Discuss Scratch

Rex208
Scratcher
500+ posts

Dictionaries AND Lists [A lot of supporters]

Support. This would make everything easier.

PrincessPanda_test_
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support although this sounds confusing to me!

RandomPerson1789
Scratcher
100+ posts

Blaze349 wrote:

Work-aroundable.
Agree

Iditaroid wrote:

I think adding a third kind of data like this would make things a bit more complicated for children just getting into programming, i mean, they'll have a hard enough time figuring out what a “variable” is supposed to be anyway!
Yeah

So, No support
super_crazy
Scratcher
100+ posts

RandomPerson1789 wrote:

Blaze349 wrote:

Work-aroundable.
Agree

Iditaroid wrote:

I think adding a third kind of data like this would make things a bit more complicated for children just getting into programming, i mean, they'll have a hard enough time figuring out what a “variable” is supposed to be anyway!
Yeah

So, No support
New scratchers dont have to use them anyway. How many New scratchers actually understand the “Define” block, but we stil have it. Scratch is made for all ages from new programmers to advanced programmers.

gregory9
Scratcher
100+ posts

So you want 2-D arrays?
I support.

Use DuckDuckGo instead of Google, Bing, or Yahoo

Check out Coursacado, and SBX Share!

I am gw90 on GitHub
super_crazy
Scratcher
100+ posts

bump

1234abcdcba4321
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I still feel like the workaround is easy enough, it's really just two lists.

If it's for advanced scratchers at least make it 2d lists instead of 2 lists.

no support.

Last edited by 1234abcdcba4321 (Dec. 29, 2014 23:45:35)

I'd highly appreciate it if you were to follow me. Don't forget to go to my profile.
All of my programming suggestions <— You should really get the suggestions move back to the suggestions forum!
Five hundred posts! I never expected to get up there… In only 2-3 months.
Does anyone know what a signature is? I mean, I've already seen 6-7 people get confused.
super_crazy
Scratcher
100+ posts

1234abcdcba4321 wrote:

no support.
The workaround doesn't work 100% well and having dictionaires will make your code alot simplier and easy to use/understand.

Last edited by super_crazy (Dec. 30, 2014 01:19:08)

1234abcdcba4321
Scratcher
1000+ posts

super_crazy wrote:

1234abcdcba4321 wrote:

no support.
The workaround doesn't work 100% well and having dictionaires will make your code alot simplier and easy to use/understand.

yes it does, actually.
and I said 2d lists. that makes it a little key work is a little more confusing than this and 999% more useful.

I'd highly appreciate it if you were to follow me. Don't forget to go to my profile.
All of my programming suggestions <— You should really get the suggestions move back to the suggestions forum!
Five hundred posts! I never expected to get up there… In only 2-3 months.
Does anyone know what a signature is? I mean, I've already seen 6-7 people get confused.
MrSherlockHolmes
Scratcher
500+ posts

Nice concept but if you laid it out right you could have a list which had
Name: 12
Ollie: 15
Joe: 13
Where it split automatically.

Centred signature.
liam48D
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support.

202e-202e-202e-202e-202e UNI-CODE~~~~~
MrSherlockHolmes
Scratcher
500+ posts

Nice idea, but also, you could do a list with name and then data after that. Then another name and data, again and again.
define find [thing]
set [i v] to (-1)
repeat ((length of [list v])/(2))
change [i v] by (2)
if <(thing :: custom-arg)=(item (i) of [list v])
add (item ((i)+(1)) of [list v]) to [data v]

Last edited by MrSherlockHolmes (Dec. 30, 2014 16:01:20)

Centred signature.
super_crazy
Scratcher
100+ posts

MrSherlockHolmes wrote:

Nice idea, but also, you could do a list with name and then data after that. Then another name and data, again and again.
define find [thing]
set [i v] to (-1)
repeat ((length of [list v])/(2))
change [i v] by (2)
if <(thing :: custom-arg)=(item (i) of [list v])
add (item ((i)+(1)) of [list v]) to [data v]
Yes this would work but dictionaires will be easier to use and less complicated

super_crazy
Scratcher
100+ posts

bump

MushroomMan99
Scratcher
100+ posts

Semi-support

Advantage: May come in handy for some projects
Disadvantage: May take up a lot of space on the site for something not a lot of projects require.

