. We haven't spent much time debugging IE yet since it's easier to squash the (many) cross-browser bugs using the better debugging tools in Firefox and Chrome. However, we are working to support IE8 and above, so we will get to all the IE8+ issues eventually. Posting them is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Adam

Adam Laughlin - Scratch 2.0 Front-End Developer
Windows 7. Chrome, Firefox, IE8, IE9.
Generally active on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
BoltBait
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I didn't mean to come off rude. So, sorry if I did.

You can look at the very early pages of topics in this forum to find lots of posts that I've made about IE9.

When I last tried IE9 I couldn't even get the project editor to come up. So, I simply HAD to switch to Chrome to get any Scratching done.

Click to play:
cardinalland
Scratcher
100+ posts

You should use Chrome. I personally think Chrome is way better.

move (1000000000000000000000000000000) steps
Check out this link if you like games!

BoltBait
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cardinalland
You should use Chrome. I personally think Chrome is way better.

No one's arguing that IE is the better browser. The problem is that IE is the most common browser in the US. And, I'm sure the Scratch Team wants to have their product work on the most computers as possible. Making it work on IE is a huge step in that direction.

Click to play:
Nathanator1416J
Scratcher
100+ posts

This is not specific to 64x, everyone. It is even possible to get the glitch in IE 8.

PEPPERTREE LABS! (PtP/PtL)
Tourmaline Scientific Research Programs at PEPPERTREE LABS!
Someone actually used that link! (They were from Virginia….)
GEOLOGY ROCKS! (chemistry too!)
I Tried Supporting Klingons here! But It Was Too late!!!!!
Running Windows XP SP3 (Home) With a 2.2 GHz Dual Core AMD Athlon 64 X2! Support my petition! (here)
Greenatic
Scratcher
100+ posts

AdamLaughlin
Greenatic
Snowdrift
I might have a solution: press F12, click on the “Browser Mode” drop down and click “Internet Explorer 8”.
Update: Yup, just tried it, it works like a charm

Brilliant! Thanks so much!

But now I'm getting the blank project glitch. How do I fix that?
EDIT: And I can't comment.

Greenatic, I can reproduce the blank project glitch in IE8 mode, so I should be able to debug that.

However, the editor is loading fine for me on Win7 IE9, so I'm unsure what to look for. Can you open your console with F12, then click create in IE9, then post here whatever appears in your console?

Also, what do you mean by “And I can't comment.”?

Thanks!

The comments aren't added.

…Now I'm going to try the F12 thing…

EDIT: What “create in IE9” button? Browser Mode: IE9? Document Mode: IE9 Standards?

EDIT2: This is what appears in the Console:

HTML1113: Document mode restart from Quirks to IE9 Standards
LOG: SWF user: owner: id: isPrivate: false
LOG: v206
LOG: calling renderCollection on element: undefined

Last edited by Greenatic (Dec. 23, 2012 14:48:49)

Windows 7 x64, Internet Explorer x64 and x32. Chrome.
Mokat
Scratcher
100+ posts

Greenatic
Lightnin
Thanks for the report - it's good to have a list of issues we have to work out to support IE 9, even if it is long and rather daunting.
Yes, IE9 doesn't mix too well with Scratch applets.
The site worked fine on IE9 when it was open for everyone a couple months ago for Beta testing.

Greenatic
Scratcher
100+ posts

Mokat
Greenatic
Lightnin
Thanks for the report - it's good to have a list of issues we have to work out to support IE 9, even if it is long and rather daunting.
The site worked fine on IE9 when it was open for everyone a couple months ago for Beta testing.
Yes, but I remember at random times viewing projects on the old site, the tab would crash. (And only on the Scratch site.)

AdamLaughlin
Scratcher
66 posts

BoltBait
I didn't mean to come off rude. So, sorry if I did.

You can look at the very early pages of topics in this forum to find lots of posts that I've made about IE9.

When I last tried IE9 I couldn't even get the project editor to come up. So, I simply HAD to switch to Chrome to get any Scratching done.

