Discuss Scratch

god286
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The JNETL Programming Language, Jayden's Neat Efficient Language. Coming soon!

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

Jonathan50 wrote:

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

a… what what what?
Sorry, my original answer was kinda curt. I edited it a bit. A parser generator (like GNU Bison) is a program that takes a specification of your language's grammar (syntax) and generates a parser using a particular algorithm. Bison is for C, but there are probably parser generators for whatever languages you're familiar with.
it looks confusing it doesn't even tell me where to start.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6142643/python3-parser-generator

_ ____  ___   __   
__ _ ___ __| |___ \( _ ) / /_
/ _` |/ _ \ / _` | __) / _ \| '_ \
| (_| | (_) | (_| |/ __/ (_) | (_) |
\__, |\___/ \__,_|_____\___/ \___/
|___/
^ inspired by @Chiroyce, made with figlet

Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Also knowing about recursion will help greatly, (unless your programming language is meant to be like assembly,) because expressions like 3*(2*x + 5) or f(g(x)) are recursive in structure (just meaning an expression may contain one or more other expressions — so a function to evaluate one would work by calling itself.) (You could also make a so-called recursive descent parser, which is pretty easy, if you didn't want to use a parser generator.)

Last edited by Jonathan50 (Dec. 12, 2021 04:03:45)

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

:function (/"myfunction") [
:print /"myfunction";
]

:myfunction
Functions example.

Tired of the mainstream browsers being so darn slow, taking so much RAM on your super old laptop. Well, Catalyst is the solution. It is a zero compromise browser that will run on anything! Available for Windows, MacOS, and Linux! It is super fast and customizable with a fresh and modern UI!!!.

Always use the latest version of an antivirus. To get the latest security and protection, it is also recommended to use the latest version of MacOS or one that get's security patches. Update your software or you will regret it, and you will have several risks waiting for you.

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

variables.jnetl
:def *a = [ */hello ]

^from &variables.jnetl :do (import *.**);

:print *a

importing example

new syntax tho

^, usually for from and if functions
&, file
*.*, specify type
*, variable

Last edited by MagicCrayon9342 (Dec. 12, 2021 04:20:08)

Tired of the mainstream browsers being so darn slow, taking so much RAM on your super old laptop. Well, Catalyst is the solution. It is a zero compromise browser that will run on anything! Available for Windows, MacOS, and Linux! It is super fast and customizable with a fresh and modern UI!!!.

Always use the latest version of an antivirus. To get the latest security and protection, it is also recommended to use the latest version of MacOS or one that get's security patches. Update your software or you will regret it, and you will have several risks waiting for you.

god286
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I have a suggestion
:declare [ *hw === /'hello, world' ];
:delete *hw
:delete can delete variables from memory
:declare [ *foo === /'abc' ];
:declare [ *bar === /'def' ];
:print /global
global returns all defined variables

_ ____  ___   __   
__ _ ___ __| |___ \( _ ) / /_
/ _` |/ _ \ / _` | __) / _ \| '_ \
| (_| | (_) | (_| |/ __/ (_) | (_) |
\__, |\___/ \__,_|_____\___/ \___/
|___/
^ inspired by @Chiroyce, made with figlet

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

god286 wrote:

I have a suggestion
:declare [ *hw === /'hello, world' ];
:delete *hw
:delete can delete variables from memory
:declare [ *foo === /'abc' ];
:declare [ *bar === /'def' ];
:print /global
global returns all defined variables
/ means string
I don't think /global'd make sense
how about

%longstring string01 === [^get &ALL_LOCAL_VARS];

also i already have :def, :define

Last edited by MagicCrayon9342 (Dec. 12, 2021 04:25:54)

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

What other functions/ expressions, and syntax should I add to the list of things to add when i make the interpreter. Keep suggesting and thinking, I'll be back tomorrow.

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bump

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

doesn't JNETL code just look so clean and readable…

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bump, who want's to help make the intepreter

NFlex23
Scratcher
500+ posts

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

(#20)

Jonathan50 wrote:

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

a… what what what?
Sorry, my original answer was kinda curt. I edited it a bit. A parser generator (like GNU Bison) is a program that takes a specification of your language's grammar (syntax) and generates a parser using a particular algorithm. Bison is for C, but there are probably parser generators for whatever languages you're familiar with.
I used one for Talon; it actually makes it a whole lot easier.

King of excessively editing posts
NFlex23
••
Programmer | #TrustTheST

Math • Raspberry Pi • Python • GitHub

Ninetails: a private, fast, and beautiful web browser.
MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

NFlex23 wrote:

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

(#20)

Jonathan50 wrote:

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

a… what what what?
I'd prefer a non-generated parser so I can make it entirely customized and to my own needs of JNETL. I don't want this to be an easy language, i want it to be stressful. That's the whole point of it!

NFlex23
Scratcher
500+ posts

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

(#32)

NFlex23 wrote:

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

(#20)

Jonathan50 wrote:

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

a… what what what?
I'd prefer a non-generated parser so I can make it entirely customized and to my own needs of JNETL. I don't want this to be an easy language, i want it to be stressful. That's the whole point of it!
I think you're missing the point. A parser allows you to make an entirely customizable language easily. And it's not generated; you still have to write the parsing grammar yourself. This is Talon's grammar: https://github.com/MystPi/talon/blob/main/talon/syntax.lark

Last edited by NFlex23 (Jan. 12, 2022 22:02:00)

King of excessively editing posts
NFlex23
••
Programmer | #TrustTheST

Math • Raspberry Pi • Python • GitHub

Ninetails: a private, fast, and beautiful web browser.
MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

NFlex23 wrote:

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

(#32)

NFlex23 wrote:

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

(#20)

Jonathan50 wrote:

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

a… what what what?
I think you're missing the point. A parser allows you to make an entirely customizable language easily. And it's not generated; you still have to write the parsing grammar yourself. This is Talon's grammar: https://github.com/MystPi/talon/blob/main/talon/syntax.lark
tbh JNETL's community never existed. You do Talon I might contribute and leave JNETL behind.