when green flag clicked
if <(language) = [English ]> then

say [Everything is Awesome!] for (2) secs
end
if <(language) = [French ]> then

say [Tout est super-genial!] for (2) secs
end
if <(language) = [Italian ]> then

say [E meraviglioso!] for (2) secs
end
if <(language) = [Spanish ]> then

say [Todo es fabuloso!] for (2) secs
end
super_crazy
Scratcher
100+ posts

MushroomMan99 wrote:

Semi-support

Advantage: May come in handy for some projects
Disadvantage: May take up a lot of space on the site for something not a lot of projects require.
Thank you for the semi-support. I get what you mean with the taking up space but I have seen alot of projects that don't use the ‘define’ block but we still have it. I don't think it would be much of a problem

Zro716
Scratcher
1000+ posts

you keep spelling it “dictionaire”. I'm certain it's spelled “dictionary”, with a “y”

anyways, I don't understand exactly what you're suggesting: a 2-dimensional array, or a hashmap. if you mean 2d arrays, I support because that is extremely needed for so many personal uses. if you mean hashmaps, I'd give some support only because it's complicated and worked around much more simply than 2d arrays.

As a long time Scratcher, I have found new meaning to the name “Scratch”: for me, it means to “scratch that itch”, to come back again and again to realize new ideas in this toy language, even when I'm capable of creating my projects in real programming languages years later. It's a friend that helped me to pursue programming and get me to enjoy its fruit. I'm certain many others who have walked this path as well have grown fond of its importance in their life.
Wes64
Scratcher
500+ posts

it is possible to implement a functional dictionary with very fast lookup times by using two lists and inserting the keys in sequential order. then you can use binary search to find the values efficiently.

if you want to get complicated it is also possible to define nested lists and dictionaries using strings, such as [['A','B'],['C','D']]. you can construct a procedure to extract information respecting the brackets and commas. that is, item 1 of this list is ['A','B']. item 1 of item 1 is 'A'.

from this point it is simple to define a dictionary as [[key1,key2...keyN],[value1,value2...valueN]]. the point is that even nested lists and dictionaries have this workaround. i have built this code and the lookup time is very fast and usable.

Last edited by Wes64 (Jan. 1, 2015 23:54:48)

Using Firefox 46.0.1, Flash plugin version 21.0.0.242, and Windows 7 Professional.
A computer does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. - Murphy's Law
super_crazy
Scratcher
100+ posts

Zro716 wrote:

you keep spelling it “dictionaire”. I'm certain it's spelled “dictionary”, with a “y”

anyways, I don't understand exactly what you're suggesting: a 2-dimensional array, or a hashmap. if you mean 2d arrays, I support because that is extremely needed for so many personal uses. if you mean hashmaps, I'd give some support only because it's complicated and worked around much more simply than 2d arrays.
Yeah sort of like that.
(Opps, yeah I know its spelt dictionary. I keep forgeting)

LionsStair
Scratcher
100+ posts

This is similar to a thing in a python book I have calls map, but of course, the map function is different, but there is a way to use RPFluffy's List Variables to maybe configure it to do what you want, but I still support!

If I said no support highlight this from “Hi” to “AWESOME”:
Hi this isThink about your suggestion, was it going to benefit a majority of scratchers, did it have cons to a specific group, was it fully based on YOUR opinion, did you put some thought into the idea, simply forgot to read the sticky, has little pros, no purposeful reason, was there something wrong with scratch? If any of these apply to you think about your post, either revise it or close it.AWESOME
If I said support highlight this from “Hi” to “COOL”:
Hi I think this isDo you think you could add to your suggestion, or do you wish to keep it the same? Doesn't matter as long as people support it!!COOL

Because I can do stuff Highlight:If you followed my instructions, I will give you a free stuffollow
Check out my feed here! List of my favorite music

Because I can do stuff:

Like this ^ and this v
You must be hallucinating!
automagiacally = automatically do something
If you don't get the pun: *Facepalm*
KUMQUATS ARE HERE TO EAT, EAT, EAT!

Remember to ALWAYS: Clicky That Sticky!

A Lion's Stare is a neutral stare yet is filled with so many stairs of moods, it never hurts, or never loves, it never does, or never nothing. A Lion's Stare is a Stair.

Life's a mystery, yet so unfair,
DEAL WIT IT.

(Insert epic lion face here)