Discuss Scratch

NFlex23
Scratcher
1000+ posts

[ARCHIVED] Ninetails: a private, fast, and beautiful web browser.

god286 wrote:

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

I made a quick installation script, don't use this script twice, don't even use it yet.
Isn't npm start just for development and shouldn't really be used when actually working? Instead build it for an optimised browser?
Exactly. Nintetails will be like 10% faster if you install a built version.

Last edited by NFlex23 (Dec. 4, 2021 12:32:40)

Help improve the Advanced Topics (Really!)
Before you create a topic:
Always search for duplicates or other similar topics before making an umbrella topic, e.g., “The Mac Topic”.
  • Is it about something you are planning on making but haven't made yet? If so, please wait to post until you have created a working prototype. This is a key factor to keeping the ATs as clean as possible.
  • The ATs aren't technical support. It is perfectly valid to ask questions about things related to programming, but not issues with external websites, apps, or devices. Most sites have their own support system; try asking there!
  • Is it related to something you are making in Scratch? (This includes OSes and other Scratch projects) If so, please post in Collaboration, Show and Tell, or another similar forum.
  • Is your topic questionably “advanced”? Try browsing the other forums to see if your topic fits better in one of those.
  • Issues with Scratch itself should be put in Bugs and Glitches.
Before you post: Is what you're posting likely to start an argument or derail the thread (e.g., browsers, operating systems)? If so, please re-think your post!

NFlex23
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

update: npm run build only makes a deb and arm64 package, not a binary.
also it shows an error anyway

update 2: the error is dpkg and fakeroot not being installed, this is a debian only thing. I use fedora
I can extract any deb however, and extract a binary
You need dpkg and fakeroot to build. It's not my problem, it's electron forge's.

Always search for duplicates or other similar topics before making an umbrella topic, e.g., “The Mac Topic”.
  • Is it about something you are planning on making but haven't made yet? If so, please wait to post until you have created a working prototype. This is a key factor to keeping the ATs as clean as possible.
  • The ATs aren't technical support. It is perfectly valid to ask questions about things related to programming, but not issues with external websites, apps, or devices. Most sites have their own support system; try asking there!
  • Is it related to something you are making in Scratch? (This includes OSes and other Scratch projects) If so, please post in Collaboration, Show and Tell, or another similar forum.
  • Is your topic questionably “advanced”? Try browsing the other forums to see if your topic fits better in one of those.
Before you post: Is what you're posting likely to start an argument or derail the thread (e.g., browsers, operating systems)? If so, please re-think your post!

NFlex23
Scratcher
1000+ posts

From now on, errors (of any kind, including building errors) go on Ninetails' issue page. I don't want this thread to become too offtopic.

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Since NineTails can't/hasn't yet become compilable in x86_64, you denying my PR because it used NPM commands doesn't make sense. You HAVE to use npm start on x86_64 since you haven't compiled any binaries. I already proved it impossible with your finicky build system.

Last edited by MagicCrayon9342 (Dec. 4, 2021 16:02:23)

NFlex23
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

Since NineTails can't/hasn't yet become compilable in x86_64, you denying my PR because it used NPM commands doesn't make sense. You HAVE to use npm start on x86_64 since you haven't compiled any binaries. I already proved it impossible with your finicky build system.
It doesn't work for you because you're on Fedora. It's configured to make .deb, .exe, and .zip files.

What file type does Fedora use?

Last edited by NFlex23 (Dec. 4, 2021 16:09:08)

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

NFlex23 wrote:

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

It doesn't work for you because you're on Fedora. It's configured to make .deb, .exe, and .zip files.

What file type does Fedora use?
it uses RPMs

https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/create-rpm-package
https://opensource.com/article/18/9/how-build-rpm-packages

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Even then, the *.deb file has an arm64 package. I'm on x86_64
I extracted the binaries from the deb file and put them in their respective folders and it didn't execute
because its a arm64 binary

NFlex23
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

I extracted the binaries from the deb file and put them in their respective folders and it didn't execute
Yes, I know, because that's what I built on my arm64 machine. Once I get a x86_64 machine in a few weeks I will build for Windows and Linux. I'll also add RPM support right now, so you can build if you want.

Edit: done. Try cloning and running `npm run make` again.

Last edited by NFlex23 (Dec. 4, 2021 16:23:24)

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

NFlex23 wrote:

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

Yes, I know, because that's what I built on my arm64 machine. Once I get a x86_64 machine in a few weeks I will build for Windows and Linux. I'll also add RPM support right now, so you can build if you want.

can you also add RPM (64 bit) support in the build system
maybe “npm run makerpm64” or somethin

NFlex23
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

NFlex23 wrote:

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

It has always been supported!! Just run `npm run make` and it will automatically detect your architecture and build the right package. Any other issues you have go on the repo.

Last edited by NFlex23 (Dec. 4, 2021 16:29:11)

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

NFlex23 wrote:

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

NFlex23 wrote:

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

It's always been supported!! Just run `npm run make`. Any other issues you have go on the repo.
it shows an error that dpkg and fakeroot aren't installed, plus it only does arm64

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

An unhandled rejection has occurred inside Forge:
Error: Cannot make for deb, the following external binaries need to be installed: dpkg, fakeroot
at MakerDeb.ensureExternalBinariesExist (/tmp/488/node_modules/@electron-forge/maker-base/src/Maker.ts:147:13)
at _default (/tmp/488/node_modules/@electron-forge/core/src/api/make.ts:155:11)
at /tmp/488/node_modules/@electron-forge/cli/src/electron-forge-make.ts:44:5

Electron Forge was terminated. Location:
{}

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I FOUND THE PROBLEM

You made the build system a terrible way

I had to make fake dpkg and fakeroot binaries in order to build for RPM

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Yay, adding the fake dpkg and fakeroot binaries and installing rpm-build gave me a 64 bit RPM package!

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

echo "" > fakeroot
echo "" > dpkg
sudo cp -r fakeroot /bin
sudo cp -r dpkg /bin

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Just a question, does ninetails use any freecat-electron source code?

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I will package and provide pre-made RPMs and zip files of compiled ninetails for 64 bit

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

kccuber
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Ok, let me try building for windows. be back in like 15 mins

Made using Nord Theme & Inkscape
MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

kccuber wrote:

Ok, let me try building for windows. be back in like 15 mins
should it just autodetect WinNT and build an executable