No worries at all. You didn't come off as rude to me. Thanks for posting them previously. I'm going back through previous IE posts now. Many of the issues we've fixed. I also implemented some changes which should fix some of the current issues. They should make it to alpha by Friday next week.

AdamLaughlin
Scratcher
66 posts

Greenatic
AdamLaughlin
Greenatic, I can reproduce the blank project glitch in IE8 mode, so I should be able to debug that.

However, the editor is loading fine for me on Win7 IE9, so I'm unsure what to look for. Can you open your console with F12, then click create in IE9, then post here whatever appears in your console?

Also, what do you mean by “And I can't comment.”?

Thanks!

The comments aren't added.

…Now I'm going to try the F12 thing…

EDIT: What “create in IE9” button? Browser Mode: IE9? Document Mode: IE9 Standards?

EDIT2: This is what appears in the Console:

HTML1113: Document mode restart from Quirks to IE9 Standards

Ahh. Okay. I just implemented a change which adds the comments section new projects after clicking “share”. It now gives a notification that it's reloading the page after a few seconds, which isn't the smoothest solution, but it's the most complete one since other sections of the page need re-rendering too. The change should be live on alpha by the end of next week.

Hehe. Yes. Sorry. “click create in IE9” was a unclear. It means “in IE9, click create”. It looks like you got that. I'm working on a fix for IE8's blank new project issue. Hopefully it should fix this issue for you in IE9 too.

Last edited by AdamLaughlin (Jan. 2, 2013 15:32:49)

Mokat
Scratcher
100+ posts

Greenatic
Mokat
Greenatic
Lightnin
Yes, but I remember at random times viewing projects on the old site, the tab would crash. (And only on the Scratch site.)
Not for me

Greenatic
Scratcher
100+ posts

Sorry for my inactivity–just got back from vacation without internet access.

About the blank creator page–now I have the footer too! But no Scratch.

Last edited by Greenatic (Jan. 8, 2013 21:19:48)

scimonster
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Greenatic
Lightnin
IE anything doesn't mix well with anything.
@Adam: Do you have the 64 bit IE, and Windows?

Retired Community Moderator
BTW, i run Google Chrome 41.0.2272.101 on a Linux system - Ubuntu 14.04. NEW: iPad 4th gen. w/retina.

418 I'm a teapot (original - to be read by bored computer geeks)
THE GAME (you just lost)
; THE SEMICOLON LIVES ON IN OUR SIGS
AdamLaughlin
Scratcher
66 posts

scimonster
Greenatic
Lightnin
IE anything doesn't mix well with anything.
@Adam: Do you have the 64 bit IE, and Windows?

@Greenatic - Thanks for the log. A number of changes went live yesterday. Have you reloaded the page with a cache flush? (ctrl+f5)

@Scimonster - currently running 32bit IE on Win7 64bit. My understanding is that very few folks use the 64 bit version, so I haven't tested it.

Last edited by AdamLaughlin (Jan. 9, 2013 15:17:31)

Snowdrift
Scratcher
79 posts

hmm… now I can't even click the “see inside” button
Update: I cleared my cache, and one project loaded. I then wen tot another project and It didn't load, so I cleared my cache again, still didn't work. I refreshed the page and then it started working. WhatTheHeck

Last edited by Snowdrift (Jan. 10, 2013 16:05:59)

AdamLaughlin
Scratcher
66 posts

Snowdrift
Update: I cleared my cache, and one project loaded. I then wen tot another project and It didn't load, so I cleared my cache again, still didn't work. I refreshed the page and then it started working. WhatTheHeck

Okay. I think we finally got this figured out today. The changes should go live soon.

Greenatic
Scratcher
100+ posts

AdamLaughlin
Snowdrift

Okay. I think we finally got this figured out today. The changes should go live soon.

Did Ctrl+F5 and it hasn't improved at all yet. When will the most recent changes go live?

AdamLaughlin
Scratcher
66 posts

Now.

Greenatic
Scratcher
100+ posts

AdamLaughlin
Now.

..And it's working! I needed to do a cache flush, though. (Ctrl+F5)

AdamLaughlin
Scratcher
66 posts

Sweet!